Topic: Rail corridor

Posted on: 23rd Apr 2012 6:06 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi fellow bikers,

I am wondering if anyone has ride thru the whole rail corridor recently?

I'm keen to MTB thru the whole corridor but I'm not sure if it can be done. I also want to make sure that i dont get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Anyone who had done, kindly advise.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/railcorridor/map.html

Regular Forumer
17 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 25th Apr 2012 12:12 PM    Quote and Reply

Apparently you can ride all the way unobstructed from the bt ktm station to tanjong pagar. However, 2 bridges, one near the Rail Mall(over Hillview Rd) and one behind Ten Mile junction, are removed.. These info are read from the rail corridor FB page. I've been trying to find time to ride from bt to woodlands..

I am the "I Am" before the I am this or that.
Regular Forumer
133 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 29th Apr 2012 12:03 PM    Quote and Reply

Just went this morning. Need to add that another bridge after kranji rd is removed as well. So to get to woodlands you need to take the roads to the other side of the river..

Regular Forumer
133 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Apr 2012 5:56 AM    Quote and Reply

Many thanks for the infor, I would like to walk that wonderful route again (longest foot reflexology walk in the world). 

Regular Forumer
6,102 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Apr 2012 12:20 PM    Quote and Reply

lol, you reminded me, most stretches of the rail corridor have no single trail and still newly planted with tuffs of new grass sticking out: a good reflexology for cycling. So bumpy that i had to stand to crank most of the time!!! This is more true for the bt-kranji stretch; the bt-tanjong pagar is much better with trails developing after people start to trek and cycle..

Regular Forumer
133 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Sep 2012 2:19 PM    Quote and Reply

I will be doing the Teck Whye (Near Ten Mile Junction) - Woodland next Saturday morning.Today just did Teck Whye - Ghim Moh (near Civil Service College).So of the trail are quite bumpy especially Bukit Timah area.

Lor Sor Forumer
166 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 14th Sep 2012 9:24 AM    Quote and Reply

I get on the train tracks at bukit merah behind one of the car workshops (saw a peacock in there the other day...weird), I can get off in an old HDB estate, just before the fenced off train station in town, and have found an old vacant plot (must have been a grand old house, but the jungle has reclaimed the land) that I can ride over into town, then I take back streets into my office in Cecil St. Sooo very happy we have the option to get off the road now!

Condition of the track is still a bit lumpy, I use a hartail mtb, but it would be uncomfortable on a foldie or even a cyclocross bike I reckon, and there are a few muddy sections if it rains. No bridges to cross, but a couple to go under, and they still have the rocks there, so small or skinny wheels would make it a bit of a challange. I am currently building up a steel 29er as my new commuter especially for this route.

Regular Forumer
1,361 posts
Forum Rep: 11

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Sep 2012 7:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by motomuppet: I get on the train tracks at bukit merah behind one of the car workshops (saw a peacock in there the other day...weird)"

If this area is the workshops around Alexandra village, it's near my office... hmm...wish I have MTB to explore more ..May be will try out once on foldie on dry days...

Regular Forumer
14 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 15th Sep 2012 8:24 PM    Quote and Reply

Formerly posted by motomuppet: I get on the train tracks at bukit merah behind one of the car workshops (saw a peacock in there the other day...weird), I can get off in an old HDB estate, just before the fenced off train station in town, and have found an old vacant plot (must have been a grand old house, but the jungle has reclaimed the land) that I can ride over into town, then I take back streets into my office in Cecil St. Sooo very happy we have the option to get off the road now!

Hi motomuppet,

Help needed. Which HDB estate and vacant plot are you referring to? Looks like it's all fenced up near the station, can't find an opening to get out! Do I have to climb over some railing? Thanks a lot. 

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Sep 2012 6:00 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Dennis7777: Hi fellow bikers,

I am wondering if anyone has ride thru the whole rail corridor recently?

I'm keen to MTB thru the whole corridor but I'm not sure if it can be done. I also want to make sure that i dont get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Anyone who had done, kindly advise.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/railcorridor/map.html

"

Had seen some peolpe did that before the track got closed down for dismantling.

Regular Forumer
6,102 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Sep 2012 4:55 PM    Quote and Reply

A quick update for those still interested in cycling along the rail corridor. I was just there last sunday (16 sept 2012) so here are some pointers:

• Easiest place to start is from Bukit Timah Railway station. Just head onto the track and pedal

• There are no major disruption alongs the way. Smooth riding albeit some rocky paths under the flyovers / highways.

• The ride will end midway just beside the AYE (ECP) exit. I believe its the keppel exit or the lower delta exit.

• The end is fenced up so there is no way thru.

• You can exit by crossing a small gap / drain and enter a neighbourhood block of low rise flats

• The moment you exit and raise your sight to the sky above the blocks, you will see Pinnacle. That tall looking block of flats, you can use as your landmark point to continue your journey to elsewhere.

So this was my experience along the corridor. Hope its slightly useful for those planning to ride there.

Ride Hard, Fall Hard, Stand Tall
Regular Forumer
17 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings