Topic: What is a good touring bike?

Posted on: 29th Sep 2020 9:12 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi, 

Looking for recommendations on foldie for touring overseas and it will be self-support so need to take a good load. 
However, it will be mostly be on flat and smooth road surface. Not much of trail and uphills. 

Thanks in advance. 
Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Sep 2020 3:59 PM    Quote and Reply

That should be a Bike Friday!

Regular Forumer
1,333 posts
Forum Rep: 23

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Sep 2020 4:01 PM    Quote and Reply

should be made form a chromoly 4130 steel. strong and flexible but heavy and rust prone.

Regular Forumer
1,333 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Sep 2020 4:03 PM    Quote and Reply

ideally a steel 26inch wheel makes a best one. go find out more and why. then you understand it.

Regular Forumer
1,333 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Oct 2020 8:47 AM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for all the reply. Looking at really a 16 or max 20 inch wheels coz of the ease of packing and bringing on board public transport if required. 80km is probably the max we will do in a single day. My heart is really with a Brompton coz of its compact size but it's proprietary parts are really a turn off.  Hence wanting to tap on the experience in this forum from those who done touring overseas in a foldie .

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Oct 2020 10:17 AM    Quote and Reply

as last year july, use my bike friday on a 21 days round msia tour, without a rest day. so far so good with it. thankfully done it as this year can't travel anywhere yet.....

Regular Forumer
1,333 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Oct 2020 12:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kona-bros: as last year july, use my bike friday on a 21 days round msia tour, without a rest day. so far so good with it. thankfully done it as this year can't travel anywhere yet....."

Which of your bikes did you use for touring bro? 21 days such a long stretch.. Condition must be prestine both for the bike and the rider haha. 

Regular Forumer
214 posts
Forum Rep: 55

Togoparts Team Member
Singapore
Riding:
1) Test
Posted on: 7th Oct 2020 4:10 PM    Quote and Reply

Would recommend you to look at Gravel Bikes :) 

Cannoldale Topstone, Merida Stelix, Giant Revolt and etc 

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Oct 2020 3:56 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kent.paulo:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by kona-bros: as last year july, use my bike friday on a 21 days round msia tour, without a rest day. so far so good with it. thankfully done it as this year can't travel anywhere yet....."

Which of your bikes did you use for touring bro? 21 days such a long stretch.. Condition must be prestine both for the bike and the rider haha. "

agree. bike & rider still managable. mental plays a part too, not just the physical. Ride Eat Shower Sleep & repeat. Thou tired, but rewarding plus shared memories with my 2 other kakis. While others may not feel it.

Regular Forumer
1,333 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Oct 2020 4:03 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by nevesang: Thanks for all the reply. Looking at really a 16 or max 20 inch wheels coz of the ease of packing and bringing on board public transport if required. 80km is probably the max we will do in a single day. My heart is really with a Brompton coz of its compact size but it's proprietary parts are really a turn off.  Hence wanting to tap on the experience in this forum from those who done touring overseas in a foldie ."

if using brompy bike, be sure to understand and know how to service it. for handling a smaller wheel for tour, better conditioned up more. The weather, terrain, crosswinds, distance, timing, packing, situation, planning adjustment, tour budget, ambience, mood & etc.

Regular Forumer
1,333 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Apr 2021 2:49 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:

Can share your trip?
your pack list?
I plan to cycle to Malacca or nearer Towns. 

I assume the Msia "flat" road are similar to Mandai Road?
need to buy spare tires?

I plan to use 700c hybrid bicycle only pack 2 sets of clothings and stay in hotel. 80km per day.... plus minus

Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings

Your quickest cycling fix with comprehensive marketplace and exciting virtual challenges.