Subject: Lights for night cycling

About Bicycle Accessories & Wear-ables Forum:
Pumps, backlights, computers, helmets, saddle bags, cool shades and even vintage parts
You are not logged-in, Please Login

Lights for night cycling

Posted on: 8th Apr 2013 5:24 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Maxxevv: Almost all the 'affordable' single led lamps that rate above 1000 lumens are overated. If you look around on the web, from people who have actual lumens measurement devices, they are in the range of 600-650 lumens only.  The better ones only achieve close to 900 lumens. So far only the really expensive lights do have close to the claimed 1000 lumens. And that with the condition that heat is properly displaced.

Practically though, even off road, 600 lumens is quite suffice if the light spread is good and even.  But problem with most of these 'affordable' lights is that the lens design is not quite there ... hence many resort to using 2 for offroad use to get the appropriate spread.

As for white versus blue .... try looking at them from 200 meters, the blue light will be significantly less visible for the same light output.  If you value your life ... then you should know the correct choice.

"

agreed about the cost of actual lighting and the actual claimed rating which may be overstated.
You pay for what you get.
i bought an expensive light from moon (1500 lumens)
and another for my road bike (niterider 300 lumens from hup leong)
i find for road is good to use 300 lumens with blinking for riding at night to get attention of lorries and other vehicles.
it may irritate other on coming riders but its not as bright as cars HID or daytime driving lights. better safer than sorly :P

Regular Forumer
238 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Apr 2013 4:42 PM    Quote and Reply

Bright lights need, at the very least, lithium ion batteries.

Regular Forumer
590 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Apr 2013 1:29 PM    Quote and Reply

Last month, I bought at a budget shop, one that is bright enough to see the road like a headlamp where the street illumination is inadequate. Then I bought a second one. One tilted to focus closer range than the other. Last week I just realized they already flattened the 3 AAA batteries in each of them. Batteries can last very much longer with these front lights switched to faster blinking mode. I had them in constant/flood-lighting mode. Next time buy size 'D' battery to power them?

Regular Forumer
6,052 posts
Forum Rep: 45

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Apr 2013 1:03 PM    Quote and Reply

Almost all the 'affordable' single led lamps that rate above 1000 lumens are overated. If you look around on the web, from people who have actual lumens measurement devices, they are in the range of 600-650 lumens only.  The better ones only achieve close to 900 lumens. So far only the really expensive lights do have close to the claimed 1000 lumens. And that with the condition that heat is properly displaced.

Practically though, even off road, 600 lumens is quite suffice if the light spread is good and even.  But problem with most of these 'affordable' lights is that the lens design is not quite there ... hence many resort to using 2 for offroad use to get the appropriate spread.

As for white versus blue .... try looking at them from 200 meters, the blue light will be significantly less visible for the same light output.  If you value your life ... then you should know the correct choice.

Lor Sor Forumer
520 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Apr 2013 12:28 PM    Quote and Reply

is there any difference between white light and blue light other than their colour?

Regular Forumer
34 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Jul 2010 8:31 AM        

Hi guys,
Am looking for Bright lights for night Cycling(Road Bike)
Hope you guys could recommend me some, and hope you guys could give me a rough pricing.
Thanks guys
Cheers
wickerman
22nd Jun 2010
Show earlier posts
Login to see your Forum Rankings

Your quickest cycling fix with comprehensive marketplace and exciting virtual challenges.