Subject: How often do you clean and lube your chain and gears?

About Chit Chat, Talk Kok, Sing a Song Forum:
A place for like-minded togoparts folks to hangout. Everything under the sun goes here. Think of it as a bar!
You are not logged-in, Please Login

How often do you clean and lube your chain and gears?

Posted on: 12th Apr 2016 8:29 PM    Quote and Reply

I only lube when I feel the performance drops or the drivetrain start to get noisy. If you ride enough and is very particular about efficiency you will know when the bike needs a new lube. 

If you want the best lube, you can use ceramic wax lube. It is like the steroid of all lube. Last only for one ride at peak performance but need to lube again the next ride to get the same peak performance again. 

Regular Forumer
344 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 12th Apr 2016 3:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ryancy: Btw got 2 time of lubricant. Wet and Dry. Which is more recommended?"

Given the current weather condition, I use dry lube. If the location you cycle ain't that dusty or kicks up a lot of dirt or grim, wet lube is fine too. Once the weather turns wetter, then I stick to wet lube full time.

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 12th Apr 2016 11:11 AM    Quote and Reply

Was recommended to use wax lube. Wet is good if you don't intend to lube frequently or riding in the rain but I can't stand the grime, dry lube apparently is suitable for our climate. 

My 2 cents 

Regular Forumer
16 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Apr 2016 10:53 AM    Quote and Reply

Btw got 2 time of lubricant. Wet and Dry. Which is more recommended?

Regular Forumer
41 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 12th Apr 2016 10:25 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by SgtJoe86:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: If your not doing your chain cleaning like this you are not doing it properly BTW

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html";

LOL bro, if you scroll all the way down, there's a disclaimer that the page is a joke :D
The real link is this http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Basically, same stuff as most chain maintenance routine ;)"

LOL - I was wondering if anyone was going to take that seriously, replace all the outer plates and pins with 57 SRAM powerlinks at a cost of US$100 - hilarious.

Regular Forumer
2,624 posts
Forum Rep: 235

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Apr 2016 10:01 AM        

How often do you guys clean and lube your bike chain and gears? Got advice from a mechanic to lube at least once a week. Lets say If I only ride once or twice a week is that okay?
ryancy Portrait Uploaded
8th Apr 2016
Show earlier posts
Login to see your Forum Rankings