Topic: Rant about bike shop bashing and online information.

Posted on: 21st Sep 2012 8:57 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by marry: Hello guys, what’s going on?  LBS  is now out the standard! oh
i agre with you boycotting is good start.......  i just went 4 months ago to this shop and their behavbior is just disgusting "

I hope I am not the one. We tend to be a bit rowdy and vulgar towards regulars and ourselves, but all in the name of fun. Do let us know if you are uncomfortable with that and we will tone it down.

Regular Forumer
468 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 3rd Oct 2012 10:24 AM    Quote and Reply

about off topic here, but which websites do you rec to do research on? I would like to get some good and reliable info before visitng the LBS thanks!

Regular Forumer
11 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Oct 2012 11:40 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ashleysweet44: about off topic here, but which websites do you rec to do research on? I would like to get some good and reliable info before visitng the LBS thanks!"

Just read through forums and google some reviews.

The shops I've been to have provided me with quite a good service, I think other than bashing those unsatisfactory ones, might as well also list those shops who had better service together.

How good the service was, you judge. Just sharing my experiences

First time at Roadalink @ Commonwealth, I went there to switch my rotors from centrelock to 6 bolt.
Service by this young malay sales assistant was great, my rotor was a little shaky and he took the liberty to inform me instead of simply screwing the rotor in. (which would have made the rotor sturdy, but not for long) Chit Chat for awhile, he had a feeling that this might not be right and recommended me that I should go to Treknology. But before that he called his friend who was working there to check first so that I don't waste my time. Turned out that the slight movement was normal. After screwing the rotor tight, he added that if it should come loose, then can go back to him for a free adjustment.

First time at Treknology, well, not much a story, was charged $25 to trim an Avid Brake hose, which I think its fair. When I left with my bike sales assistant rushed to the door to help open it.

First time (and more to come) at Two Wheel Action @ Clementi, went there to change wheelsets (including tire, rotors everything) as well as crankset. Mechanic Ah Tan was very professional and fast, switched the whole wheelset over rather quickly, he also helped to true my wheel without me asking for it.
Forgot to bring the BB for the crankset, hence had to bring it back. Kelvin, the store manager was nice enough to suggest that I leave it there and come back the next day to fix it on. I told him I'll come back 3 days later as I wasn't free and he was also ok with it.
Before I left he suggested to help me tie the wheels together so that it wouldn't obstruct me riding back to school. Meticulously caring to customers. oh, and for the service charge he charged me at a student price as I study in SP.

I'm not a rich guy, nor do I use credit cards to pay. Had rather good experiences in bike shops that I visited so thought you guys should know (and probably try).

Drivers: You own a car, not the road.
Regular Forumer
37 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 3rd Oct 2012 1:28 PM    Quote and Reply

Right now, do your reasearch in the sheldonbrown.com website. Tons of info there. Best to be equipped with bike knowledge before you visit a bikeshop so chance of sales personnel BSing you is reduced.

Regular Forumer
66 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Oct 2012 1:28 PM    Quote and Reply

Alternatively, I can help you also. Feel free to PM me your questions. I will answer by tonight.

Regular Forumer
66 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Oct 2012 8:58 PM    Quote and Reply

I like to raise up this old thread where injustice is brought up online to show bad service standard and defective product sold that warrant a trip to small claims.

http://www.togoparts.com/forum/showthread.php?fid=3&tid=63700&loc=active&cb=&highlight=

I would encourage injusticed customers to exercise LEMON LAW and show your evidence online instead of bashing away. If there is no evidence, it is either your words against my words. But if the bike shop still value their image and welcome ALL types of customers, then they better up their service standard. That is what Lemon Law is all about, protection against consumers.

Hail Lemon Law! x3

Poor cooperoh, if lemon law is out then, KH cycles would have change the bike or refund him 100%.
I did meet up with him and saw the evidence. Pity him.

Senior Forumer
58 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Oct 2012 9:03 PM    Quote and Reply

Here's a story... when i first started seriously cycling in the mid 90's (and no such thing as togoparts forum then), the bunch of veteran riders i rode with told me this (after i told them i was not too happy about my bike frame size which the bike shop recommended)... "well, usually your first bike will not be your perfect bike... but learn from this so that your next bike will".

Regular Forumer
43 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th Jan 2013 1:43 PM    Quote and Reply

desperate for help here ..... every LBS i have been to so far dont know how to service a Shimano Nexus 8 internal gear hub... can someone point me to a LBS that can do this ?

Regular Forumer
284 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Jan 2013 4:34 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by edng: desperate for help here ..... every LBS i have been to so far dont know how to service a Shimano Nexus 8 internal gear hub... can someone point me to a LBS that can do this ?

"

you can look up shimano website for the disassembling of the hub
http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

If ya legs ain't stopping, y'all gonna get there.
Regular Forumer
203 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Feb 2013 4:19 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by alexander77: WEnt to this LBS, when I enter, the staff saw me but pretend as if he did not  see me..
A few minutes later an angmo came in. Staff to the angmo"good afternoon sir, how can I help"  WTF
C'est La vie
 "

I had almost the same double standard treament at Rodalink.

Was at Jurong East branch and browsing water bottles beside the counter. One Ang Mo made purchase and mentioned he did not had his membership card with him. The malay salesman said " Its alright Sir, you dont need it". (I remember those were the exact words)

After I had choosen the bottle and went for paymet. I said I did not have the membership card with me. The salesman replied : "I'm sorry Sir, we will need your card for the discount (can't remember exact word). I was like WTF?? Ang Mo "tua ki" (big weewee)? Trying to be double standard here this salesman. I keep my cool and asked if he could use my IC number instead. Reluctantly he did.

I am  damn disappointed with Rodalink now, all because of such service from your staff. Now I make my purchases online from ChainReactionCycles.com!

Regular Forumer
10 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings