Topic: Rant about bike shop bashing and online information.

Posted on: 26th Jun 2010 10:20 AM    Quote and Reply

Please dont give the cold-shoulder treatment to students....

i may only be able to afford deore gruppo/tiagra gruppo bike at best
i may only be able to afford a fox shox while sleeping(DREAMING)
my biking terminology may be limited, my comments may sound a little imature at times
i may not be the one who will be dishing out the credit-card.

but please treat me as you would any other well-mannered adult customer.
think about it, theres at least two generations worth of possible customers (myself and my future kids).
we may be the easiest to ignore but we are there for a reason.
(to recce for not so SHOCKING prices for a father who expects a Met helmet to cost the same as a Prowell)

we humans take first-impressions too seriously. All it takes is one visit, a first bad experience from only just one employee...(you get the flow) and sadly im one who judges on first-impressions.

Some of you out there are great and you respect us as you would any customer. I thank you for that

i may be new, a poor newbie to add, but please do give me the time to learn, the chance to step-up to a higher level in a sport i loved since my kids training wheels days.

Regular Forumer
103 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Japan
Riding:
Posted on: 26th Jun 2010 3:43 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by YetiYoung: About six months ago I took my top-of-the-line Yeti ASR to the branch in Bangkok for a servicing. At night, the shop stored my bike outside in an poorly secured area and it was subsequently stolen. "

Wow jeez I feel your pain dude.  I don't know what I'll do if that happened to me.  Probably take it to Small Claims tribunals until I'm given a comparable replacement... 

Regular Forumer
135 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 25th Mar 2011 8:00 PM    Quote and Reply

Will I ever send my BIKE TO TREKNOLOGY AGAIN?

Sent tri bike to Treknology at Jalan Kilang Barat off Bukit Merah for servicing (THE MEGA SHOWROOM), tune up and they broke my rear derailer. They say it's not their fault as the nut holding the cable was not the right nut on the Rear derailer. When they loosen it, it just broke off. Claim that it's either my old bike shop that used a unusually large nut or the previous owner that I bought the bike from used the wrong nut.

What they are willing to offer me is a 10% discount on new derailer- DO you call this a fair service from such a BIG BIKE SHOP? I said fine, whatever, i can pay, but I am only willing to pay half of the new derailer costs as i feel that the damage done to my derailer and whose fault is subjective. They flatly refused and said it's not their fault still.

My bike was okay when it was wheeled in and now i cannot ride it. Why is it not their fault? Saturday is also my day of training.... Such inconvenience. I really regretted putting my bike there.

What can i say, when a BIG BIKE SHOP LIKE TREKNOLOGY BA BODOH? sigh.....

YOU TELL ME.... My OLD BIKE SHOP- will never screw me like this.....

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 28th Jun 2011 4:43 PM    Quote and Reply

I been riding a old mountain bicycle with modified road tyres for close to 20 years with shimano gears. Finally i decided to upgrade to a proper road bicycle. I went to khcycle at ubi but the young saleman failed to convince me to get a 1500+ Scott road bicycle. I left and hop on a cab and i am glad to meet a cab uncle whom is a bicycle hobbist. He recommended me a shop : Heap Hong & Co Blk 683 Tessensohn Rd #01-113 The cabby drove me over and drop me infront of the shop.

The service at Heap Hong was excellent as the owner could attend to my needs and budget of $1100++ More important is the service attitude and not every new bicycle person like me knows the complex names of components...etc. Frankly i cant appreciate it too. But the owner of Heap Hong was able to meet my customised needs and i collected my new bicycle the next day.

Got a simple wheeler 1.3 Route 18 Speed. I am a happy owner my first road bicycle.

I did go by bike boutique at kaki bukit and the prices of the bikes are 4k above...beyond my budget but the shop sales staff was polite. Maybe next time...

Regular Forumer
13 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Sep 2011 1:53 PM    Quote and Reply

Went to this bike shop at keat hong around cck... brought down my wheels to the shop to remove my avid G3 cleansweep rotor.. once arrived there,was entertained by the shop lady.. told her i want to removed my rotor can u guys help me remove,she ask the guy shop owner,he spoke in mandarin.. the lady reply,will be $15 to removed it!!!! he told me rotor very sharp to remove it so will be $15.. haha!!

i wanted to laugh,he didn't even check what rotor i'm using and he give me that kind of reason.. 
*avid cleensweep rotor is not sharp lah...  gave him a fake smile,say thank u n left the shop... 
i've been in this hobby for more than 10 yrs and never ever i have encounter this kind of shop... 
he also qouted tay cycle also charge at that price.. 

*i dun mind paying 5 bucks for the service.. this type of simple service u give to young riders,i doubt they won't visit your shop.. disappointed.. 

THANK YOU ULU CYCLE!!!!!!! 

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Sep 2011 9:51 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"

The service at Heap Hong was excellent as the owner could attend to my needs and budget of $1100++ More important is the service attitude and not every new bicycle person like me knows the complex names of components...etc. Frankly i cant appreciate it too. But the owner of Heap Hong was able to meet my customised needs and i collected my new bicycle the next day.

"

Yes Heap Hong is an excellent choice.  If you go to any of the swanky shops at say, Vertex, just remember that they need to sell as much high end stuff as possible to make the $$$$ to cover the rental costs. 

Heap Hong's Ah Wee owns the shop space outright, taking over from his father.  So there are still gems like that in Singapore where the shop owners have been around for a long time and built up a loyal client base. 

Regular Forumer
1,719 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Oct 2011 3:36 PM    Quote and Reply

I recently visited a bike shop near my office (do not want to name the shop to keep the sanctity of this thread) and was pretty put off by the attitude of the owner. Ofcourse these things differ from person to person but it would be great if the shop owner could provide more information and be more cordial. He was more interested in challenging me and selling a 2-nd hand bike than telling me something that might make me want to come back.

Hoping for a better experience when I go out this weekend to look for a hybrid.

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Oct 2011 7:47 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by yukun: Please dont give the cold-shoulder treatment to students.... i may only be able to afford deore gruppo/tiagra gruppo bike at best i may only be able to afford a fox shox while sleeping(DREAMING) my biking terminology may be limited, my comments may sound a little imature at times i may not be the one who will be dishing out the credit-card. but please treat me as you would any other well-mannered adult customer.
think about it, theres at least two generations worth of possible customers (myself and my future kids). we may be the easiest to ignore but we are there for a reason. (to recce for not so SHOCKING prices for a father who expects a Met helmet to cost the same as a Prowell) we humans take first-impressions too seriously. All it takes is one visit, a first bad experience from only just one employee...(you get the flow) and sadly im one who judges on first-impressions. Some of you out there are great and you respect us as you would any customer. I thank you for that i may be new, a poor newbie to add, but please do give me the time to learn, the chance to step-up to a higher level in a sport i loved since my kids training wheels days."

There are many douches around, especially some of those ex-nat cyclists turn owner/mechanics with double standards. Disgust me how they "shake their tail" happily in front of those big spenders, maybe trying to squeeze every penny out of them. Yet cannot be bothered with average joe riders, dont even make an attempt to talk to them. But maybe thats how the world is, $ makes the world go round.

Regular Forumer
616 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Dec 2011 5:21 PM    Quote and Reply

You can also go to chinajiaho look

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Canada
Posted on: 16th Mar 2012 12:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Some bike shops have really bad customer service & sales attitude. I really wish I could stick a fork up some of their a**** sometimes. When my friend & I were shopping for my roadie, we visited many bike shops across the island. There was one particular bikeshop, which I will not name in public here, compared a bike which I shortlisted as a possible buy within my budget range like a Korean-made car, while his bikes are Japanese-made car (it's an American brand actually).

That was sufficient to turn us off. We will never go back to that shop to buy anything from that shop. Yes I had a fairly low budget which I strongly adhered to & surely I was looking for something which was worth every single cent of my money. But to insult the bike that I shortlisted was to insult me. As a very technical person, I always do my homework at home after visiting each bikeshops.

There are also some bike shops which really jack up the prices of their stuffs too high. I know some cyclist have bottomless pockets, but not all of us have. So there are some shops which I will always stay clear off no matter how much people say good they are.

Regular Forumer
21 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings