Topic: Vintage Bicycle Group?

Posted on: 14th Oct 2009 3:43 PM    Quote and Reply

u will confirm burn a hole in ur pocket one... for any type of bikes... i would suggest u not going into this vintage restoring as u don seem prepared to spend... fyi, i spend ard 240 restoring my old bike... thats not inclusive of buying the bike... and the amount of time spent is even more

Regular Forumer
65 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 19th Oct 2009 10:03 AM    Quote and Reply

hi sparkystar,
Everyone has an opinion on collecting vintage bikes. Spending $500 on a real vintage is nothing as compared to buying a modern day mass produced MIC bike. It's the quality and stuff that goes in between that makes collecting vintage such alluring. Some bros will not hesitate and blow $3K on a 'Raleigh' roadie, which, most probably not made in England. You can say the material used are high tech stuff. But at the end of the day, it's the collector who will have the final say as to whether it's worth it or not. Spending time is like building a relationship, kinda of bonding to your bike. Priceless. I guess dragonfly16 is trying to familiar himself with this new found hobby. Good start to appreciate things old and sentimental. Unless if you're talking about buy-sell, then sometimes, the amount spent on restoring is not worth the effort put in, especially if it's not apporeciated by the buyer. So, sparkystar, what 'vintage' bike do you have at this moment? Care to share pic?

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart"
Regular Forumer
224 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) flag
Posted on: 19th Oct 2009 11:02 AM    Quote and Reply

Happy Deepavali....

Regular Forumer
3,280 posts

Posted on: 20th Oct 2009 7:06 PM    Quote and Reply

youre rite bro... i totally agree with you but i have seen lots of riders going into the the hobby jus because its trendy. i mean its my word of advice for those uncommitted... i am currently restoring my reconditioned 1992 bridgestone mb5 single speed... (yes again!) done up my dads 1989 dahon, 1992 miyata titanium roadie... (yup, im my dad's mechanic) might upload pics sometime soon... ahahaha... but going vintage is really hard nowadays cos the demand is really high... thats y the $$ factor comes in

Regular Forumer
65 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 28th Oct 2009 3:12 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi m a newbie here .... wonder any vintage bike gathering held among u guys here ?? would luv to see all the vintgae bike come 2gether for chit chat or share some tips etc..  cheers all for keeping all the vintage bicycle  alive ..  

Regular Forumer
20 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Oct 2009 6:21 PM    Quote and Reply

welcome bro...and cheers!

pls share some pics and stories of your vintage bicycles!

gathering and some drinks sounds good....

Embrace the exotic steel in your grasp...feel the energy. Keep on Riding!
Regular Forumer
287 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 31st Oct 2009 9:34 AM    Quote and Reply

can all vintage bike collectors list down the bike/s that they are riding? That'll definitely help to keep everyone informed and all fired up.. "P (pics included lagi best!)
Meeting up is a good idea. Very rare opportunity to see each other's collection. Any location preferred? East side? Hougang area? Sengkang area? Some suggestion? Weekend?Weekdays nights?
To start off, I owned a 3 speed Raleigh Sports, 1950s era. Raleigh Chopper (undergoing restoration). Raleigh Grifter(OPB) and a customized Cruiser (used a market bike).

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart"
Regular Forumer
224 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) flag
Posted on: 31st Oct 2009 10:58 AM    Quote and Reply

My modded marin still counted as vintage? :P

Regular Forumer
322 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 31st Oct 2009 9:59 PM    Quote and Reply

hiii ppl , salute @ bro 12inchtoys on yr collections of vintage bikes . must say all  u guys here hv a beautiful bike ..thumbs up for the vintage . right nw me own a raleigh sport ( nothing compare 2 all yr bike here thou) currently me do meet up wth a fren ( hercules 3speed) at siglap ctr since we stay arnd the east. the kallang kfc is a good plc to start for a meetup since its in central . sori guys me dnt knw hw to post a pic in here .. mayb if any of u guys here who can snap a pic of the gath here and post it in here will be great ..cheers to all .

Regular Forumer
20 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Nov 2009 9:21 AM    Quote and Reply

post some pics, jali. would luv to see your ride. Is your fren in this forum too?if not, why nt invite him/her to join in? BTW, anyone knows of any cycling event lately? Maybe that'll be a good place for a gathering. I was at the Paya Lebar Runway cycling recently and was lucky to met a few vintage bikers.

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart"
Regular Forumer
224 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) flag
Login to see your Forum Rankings