Topic: Rant about bike shop bashing and online information.

Posted on: 3rd May 2009 1:34 PM    Quote and Reply

haf to agree strongly wif singlespeeder.....

bike shops muz put bouncer ah lydiz...

Regular Forumer
598 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd May 2009 11:19 PM    Quote and Reply

Cust always want discount when they buy stuff. They also expect you
to tune,adjust or slove his shifting or noise problems without charge
just because they bought some small items from your shop.

Regular Forumer
274 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd May 2009 11:36 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by cyclecorner:
Cust always want discount when they buy stuff. They also expect you
to tune,adjust or slove his shifting or noise problems without charge
just because they bought some small items from your shop."

Aiyah Pete, what to do???? Some others spoil market but after that complain themselves about other people cutting prices.................... really strange world we live in.

Lor Sor Forumer
902 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 4th May 2009 5:37 PM    Quote and Reply

hehe...ss i agree with you and most of our pals here...the customers should also be aware that bike shops are here to earn a living and profit from its business...lowballing, nuisance buyers, etc are really headaches but thats part of the whole deal i guess...market foces.

pls do not take my starbucks example in a different way....starbucks makes their own coffee and sell their own coffee brand...so they have any right to price their own goods. What I am really saying here is the customer service level of starbucks globally...

i guess bike shops and customers should learn to have mutual respect to one another...coz one will not exist w/out the other.

Embrace the exotic steel in your grasp...feel the energy. Keep on Riding!
Regular Forumer
287 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 4th May 2009 6:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Ok lar i think there are various perspectives to this. Last time when i was a student w little money i always thought that the lbs w lowest prices are the best and was v kniow w shops. (thats becoz no money want best value for parts and if parts spoil den want them to replace) This mindset has however changed after earning my keep. Now that i can afford (im not tt rich) but that few dollars difference i dun care its more of live and let live. U squeeze an lbs dry they cant give u best service. I rather respect their prices that they give and buy it w mutual udnerstanding tt they need to get profits or adopt certain business strategies to maintain the shop. I've learn to appreciate service more than price now. Although i msut agree i still cannot stand shops who 'look down' on me. I do not mind them not really commiting time to my casual questions but i do appreciate if they do their part when i'm about to part with a few thousand dollars...

Saying this i'll just say if u not happy w price just leave dun make so much comments, not happy w service den find somewhere else. Happy with service den remember to make it a 2 way thingy. They give u good service, dun go bargain w them. respect that they treat u as customer and give u a pretty decent price ardy.  

Regular Forumer
274 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 5th May 2009 10:58 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by danjakroyd:

hehe...ss i agree with you and most of our pals here...the customers should also be aware that bike shops are here to earn a living and profit from its business...lowballing, nuisance buyers, etc are really headaches but thats part of the whole deal i guess...market foces.

pls do not take my starbucks example in a different way....starbucks makes their own coffee and sell their own coffee brand...so they have any right to price their own goods. What I am really saying here is the customer service level of starbucks globally...

i guess bike shops and customers should learn to have mutual respect to one another...coz one will not exist w/out the other.

"

No Dan, I didn't take the Starbucks example in any form or way, but since you mention that they make and sell their 'own' coffee, the inverted comas are there becos I do not know how true that statement is, MOST locals won't buy anything made locally....... and I emphasize MOST...... so...............................
Agreed, it takes two hands to clap, so like I have ALWAYS emphasized before, if you want free and/or cheap things, Do It Yourself.
Store owners open to make a profit NOT break even or worse lose money....... if you all still think its that easy to run a small business, especially a bike store, please open one and see how long you can sell things at cost and give free maintenance......................
Profit is subjective so please don't blame store owners who want to make a tidy sum, its THEIR goods and YOUR money, don't like it, don't buy. However, if and when you do, don't whine about paying for it.

Lor Sor Forumer
902 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 10th May 2009 12:44 AM    Quote and Reply

Since this thread is about bike shop bashing, let me bash one today..:P
Today is my 1st time going down to Cycle Corner in Kovan and the experience is BAD. The owner is super unfriendly. Not helpful at all. When I enquire about a bike rack for my low rider, I even mention the wheel size and type of frame ( seems like he doesn't know what is a mini bike...) told me I need to bring down my bike to let him see. Tot this guy is supposed to be very experience. Then he just walk away and mind his own biz. Meanwhile, there is a lady bringing his son to buy a MTB. He was like a NOOB and the mother also sama. I was thinking to myself,"the boss shld atleast stay and offer some advice on the type of bike size, height, etc suitable for the poor chap who's tip-toeing and nearly falling off his bike..."Maybe he is a lousy saleman but I still think he shld atleast offer some expert advice...But I did saw that he has a Ferrari frame inside. So, bros who want to find a cheap 'Ferrari" frame, can approach him.As for me, that's the last time I'm going back.

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart"
Regular Forumer
224 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) flag
Posted on: 12th May 2009 12:39 PM    Quote and Reply

Well it works both ways i suppose. The reason some bikeshop are nasty is mainly due to some customer who are there just to check out the prices, hang around for hours and pretending wanted to buy a bike but ended up after 2 hours of the sales guy serving them they say they wanted to re-consider it. That's pretty bad. Also there are bike shop who are so snobbish that they only want to serve customer who wants to buy.

You see it work both ways... but i realize some shop don't publish price or won't be open up to pricing unless you are sincere buyer. Frankly speaking the price difference between shops are very minimal so it all boils down to service and after sales service. I don't mind paying abit more if the service is good and will not even to pay if the price is lesser but bad service.

Also there are some shop that will make you feel guilty when not buying from them, they say "Oh you pay for this price? i'm selling it cheaper here" that hurts.

For me i usually go into a shop with the intend to buy as i don't window shop in bike shop. i gather the info of my item online, make a few call to get average price. then i consider the reputation of the shop, the stock variety, the nature of bike they deal in before heading down. Ofcourse i will give them a call to make sure they have what i want. Once there i laid my intend clear that i will buy unless you guys screw up.

That's simple.

I hate shop who are so keen in closing the deal and forget the safety aspect of riding and bike fitting. That's a big no no. and i avoid 'Middleman' shop who everything also don't have had to order. That's bullshit. i rather go to the source if it's farther away.

Senior Forumer
386 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 12th May 2009 2:12 PM    Quote and Reply

What is a mini-bike? Unless you can bring yr bike down to the shop, how can the shop know what racks can fit your bike? I don't sell adult mini-bike so I don't know which can fit safely. Does it even have eylets to fit the rack. Kid's bike rack may be too short. People expect bike shop owners to know everything. You want me to show you every rack I have in the shop, sorry I don't work this way. Show me your bike, and I will show you a rack that fits your bike.

Some cust insist on getting bigger bikes for their kids, saying they outgrow very fast. The cust was here b4 if they refuse to listen to my advice, what can I do. Don't jump to conclusions until you know the whole picture.

Regular Forumer
274 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 13th May 2009 9:22 AM    Quote and Reply

dear cyclecorner,

I think everyone has the right to his/her own opinion/views. But to take legal action against me becos of what I really felt that day, I think you're being overly-sensitive and unprofessional. My personal experince at your shop is real and I do not intend to mislead any readers. I have the intention to come and buy a rack and atleast you can offer to show me what you have to offer. I'm not a newbie when comes to bikes and I fix/assemble/service my own bikes. The rack might not fit my minbike but I might consider modifying it for another bike of mine. All I'm asking is show me the goods and let me decide. But no. You just walk away. When I later went to another shop, the owner bothered to show me the all the racks available and the price. I used my own judgement and bought the rack that I wanted, paid up and left a happy man.  Customer is always right, in their own ways. It's up to the sales person to offer that kind of special service to win the customer's trust. When you go and shop for a eg. shirt.Do you look-see and then sometimes decided not to buy becos it doesn't look good on you? I'm in the sales/service line for 20 years. I encountered countless customers who just want to look-see, test fit and later don't buy anything. Do I blame them and decide to take legal action against them for not buying??? Same goes for bikes. You can't expect ppl to come in, test ride and straight away buy. It's a few hundred dollars item. Money don't grow on trees. We need to really consider before buying. Is that too much to ask for?  I do not wish to carry on with the exchange of words/views with you as I think it's pointless and at times meaningless...good day.

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart"
Regular Forumer
224 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) flag
Login to see your Forum Rankings