Topic: A RIDE TO MELACCA - THIS THURSDAY TO SUNDAY

Posted on: 16th Jan 2013 11:03 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by motomuppet: Don't let the fear mongerers put you off. Life is dangerous and no one gets out alive. Malaysia is a big place compared to safe little Singapore...it is the real world. Do some research, prepare for the worst, then go out and have an adventure. Try and keep things in perspective, its a couple of days cycling...you are not walking across the antartic in winter, or climbing everest...yes, a couple days cycling alone certainly has its dangers...be aware of them and mitigate the risks to the best of your ability then go for it. Dont over think it or you will second guess your self and stay home! "

To be honest I find cycling round Singapore on the roads, with our numerous kiasu and impatient drivers  to be more scary than cyling in Johor. I still think cycling round the eastern side of Johor is a much more plesant experience than the busier western side - but I much prefer off the beaten track. To the OP, a real good 4 day route would be Singapore(via changi ferry) - Kota Tinggi, KT - Mersing; Mersing to Kluang or Batu Pahat; BP to JB - There are plenty of Kampung to eat on route. cheap hotels in and around KT and mersing - not so sure about accomodation Kluang or Batu Pahat - never stayed in either but should be fine.
But agree with the others - don't let the naysayers put you off

BTW: I  take the following tools spares with me these trips,
- Multi tool with Chain breaker and allen keys - easy to frig a SS set up if any RD or chain problem
- 1 spare tube and tire levers
- Patch kit (so you can patch any holed tube in the evening and use as spare)
- Prob 1 spare tire just in case
- Pump and or CO2
- Spare lights
- Dry change of clothes (over 4 days would just change underwear - I don't mind stinking)
I use a Camel bak with 1.5litre of water, some gels or emergency food.
Even if you have a GPS, take hardcopy of the route from Google Maps or Bikeroutetoaster
AC - mains to USB charger for phone / GPS / Lights

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 16th Jan 2013 12:25 PM    Quote and Reply

Go man go!

If these two guys a hundred +++ years ago and just up and cycle from England to Peking so can you do that to Melecca!
http://www.togoparts.com/forum/showthread.php?page_id=8&fid=6&tid=68245&loc=active

Ride safe and go enjoy!

Shanlung
山 龍
Mountain Dragon
http://shanlung.com
Regular Forumer
277 posts
Forum Rep: 9

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Jan 2013 2:47 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: 
To be honest I find cycling round Singapore on the roads, with our numerous kiasu and impatient drivers  to be more scary than cyling in Johor."

So do I. I was refering more to the chance of being mugged and/or being taken to a small underground dungeon and fed to the gimp.

And I prefer the east coast as well. Even better on a mtb so you can explore the trails down to the beaches etc.

Regular Forumer
1,363 posts
Forum Rep: 12

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Jan 2013 5:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by motomuppet: Don't let the fear mongerers put you off. Life is dangerous and no one gets out alive. Malaysia is a big place compared to safe little Singapore...it is the real world. Do some research, prepare for the worst, then go out and have an adventure. Try and keep things in perspective, its a couple of days cycling...you are not walking across the antartic in winter, or climbing everest...yes, a couple days cycling alone certainly has its dangers...be aware of them and mitigate the risks to the best of your ability then go for it. Dont over think it or you will second guess your self and stay home! "

To be honest I find cycling round Singapore on the roads, with our numerous kiasu and impatient drivers  to be more scary than cyling in Johor. I still think cycling round the eastern side of Johor is a much more plesant experience than the busier western side - but I much prefer off the beaten track. To the OP, a real good 4 day route would be Singapore(via changi ferry) - Kota Tinggi, KT - Mersing; Mersing to Kluang or Batu Pahat; BP to JB - There are plenty of Kampung to eat on route. cheap hotels in and around KT and mersing - not so sure about accomodation Kluang or Batu Pahat - never stayed in either but should be fine.
But agree with the others - don't let the naysayers put you off

BTW: I  take the following tools spares with me these trips,
- Multi tool with Chain breaker and allen keys - easy to frig a SS set up if any RD or chain problem
- 1 spare tube and tire levers
- Patch kit (so you can patch any holed tube in the evening and use as spare)
- Prob 1 spare tire just in case
- Pump and or CO2
- Spare lights
- Dry change of clothes (over 4 days would just change underwear - I don't mind stinking)
I use a Camel bak with 1.5litre of water, some gels or emergency food.
Even if you have a GPS, take hardcopy of the route from Google Maps or Bikeroutetoaster
AC - mains to USB charger for phone / GPS / Lights"

+ it may be good idea to bring some raisins, if so happen to be caught away from decent food. A small packet/handful can give us as much energy as some energy gel that cost many times more.  A small bottle of saturated salt solution for first aid (others may need your help instead). LED-flash can be useful if you need to search for things dropped along the way, or power outage somewhere.
Even here I have 2 white front lights and 2 red rear blinkers, besides bicycle bell. Always carry isotonic drinks (weather along the roads over there can be very much more dehydrating than what we have here).

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Jan 2013 9:08 AM    Quote and Reply

I like peanut m&m's as energy food. They give a hell of a kick when you are knackered! And they provide some fat and protein besides just carbs. Tasty too.

Regular Forumer
1,363 posts
Forum Rep: 12

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Jan 2013 5:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by edng: 
Dont waste time with a patch kit ...... just hitch a ride with one of the passing lorries to the next town with a bicycle shop

p/s Slow down and Ride around (on the inside)  or  Ride THROUGH the potholes .... unless the road behind you is empty DONT court death by swinging out wide to avoid potholes and puddles .... not worth your life just to stay dry or keeping your bike clean"

Not a good idea if the next town does not have a bike shop. You may end up riding on a lorry all the way to Melacca! hehe

And great advice on NOT swinging out into the road to avoid stones, potholes and puddles. You may simply have to swerve onto the shoulder of the road or ride through the hole/puddle.

And, always try to listen to the traffic behind you. One of the bigger dangers is when a large lorry passes you, its passing can suck you into the wheels. Be prepared to lean your bike away from it.

Give us a trip report!!!  :) 

Regular Forumer
599 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th Jan 2013 11:28 PM    Quote and Reply

Greetings everyone, i'm still in Singapore. sighhhh looks like i lost out on this one after everything. Check out my posts for more information haha http://thebikeismyweapon.tumblr.com/. Anyway i am still keen in doing an epic ride but will need more time for planning and some kakis to go with.

Thankyou every single one of you who gave me valuable advice through PMs, thread responses and meet ups.

Freshie Forumer
6 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Jan 2013 12:06 AM    Quote and Reply

since you are on road bike, I don't think I can keep up with you on the long ride cos I am on mountain bike. but I am goin to KL around Jun or July  or earlier than that. 

looking for some people to ride together too. 

Life is a journey and I am just an another wanderer.
http://www.mybikesnhikes.com
Regular Forumer
525 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Jan 2013 5:32 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by thezacchaeus: Greetings everyone, i'm still in Singapore. sighhhh looks like i lost out on this one after everything. Check out my posts for more information haha http://thebikeismyweapon.tumblr.com/. Anyway i am still keen in doing an epic ride but will need more time for planning and some kakis to go with.

Thankyou every single one of you who gave me valuable advice through PMs, thread responses and meet ups.

"

Relax. I believe if you plan it well, you can do 210 Km round island within Singapore, with its better security. Perhaps we like to join you. Do keep us posted.

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Jan 2013 8:10 AM    Quote and Reply

I have to say that I am a bit disappointed that you did not go on your tour. But, that's a decision that only you can make.

Regular Forumer
599 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings