Topic: Rant about bike shop bashing and online information.

Posted on: 18th Oct 2007 4:19 PM    Quote and Reply

im sorry but the ONLY responsibility that a bike shop has is to provide GOOD service.  that is of course highly subjective but it doesnt take an idiot to distinguish GOOD from plain CRAP.

The number of places i have been to and surveyed her ein singapore since arriving is limited...but there is, as far as I am concerned ABSOLUTELY no excuse whatso ever for the attitude and customer service i have received at a number of places I have visited.

You want to sell me your stuff, then treat me like im going to give u my money.  I dont care if you are the most expensive bike store in the universe not ot mentioned singapore and the cheapest thing u have to sell me costs $5000...a little bit of respect and SELF RESPECTING INITIATIVE goes a long way i find.

Regular Forumer
31 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Dec 2007 3:22 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by pengeja:

im sorry but the ONLY responsibility that a bike shop has is to provide GOOD service.  that is of course highly subjective but it doesnt take an idiot to distinguish GOOD from plain CRAP.

The number of places i have been to and surveyed her ein singapore since arriving is limited...but there is, as far as I am concerned ABSOLUTELY no excuse whatso ever for the attitude and customer service i have received at a number of places I have visited.

You want to sell me your stuff, then treat me like im going to give u my money.  I dont care if you are the most expensive bike store in the universe not ot mentioned singapore and the cheapest thing u have to sell me costs $5000...a little bit of respect and SELF RESPECTING INITIATIVE goes a long way i find.

"

I know where you're coming from, but a transaction, is always a 2 way thing.

I do agree that bike shop owners/staff have to show a good level of service even to casual browsers in the shop, however, if one walks into a shop with nose held high expected to be treated like some premium VIP and just basically being an arse about everything, I wouldn't want him to be my customer too.

There's only one word to describe the...

1. Industry
2. No. of participants of the sport in this country
3. Area to ride in
4. Country (Singapore)

The word is "Small"

What goes around comes around, bike shops with good service will be lauded time and time again and a certain few black sheeps will also be highlighted and those in the know will know.

On the flip side, if you visit enough bike shops and build up real cordial solid relationships with them, you'll learn of similar black sheep customers too.

Lor Sor Forumer
821 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Jan 2008 12:28 PM    Quote and Reply

sometimes the few lbs I build up a relationship tries to bend over so much...I actually need to tell them not to worry about "giving the absolute lowest" price. Yes, a little understanding goes a long way.

And I do agree that walking in with nose held high isnt gonna really get you anywhere.

Neither do ranting off about every little thing you know about every component you pick up in your hand. Yes, even if you do know, it becomes intimidating to shop people who may or may not know better. But likely get pissed off esp on crowded weekends. but on a less busy day walk in and talk shop-- and maybe suggest some "hot components" which they may not be stocking. Now that would be appreciated esp if it does sell like hot cake. But dont talk as if trying to teach people how to run a business.

LBS are just small businesses mostly. The price they quote you today may be different the next and people are thus not happy. Know why? Look at the SKU (inventory) in any one shop, it is literally impossible to remember everything from tiny bolts to high end frames that has been sitting there for 2 years collecting dust.

So the corporate and savvy customer type is quick to blame-- no proper management, why dont they log everything when supplies comes in on a computer and will straight away know cost and have a "fixed" price to sell.  Easy to say butunlike DHL or MNCs most LBS are manned by few staff and such info are mostly within the bosses or immediate family hands. LBS is a hands on business -- its very difficult to find time even to just do data entry whether computerised or manual when customer are walking in and out all the time and rest of the time liasing with suppliers constantly to fulfill demands/ requests of customers....

Going by the explosion and growth in the number of cyclists-- I would say the shortfall of good mechs are reaching a critical level. Good thing I have been tinkering and can sort out most of my own bke problems. Save for building a good set of wheels and jobs that I dont have the tools for (yet)... I think my reg. mechs actually appreciates the fact that I do the maintenance and changing of components myself and bug him less... that much I gathered when we have a chat over their coffee break and hear of those  "want cheap, want fast" customers.

My approach to any bike shop is -- walk in with an open mind... ok ok  I do  have some bias...there are some which I never will patronize but those have proven themselves over the YEARS to be consistently crappy.  walk in in your old t-shirt nad you are just another  passerby. Let a few Gs hang out of your pocket and these owners will literally lick the dust from the floor you just step on.

A good well connected LBS will be able to get you a good number of things so long as the stuff has been brought in to SG and most of the time, it will be cheaper than buying online if its available locally.  Nobody will stock everything in every model size and color --- its just not cost effective and a logistical nightmare.

Ha, the way net savvy customers in Singapore wants the sky in terms of purchase and services , reminds me of these dumb demanding cutomers of mine from developed countries who are asking  for"ethical trade, high quality, lower carbon footprint....... BUT low low price".... for everything they buy. They have no inkling on  the dynamics of supply, costing and production. Stupid apes!

http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.sg/
Regular Forumer
4,863 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Jan 2008 4:54 PM    Quote and Reply

Mmmmm i know we dont bash bike shops, but got praising corner?

I just bought my 2nd hand bike from (censored) bike shop. I explained to the owner its my first time buying, gave my budget etc, ask his/her advice and I felt he/she (fudged for ambiguity) gave me quite a fair price, many suggestions, explain the differences, the advice was accurate, and also I requested to hold the bike over the weekend while I consider more and to arrange my financing.

Later when I confirmed the bike and tested it, the owner noted and reasoned the comments/adjustments which were needed to be made. When i requested some parts changed, I was called the next day to inform me 'unable to do so because of the bar shape' and gave alternatives and solutions. 

Also upon delivary, I had a last minute change in my timing and I called to reschedule. The owner, also the delivary guy, went out of his way to accommodate me.

I find this level of service almost extinct in Singapore. There is so much effort and care not just pre sales, but after sales - which matters the most since they 'eat' your money already. Even though the bike shop is abit out of the way for me, I like the service and confidence, which makes me want to be his/her regular. I be honest and say I dont know if I been kotok, but my feeling is I haven't.

Just a brief breakdown (rounded):

2nd hand: Concord 100 - $200

Bell helmet - $70 

LED Headlight - $30

LED Taillight - $20

Side mirror - $15 

Regular Forumer
330 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Aug 2008 4:55 PM    Quote and Reply

On bike shops....bashing or not...here are my two cents worth...

i hope they should remember that they are businessmen who works under the values of "customer satisfaction" and "going the extra mile to service clients."

i just noticed that only a number of these LBS are really doing such commendable things and they know who they are, (because i recommend my friends to go to them straight and not waste time to other bike shops) and i praise them for doing so and because of them, the cycling community and cycling spirit lives on! Good job and keep up the good work!

some, if not most, owners/LBS/mechanics are very arrogant and narrow-minded...and i pity them for attempting to succeed in this kind of business/industry. They should find other ways/venues to make money, and im sure they will do better.

Attending to one's bike is like going to a hospital/clinic for check-up. It is personal and very important. Each should work on a "common respect" framework, and it's the LBS moral and legal right to treat their customers fair and with a smile of value-added service.

danjakroyd

Embrace the exotic steel in your grasp...feel the energy. Keep on Riding!
Regular Forumer
287 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 14th Mar 2009 2:57 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi

Just my personal experience.

I know we shouldn't be bashing bike shops, but some aren't really worth our time. There was a particular one I went to, whose owner's words flip like prata. Say one thing, the next day another, and I'm not talking about prices.
I didn't know they judge a person by his / her ride. The attitude of the owner was great when I asked about new frames (cos I was upgarding), told him I was a beginner, and was very interested with what he's offering(He even talked about a particular brand, of which he said was very good and reasonable, but the next time I went after a week to ask about that model, he said "it was no good la no one will buy that"). He offered to adjust the settings on my bike till i get a new frame the first time I went, and I was prepare to pay him for that service, until he saw my ride(Helios) the next time I went. He walked off without saying much and ten minutes later I left and told myself never ever go back to that bloody shop again.

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Mar 2009 5:44 PM    Quote and Reply

Actually bikes shops are nice place to hang out and chill out.... I do that all the time...

some bike shop gives good service,

some bike shop gives good discounts,

some bike shops have the latest components on the shelfs for checking out,

some bike shopd can customise your bikes so much that even if you want a car stereo installed on your handle bar with front and rear speakers that you bought from Sungei Road also no problem,

some bike shops organise trips to BMX races in Tuas,

some bike shops got tons of AV DVD for me to borrow home to see until nose bleed,

some bike shop can let you dump your BMX Araya race wheels there for safekeeping the whole week day while you pounce around on your Skyway TUFFwheel II until you go swap them for the race during the weekends,

some bikeshop can base on trust and install a component first and slowly pay them back whenever you have money,

Some bike shop can get the component in advance for you and inform you when the stuff is here so you can go down and install it...

Some bike shop can put aside BMX team rivalry and allow me to hitch a ride with them on their lorry to Tuas for race even though I will be competing against them later in the race...

Aiyah.... I get good vibes most of the time from bike shops... there are those few who fall below our expectations of course... so just avoid them if you can but if you still wanna visit them then don't bitch about it. If you wanna bitch about them then don't visit them.

As Ah Tan from Fumaysin (Tan Bike shop) has been always saying since I was a kid on a Kuwahara KZ-1 until now when I am a father of 2...  "Aiyah happy happy can already... money spend already must happy happy... right or not?!"

We are at bike shop to spend our money and have our pride and joy set up the best we cab afford them to be.... so? Be Happy!

Regular Forumer
3,280 posts

Posted on: 2nd May 2009 1:07 AM    Quote and Reply

bike shop operators (or any other shops) should have good manners and above standard customer service level...that's their moral responsibility.

no wonder people love starbucks even if their coffee is so expensive...and you know why.

Embrace the exotic steel in your grasp...feel the energy. Keep on Riding!
Regular Forumer
287 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd May 2009 2:36 AM    Quote and Reply

If Starbucks charge $8 bucks for coffee, it must be good coffee.

If LBS charge $8 for twn inner tubes, cust complain that they are being
over-charged. They forget to mention that it is special inner tube
with extra long valve for deep V rims.

Regular Forumer
274 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd May 2009 9:15 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by danjakroyd:
bike shop operators (or any other shops) should have good manners and above standard customer service level...that's their moral responsibility.

no wonder people love starbucks even if their coffee is so expensive...and you know why."

Hi Dan, I have to disagree slightly here, its not a MORAL responsibility on only the store owners but the customers as well.
It is strange that people will pay $8 for a Starbucks coffee WITHOUT asking for a discount? WHY??????? People walk into a boutique,same thing again. To really hit the nail on the head and being very blunt......... when most people look for a 'good time' in the red light district, no one dares to bargain as well, right?

So, my gripe here, is why must the small store owner, be it bikes, fishing tackle etc etc, suffer the constant barrage of bargain hunts and cheap charlies to kingdom come????????? looking for cheaper stuff..........

Lor Sor Forumer
902 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings