Topic: Tonino Lamborghini folding bike (18speed)

Posted on: 27th Oct 2015 6:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Collected my bike from GPBike recently. Have a few queries about upgrading some parts of reading through the threads. However, I have no clue what to look out for (eg dimensions / specs) to make sure it can fit onto the bike.

1) If I wanna change the saddle post and the post clamp, what are the dimensions that I should look out for?

2) In terms of performance, I would assume that changing the crank set offers the highest yield? What are the crank sets that can fit onto the bike without modicfications? I'm looking at Shimano.

Appreciate any valuable advice, thanks

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Oct 2015 10:37 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi there,

1. Size of seatpost is 33.9 and most of the seatpost is rather long so you might need to cut it shorter to have a better fit and save some weight.  The default seatpost clamp is good enough; there is no need to change.

2.  It's the wheelset that makes you go further besides your stamina.  Rolling smooth hubs and resistance low tyres are the stuff to look out for.  Not necessary light wheels are good wheels.  Crank and the rest of the groupset follows.  I should say both Shimano and SRAM works fine :)

Cheers!

I ride before:
BeOne Carbon Hardtail
Merida XC
Boardman Team Carbon
Chumba EVO
Dahon Boardwalk modded to 10 speed

I am currently using:
Tonino Lamborgini Concetto 20 speed
Dahon Curve D7 modded to 10 speed
Ridley Fenix SL
Regular Forumer
37 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Oct 2015 10:50 PM    Quote and Reply

If u wanna change the crankset, get 53 teeth and above, cause compact ones for foldies (50 teeth) will affect your candence and u may need to huff and puff a bit more. Best bet are shimano and SRAM. FSA ones (cheaper) need a bit of research as some of the cranks maybe incompatible with foldies

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 27th Oct 2015 11:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi all, many thanks for the inputs.

Noted on the seat post size of 33.9. Shall bear in mind when looking around. The reason I'm looking at changing the stock post clamp is because the locking only works on a sweet spot. I was told that if I am to clamp down the lever down totally, it might result in a less than ideal clamping force. A bit perturbed that the original clamp works in this manner.

For crank set, do I look out for 10spd or 11spd? If I am to purchase as a set that comes with a BB, it will fit nicely on the bike? I read somewhere that as long as components are meant for road bikes, they will fit onto the Lamborghini, true? 

Appreciate the feedbacks, many thanks!

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Oct 2015 8:43 AM    Quote and Reply

I have tried using ControlTech seat clamp and unfortunately, the gripping is not as good as the original one.  One thing to note is that you will likely change the shim to a plastic material for better grip.

Crankset 10 or 11 spd will depends on your future expansion. I am using a 11 spd ultegra crank on a 10 speed configuration.  Works fine.  Your future wheels compatibility must be there.  The BB sizing is same except the model, which differs in outer diameter that lowers the weight slightly - thinner or increasing it if it is thicker.

Majority of road components can be used on a Lambo.  When you get a BB, make sure you get the right thread (English) and ask for a normal BB, not some special stuff e.g. italian thread, compressed etc..

I ride before:
BeOne Carbon Hardtail
Merida XC
Boardman Team Carbon
Chumba EVO
Dahon Boardwalk modded to 10 speed

I am currently using:
Tonino Lamborgini Concetto 20 speed
Dahon Curve D7 modded to 10 speed
Ridley Fenix SL
Regular Forumer
37 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Mar 2016 12:33 AM    Quote and Reply

I wouldnt waste your money on the Tonino Lamborghini, I would get a Brompton or on the Dahon MU Uno which is a really beautiful bike! 

Freshie Forumer
1 posts

United States
Posted on: 1st Mar 2016 5:48 PM    Quote and Reply

The T Lambo is a fair enough bike, I guess.

Anyway it is good for grafting on more expensive (and lighter) road bike parts.

It does seem to have a decent enough design for a side folder. 

Regular Forumer
112 posts
Forum Rep: 11

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Mar 2016 10:50 PM    Quote and Reply

yes, its sleek and not so pricey as compared to other high end ones. But its not suitable for everyone as its more geared for performance kind (if upgraded with the correct parts), and not comfort kind. The folding although not as easy or compact  as Bromies or dahon, still can hold its own

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Jun 2016 11:21 AM    Quote and Reply

hi all - wanted to ask if anybody racked up your tonino lambo and brought it out for touring yet?
i am at a cross road between this foldie and the dahon formula s18 for touring trips ...

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Jun 2016 11:49 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by audreyviviana: hi all - wanted to ask if anybody racked up your tonino lambo and brought it out for touring yet?
i am at a cross road between this foldie and the dahon formula s18 for touring trips ..."

Be sure u got your correct spare tubes for the bike, avoid carbon parts for tours, know basic roadside repairs at least. And proceed for tour.....

Regular Forumer
1,341 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings