Topic: All-day Access to Foldable Bicycles on Public Transport Starts Today!

Posted on: 28th Jul 2016 8:23 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: The MRT is a nightmare at peak times without a bike in my opinion let alone with one. I Don't use it anymore, way too claustrophobic for me.

The only thing worse is Tampines Mall on weekend afternoons / evenings, don't go there either at those times. Ride my bike or go away or stay at home."

Aye, one reason why I goes back to buying a car after going car-less for one year. Save lots of moolah, but the train reliability, the sardine condition, and the extra time spent in commute just ain't worth my health and sanity. That's why looking at biking as the next alternative if I wanna sell my car.

With bike being allowed on trains during peak hour, it have the potential of cutting my cycling distance from 21km (Hougang to Woodlands) to 9km (Hougang to YCK Station -> Admiralty Station to work), which is pretty significant! But if the crowd is still there, then there's no way of getting my bike onto the platform nor train during peak hour

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 28th Jul 2016 8:45 AM    Quote and Reply

I've managed to get a folded kick scooter (with shoulder strap) into MRT at peak hours, but wouldn't even try it with a folded bike.  It won't fit into the train, and would annoy lots of other passengers.

There needs to be a lot more MRT capacity added at peak hour before there will be room for folded bikes.

Regular Forumer
70 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Jul 2016 10:19 AM    Quote and Reply

I wouldn't waste money on a car, unless you have another reason for needing one.

I used to bike commute Bedok to Toa Payoh daily which was 12 to 16km each way depending on which route I took. If it was raining or I just couldn't be bothered I got a cab. Much much cheaper

I averaged 3.92 days per week over the 2 years I was doing it - working back offshore again now or in Batam plus recovering from a key hole ACL / PCL knee op so cycling hasn't been as regular recently

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 19th Aug 2016 8:34 PM    Quote and Reply

If boats can be inflatable, what about any inflatable bicycles?

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Sep 2016 9:27 PM    Quote and Reply

It would be good if they can reserve a space for bike, such as the first or last compartment of train. But FAT hope.

Regular Forumer
245 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Posted on: 13th Sep 2016 8:17 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by pisces134: It would be good if they can reserve a space for bike, such as the first or last compartment of train. But FAT hope."

As much as that sounds really good, the rest of Singapore will hang the government and the cycling community on a stake and set it on fire.

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings