Topic: A RIDE TO MELACCA - THIS THURSDAY TO SUNDAY

Posted on: 15th Jan 2013 7:46 PM    Quote and Reply

hey....what better way to feel alive than a torturous ride. i am a nice guy.....one must alway pad his butt well on long trip....and take note of weather..this route has long stretches without coverage...heat exhastion is real ya?? and riding in super cold rain with super tornado like wind lashing at you ain't funny.

Quote:
"Formerly posted by motomuppet:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Meowfifa: Backside pain....ballz numb.....weather raining, bloody cold.....if no rain, bloody hot."

What a barrel of joy you are!

Have a great ride thezachaeus, and write up a ride report with photos when you get back please!"

Regular Forumer
1,290 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 15th Jan 2013 7:52 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by thezacchaeus:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: I have not cycled the new route 5 but have done the old one up to Sitiawan before. It was narrow, very busy, lots of trucks up as far as Telok Intan; the stretch between Muar and Kapar / Kuala Selangor was the busiest,
I much prefer cycling up the East Coast of malaysia it is much quieter, nicer scenary and plenty of national parks to have a tramp round.
I would recommend you take the ferry to Pengarang and cycle up to Kota Tinggi / Mersing area for a first trip if by yourself. A lot more relaxing, if you take a bike bag you can finish in Kluang and take the train back or you can return to Pengarang and take the ferry. You can cycle back across the JB causeway but not the Tuas one - but it is not pleasant"

If you were to compare the Western route with the Eastern which would be a safer one to undertake? Since the eastern is quiter does that mean it is more of a danger as in times of emergency it might not be as easy to get help? Primary concern right now would be the safety."

I think it is never a good idea to cycle on msia roads especially if you are doing it for the first time.  You can make a wrong turn even if you think the route is straightforward.  There are potholes and roads that are bumpy with ups and downs.  And cyclists are more likely to meet with accidents by being rear ended.  Not forgetting fatigue by having to cycle long distances everyday as it can take its toll on your body.  We think we are fit, but this is not a walk in the park.  Not worth trying seriously unless you are into suffering and torturing your body and have a strong state of mind. 

Regular Forumer
197 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Jan 2013 8:07 PM    Quote and Reply

I would suggest to start with a day trip or 2 day 1 nite together with at least a small group, and not such a long dist trip. Even a short distance one will do, to get a feel of touring. To determined whether a tour is suitable for u. The meleka may be a bit tough for 1st timer, unless u find an old bird cyclist tourer to guide u along. provided u r physically and mentally fit. BTW do u know what stuff to pack and items to bring along? Map reading? Flexible to changes even planning is already swee swee and hicupps occur for example? Thanks.

Regular Forumer
1,342 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 15th Jan 2013 10:25 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by :
Quote:
"Formerly posted by thezacchaeus:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: I have not cycled the new route 5 but have done the old one up to Sitiawan before. It was narrow, very busy, lots of trucks up as far as Telok Intan; the stretch between Muar and Kapar / Kuala Selangor was the busiest,
I much prefer cycling up the East Coast of malaysia it is much quieter, nicer scenary and plenty of national parks to have a tramp round.
I would recommend you take the ferry to Pengarang and cycle up to Kota Tinggi / Mersing area for a first trip if by yourself. A lot more relaxing, if you take a bike bag you can finish in Kluang and take the train back or you can return to Pengarang and take the ferry. You can cycle back across the JB causeway but not the Tuas one - but it is not pleasant"

If you were to compare the Western route with the Eastern which would be a safer one to undertake? Since the eastern is quiter does that mean it is more of a danger as in times of emergency it might not be as easy to get help? Primary concern right now would be the safety."

I think it is never a good idea to cycle on msia roads especially if you are doing it for the first time.  You can make a wrong turn even if you think the route is straightforward.  There are potholes and roads that are bumpy with ups and downs.  And cyclists are more likely to meet with accidents by being rear ended.  Not forgetting fatigue by having to cycle long distances everyday as it can take its toll on your body.  We think we are fit, but this is not a walk in the park.  Not worth trying seriously unless you are into suffering and torturing your body and have a strong state of mind. "

I've did the Kulai loop before and so am aware of the huge protholes. Hmm i wouldn't say i enjoy torturing the body but i like pushing myself to the limit. I'm not set on anything yet so yea Thanks for the advice!

Freshie Forumer
6 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Jan 2013 10:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kona-bros: I would suggest to start with a day trip or 2 day 1 nite together with at least a small group, and not such a long dist trip. Even a short distance one will do, to get a feel of touring. To determined whether a tour is suitable for u. The meleka may be a bit tough for 1st timer, unless u find an old bird cyclist tourer to guide u along. provided u r physically and mentally fit. BTW do u know what stuff to pack and items to bring along? Map reading? Flexible to changes even planning is already swee swee and hicupps occur for example? Thanks."

Yes i might skip Melacca all together and head to the east and up Kota Tinggi via desaru like what
Zappadeedoohdahsuggested. Thanks for the suggestion btw
Zappadeedoohdah.

Researched a little and watched some videos online so i think i'm alright for packing. Don't have any problems reading maps. I won't be bringing a tent and self sutaining things along so if something happens that might be a problem. But it's less than a 100km a day so there should be ample time to get to accomodation.

Freshie Forumer
6 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Jan 2013 2:30 AM    Quote and Reply

Without knowing that you have a thread here, i also have a feeling of going to KL on bicycle but i need to prepare myself for few months to get fit for the journey. Use to ride 34 amost everyday to work but since my office moved to 6km distance, i am lazy, fat n unfit already.

If you don't have anyone to ride for this trip, we can go together in mid of 2013 to KL. Well, the journey is dangerous but if we don't go, we will never over come the fear.

What do you think?

if you happen to go alone or with someone else, keep it update here.

good luck and cheers

M

Life is a journey and I am just an another wanderer.
http://www.mybikesnhikes.com
Regular Forumer
525 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th Jan 2013 4:42 AM    Quote and Reply

I believe such trip(s) depend more of our survival management than help from others at remote places. No one may know we are there in need of help. No one may be there yet, too. If you like long distance, try cycling Tuas South Extension 2 for some exposure (higher likelihood of punctures).

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Jan 2013 9:03 AM    Quote and Reply

Don't let the fear mongerers put you off. Life is dangerous and no one gets out alive. Malaysia is a big place compared to safe little Singapore...it is the real world. Do some research, prepare for the worst, then go out and have an adventure. Try and keep things in perspective, its a couple of days cycling...you are not walking across the antartic in winter, or climbing everest...yes, a couple days cycling alone certainly has its dangers...be aware of them and mitigate the risks to the best of your ability then go for it. Dont over think it or you will second guess your self and stay home! 

Regular Forumer
1,363 posts
Forum Rep: 12

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Jan 2013 9:13 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by motomuppet: Don't let the fear mongerers put you off. Life is dangerous and no one gets out alive. Malaysia is a big place compared to safe little Singapore...it is the real world. Do some research, prepare for the worst, then go out and have an adventure. Try and keep things in perspective, its a couple of days cycling...you are not walking across the antartic in winter, or climbing everest...yes, a couple days cycling alone certainly has its dangers...be aware of them and mitigate the risks to the best of your ability then go for it. Dont over think it or you will second guess your self and stay home! You will learn more about yourself and your limits in a couple days than many do in a lifetime of being safe and staying home.

Or you might die.

If I was you, I would do the east coast. "

Regular Forumer
1,363 posts
Forum Rep: 12

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Jan 2013 9:52 AM    Quote and Reply

go for it and dont let these dreamless pavement-riders hold you back ! Thats what life is abouit

I have done Sg - Air Hitam and Sg - Yong Peng a few times BEFORE the North South Highway was open when the OLD trunk road was even more deadly with only one lane up and one lane down

Malaysian drivers (cars and lorries) are on the whole very good and give way

And these days, the old north-south trunk road is very quiet and light traffic

Ride with a blinker and bright safety flag pole attached if you want to be doubly visible

Dont waste time with a patch kit ...... just hitch a ride with one of the passing lorries to the next town with a bicycle shop

p/s Slow down and Ride around (on the inside)  or  Ride THROUGH the potholes .... unless the road behind you is empty DONT court death by swinging out wide to avoid potholes and puddles .... not worth your life just to stay dry or keeping your bike clean

Regular Forumer
284 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings