Topic: Java Fit vs Vert V8 vs Tern Link D8

Posted on: 5th Jan 2014 11:34 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi Desmond,

Yup, I got the matt black V8 and I'm loving it.

I stay in the east

Regular Forumer
13 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Jan 2014 9:13 PM    Quote and Reply

whahaha....you may be e guy dat helped solved my headache...i bought my vert on e 30th dec..

couldnt decide which colour to choose, when i returned for purchase, e matt black is gone, making it easier for me to settle down... 

Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Jan 2014 12:11 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi! Im looking for a foldie too. Saw the vert v8. Tempted to get it for price and looks wise.. How have ur ride been so far? I had a bad experience with aleoca foldie once. Aint gona happen again. Hoping the v8 will satisfy me. 

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Jan 2014 7:45 AM    Quote and Reply

I tried the Vert V8 at Bendemeer. The experience at their outlet is pleasant. There are 2 bikes available for test rides. These bikes imo, are very good should you use it for errands, commuting and leisure fitness rides. With good care they should last. I wouldn't use them for group competitive rides as the wheelset might not be designed for such purpose. But then again, for the price where else can you find an Al frame with disc at 11kg? I saw the Java Fit8s too, at JetHobby. Theirs is an 8 speed compared to another shop that sells the 16 speed version but same frame. The finishing on the Java from what I can see is better than the Vert. 

Have you seen the Bickerton at MyBikeShop West Coast. For a little more (3 models, $5xx to $7xx, 2013 pricing) you get both good finishing and a pretty decent folding bike you can show off, although it does feel heavier than the Vert. 

I'm planning on getting a folding bike but has yet to decide on who takes my $900. I might just end up spending it on an 8-Core FullHD 6.5, 2Gb RAM, 32Gb ROM on naked Android 4.2, phablet coming in February.

Regular Forumer
37 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Jan 2014 9:13 PM    Quote and Reply

given its price, i must say its a good buy. however, upgrading e bike is limited as any reasonable upgrade would means costing more than e bike itself.

thus far, ive changed my saddle n its definately a good ride to have for leisure fitness and commuting

Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Jan 2014 10:01 AM    Quote and Reply

How much for a vert? am looking for 1 with budget about 300-450

Regular Forumer
197 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) Aleoca
Posted on: 8th Jan 2014 10:55 AM    Quote and Reply

My mind is made up! I will be getting the vert v8 soon :D. Thanks for the advises here!  now i need to sell off my schwinn 2012 mesa mtb -_-.

Vert v8 should cost at $388 or $398. Could not remember. Arnd there. From their website ,I read that they are giving free bottle cage and a pouch. Not sure if they are still doing that.

Cant wait to get my vert v8! 

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Jan 2014 12:20 PM    Quote and Reply

my upgrades for my java might soon cost more than the bike itself.

ah well, might as well get a BF right from the start.

Regular Forumer
112 posts
Forum Rep: 11

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Jan 2014 1:03 PM    Quote and Reply

If you find a foldie handlebar is flimsy, it has to do with the presence of quick release to adjust the stem post height or the fact that the stem post is too long.

I used to have a dahon vitesse P16 with adjustable stem post, ie. you can vary the height of the handlebar to your preference.  You need also to raise up the post to fold the bike as the handlebar folds inwards to the centre between 2 wheels.

After changing out the stem post to a fixed height and fold outwards, the feel is a world of difference.  Handlebar now is rigid with no flex.

If you try brompton M bar, there is still some flex because the height is rather long.

As for speed of a foldie, change out the stock wheelset to Tyrell, Litepro or Sunrise with bald racing tires with no threads.  You do this and any brand of foldie can fly.  Forget about threads on tires, friction and grip on roads are function of the rubber compound and not threads.  Tires with threads are just as slippery when wet. 

Regular Forumer
44 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Jan 2014 3:33 PM    Quote and Reply

please advise where to change this stem post. you can pm me. 

=)

are you the guy that writes the handsonbike.blogspot blog?  

Regular Forumer
112 posts
Forum Rep: 11

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings