Topic: Any recommendations for road bike helmets?

Posted on: 28th Oct 2012 7:45 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by nolight:
I just anyhow get one $40 from neighbourhood shop, just a sport helmet not even designated for road. I just detach the hood for road use. But if you care about looks you can get better one.

High end helmets with good ventilation can be expensive > $200, but for non-pros no way I am gonna pay so much for a helmet. We are not riding Tour De France 20 day straight few hour races, don't need such good cooling.

If you ride with all the high end gear and pretend to be pro and still get overtaken by a entry level road bike, will be very ugly

Most important is to get a fitting helmet size and learn how to wear helmet properly from youtube so that you don't appear like newbie."

You mean like one ex-colleague of mine who use TT bike said: can not even reach 40km/H on the flat road?"

Ya I struggle to reach 40km/h on flat road also. Luckily not riding TT bike .

Imagine riding a TT bike, DuraAce Di2 setup, head tucked down, hands on aero bars, $2000 tubular wheels, $200 helmet all vents, $300 Oakleys, Radioshack Team pro-kit, all pro-looking, pedalling hard. Then a stock Helios F100 zoom past you . Can commit harakiri already.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Oct 2012 11:36 AM    Quote and Reply

Ever heard someone said he did exceeded 40km/H with his small wheels foldable. But the next day the fatigue makes him felt like he was among the handicapped.

Regular Forumer
6,187 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Oct 2012 12:48 PM    Quote and Reply

The funny thing is people buy the expensive helmets with lots of vents and then cover them up to improve aerodynamics...

Your one-stop cycling apparel online shop http://www.facebook.com/jrcyclingapparels
Freshie Forumer
9 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Oct 2012 2:00 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891: Ever heard someone said he did exceeded 40km/H with his small wheels foldable. But the next day the fatigue makes him felt like he was among the handicapped."

Normally when I talk about speed I am referring to something you can sustain for some time on flat road.

Pushing hard to get 40km/h for a few seconds should be no problem. Also downhill obviously no problem. But some people can maintain 40km/h for a long time on flat road that is strong cycling.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts

Singapore
Regular Forumer
56 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Nov 2012 8:16 PM    Quote and Reply

bro, i suggest you buy from a local shop for helmet. Not that it's cheaper, but it pays to get to have one that fits you and you feel safe in. Just my thoughts........

I mean stuff like tyres i prefer online(cheap) but comes to helmet? I prefer having a feel for it........ 

Paved Road + Lush nature = Time to cycle......

Swag if you want to die, helmet if you still want to live......
Regular Forumer
495 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Nov 2012 10:27 PM    Quote and Reply

haha. yar. went to shop n buy instead. lolx. thanks =)

Regular Forumer
56 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Nov 2012 7:36 AM    Quote and Reply

Article I read seems to says, to look for aero helmet if you frequently exceed 30km/H. I am looking for another helmet, so it means budgeting (areo much more expensive).

Regular Forumer
6,187 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Nov 2012 9:56 PM    Quote and Reply

I dunno, aero helmet seems very stuffy and give ppl expectations that you are pro....... Better to look noob and then overtake some act pro one....... Jokes aside, I feel aero helmet abit on the less important side. Not like it's gonna save like alot of time. I rather save the "aero" money and go for other stuff like wheels......

Paved Road + Lush nature = Time to cycle......

Swag if you want to die, helmet if you still want to live......
Regular Forumer
495 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Nov 2012 11:34 PM    Quote and Reply

If one wears this type of helmet and ride at 30+ km/h, will look like a fool. This is for people who rides at consistently > 40km/h.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings