Topic: Rant about bike shop bashing and online information.

Posted on: 24th Jul 2013 12:28 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by hellojeffo: I am writing this, not to rant/bash, but perhaps just to share my experience as a newbie.

SNIP

... sobs"

I learned this same lesson 2 years ago and have never bought anything from then since. Other bike shops like TEF, and Rodalink provide 10x better customer service without the redonkulous prices and condescending attitude.  

Regular Forumer
66 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Jul 2013 7:38 AM    Quote and Reply

I generally had good experience from all the bike shop I went. Some are very friendly until I feel bad not buying anything. Shops that I had good experience in

So friendly until don't buy also pai sei

1) RadStation
2) Pedal Pro

Generally helpful and offer advise

1) BikePlus
2) Bike Stop
3) Gee Hin Chan
4) Hup Leong...........Yes, Hup Leong
5) Bikehaus..............Must be able to accept the honest opinion
6) Treknology
7) CheapJohn
8) Entro

Bike shop that I went to and was left all alone

1) Pro bike
2) Tay Junction
3) T3
4) Rodalink

This is just my personal opinion.

Regular Forumer
194 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Oct 2013 4:34 PM    Quote and Reply

Agree 90% with the Hup Leong part!! The remaining 10% is because auntie sometimes can give pretty kuai lan reply .. if you dunno them :P :P .. once you regular she will be that motherly figure there :)

Personally been frequenting them for more than 10yrs since they are only 2km from home .. so far so good :)

Another bike I like is at Race Course Road (Junction of Tessesohn) called Hiap Hong .. the uncle (whom we always call as "Ah Wee") is a very nice guy .. rode with him on a couple of charity events before also.

Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Afghanistan
Posted on: 19th Feb 2014 6:09 PM    Quote and Reply

I think  that Yishunbike is a great shop.

Regular Forumer
38 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Apr 2014 12:22 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by cqprime: I been riding a old mountain bicycle with modified road tyres for close to 20 years with shimano gears. Finally i decided to upgrade to a proper road bicycle. I went to khcycle at ubi but the young saleman failed to convince me to get a 1500+ Scott road bicycle. I left and hop on a cab and i am glad to meet a cab uncle whom is a bicycle hobbist. He recommended me a shop : Heap Hong & Co Blk 683 Tessensohn Rd #01-113 The cabby drove me over and drop me infront of the shop.

The service at Heap Hong was excellent as the owner could attend to my needs and budget of $1100++ More important is the service attitude and not every new bicycle person like me knows the complex names of components...etc. Frankly i cant appreciate it too. But the owner of Heap Hong was able to meet my customised needs and i collected my new bicycle the next day.

Got a simple wheeler 1.3 Route 18 Speed. I am a happy owner my first road bicycle.

I did go by bike boutique at kaki bukit and the prices of the bikes are 4k above...beyond my budget but the shop sales staff was polite. Maybe next time...
 "

What kind of cycles do Heap Hong sell?  

Regular Forumer
19 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Apr 2014 1:43 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by daniel1990: I think  that Yishunbike is a great shop."

This is a SCAM website!

Lor Sor Forumer
821 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Jun 2014 5:47 PM    Quote and Reply

Just want to share an experience which I had with Bike Stop in Upper Thomson today.

When I call to enquire how much an inner tube costs, the boss told me $9. Before changing my tubes, they showed me the product and again said its $9 each and I went ahead to change 3 inner tubes.

Finally at point of payment, the boss charged me EXTRA $5X3 for "installing" the inner tubes. Never ever seen such a dishonest shop owner before. If he had told me about the hidden costs in the first place, I would be willing to pay since the shop is near my house. But this scheming way of cheating customers makes me feel disgusted about this shop.

This makes one inner tube to cost $14 and this is a total rip off because the boss is cheating on the installation part. I would recommend a shop which charges more but with good workmanship and service. But a shop owner who tries to cheat? Please make your own assessment.

My two cents worth.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Jun 2014 3:18 AM    Quote and Reply

Puzzled: why do you need to call to enquire the price for a tube. Sometimes, patronising a LBS further than neighbour vicinity, can invite VIP treatment. No mention what type of tube you wanted to buy (clincher/tubular). No mention what type of wheelset you had (alu/carbon). You could had set yourself up for VIP treatment. Its advisable to stock spare tubes and tyre levers for tube replacement, if we do not want to repair punctures.
Some shops sell tubes at cheaper price than that. Better to replace tube ourselves than be charged to the replacement at the LBS. Some LBS would not replace tube for non-regular customer, if its carbon wheelset for clincher.
No mention whats unsatisfactory about the workmanship?
If you are among those who prefer to pay more, for the sake of paying more, and assume/imagine paying more=better workmanship. This could be it.
Not obvious how you 'got' cheated?

Regular Forumer
6,196 posts
Forum Rep: 43

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Jun 2014 8:17 AM    Quote and Reply

Got ask if the price include labour? Can't expect them to give free service right? ANyway I thought its standard price. Had a few flats before while riding, had to look for nearby lbs to help me fix a new tube. Cost me ard that much. Best is change it yourself if you can like rbc said.

Regular Forumer
96 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Jun 2014 5:05 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by yum_cha: Just want to share an experience which I had with Bike Stop in Upper Thomson today.

When I call to enquire how much an inner tube costs, the boss told me $9. Before changing my tubes, they showed me the product and again said its $9 each and I went ahead to change 3 inner tubes.

Finally at point of payment, the boss charged me EXTRA $5X3 for "installing" the inner tubes. Never ever seen such a dishonest shop owner before. If he had told me about the hidden costs in the first place, I would be willing to pay since the shop is near my house. But this scheming way of cheating customers makes me feel disgusted about this shop.

This makes one inner tube to cost $14 and this is a total rip off because the boss is cheating on the installation part. I would recommend a shop which charges more but with good workmanship and service. But a shop owner who tries to cheat? Please make your own assessment.

My two cents worth.

"

A tube alone without installation costs $12 at some hardware shops - and having the tubes purchased and installed for $12 is cheaper than what many LBSs charge - so you did ok - no real reason to complain

You could ask if there is a charge for installation, as people do with most purchases that involve labour - anything from buying aircon units, car tyres, curtains, car stereo, etc. etc.  

The Green Corridor Rail Trail

USER GUIDE (updated 27 June 2016) AT THIS LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zm-k4-KgqwoA.k9gUwceJLAk8
Regular Forumer
404 posts
Forum Rep: 14

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings