Topic: Rant about bike shop bashing and online information.

Posted on: 26th Mar 2013 11:10 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by roadterror: Try out Rodalink - East Coast branch. Very helpful and friendly service. Compared to all the other branches, I find them to be best. Have helped with bikes/ parts which I didn't purchase from them. "

Have to agree with roadterror, the staff at the east coast branch are very good. Azhar is one of them. very informative and accomodating. right before the rodalink, i visited Tay cycles at tampines, where a young punk couldnt even be bothered to look up from him hp when i called out to him. Left immediately. Very unfriendly service at the Tay.

and rodalink does not ask for my card anymore, although ive only been there max 6 times. Dont think its double standard, just familiarity. 

Regular Forumer
17 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Apr 2013 4:50 PM    Quote and Reply

I am writing this, not to rant/bash, but perhaps just to share my experience as a newbie.

My road bike was given to me as a gift, and it's from Taiwan, and unavailable locally. But upon riding it, I found that there was a loud grinding sound coming out of the freewheel hub, when coasting. Being the newbie that I am, I didn't know what caused it.

As I had promised a friend to go for a ride the next day, I had to immediately get it fixed, if at all possible. I took it down to Tay Cycles at Bt. Timah, explained the problem. They didn't really take a look at my wheel, never put it on a stand to freewheel it to hear the sound. Immediately they suggested to change the wheelset. Actually, I didn't mind at all, as I had intention to change it anyway, so I asked for a recommendation for some entry level wheelset, and was recommended Fulcrum Racing 7, which was OK in my books. 

Now, the price was $380, non-nego.

Today, I had the opportunity to pass by Rodalink Commonwealth, and saw that the price was $275... So the difference was $105... Whilst I am not angry or unhappy, I can't say that my "heart not pain", after all, with $105 I can buy many other accesories for the bike, or do other things :p 

While I would say it's not a very expensive lesson, I blame myself for not being patient to look for more optionsAnd I am very sure I won't be re-visiting the said store.

It's amazing how prices can vary so much, given the competitive cycling market. Perhaps its because of my noob status? I like to do business with a certain level of trust, and this may be a little disheartening to me.

My $105 dollars' worth  story HAHAHA! And I, am the sole person to be blamed... sobs

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Apr 2013 5:18 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Sunburnt: Chapter 2 Cycles sucks now, those young fellas now running the shop really need to learn the ropes and improve their customer service.

Went to check out some helmets at their small separate shop, which was locked. I gestured to a fella at the main shop, he called out to someone, and then walked away.

The guy who was called upon to open the small shop, gave me the F*** O** attitude the entire time I was inside. He just stood at the half opened door, waiting impatiently for me to finish my 'business'.

I asked for the price for a model, and he just stood there, I had to bring it to him to show him.
And the tone and the way he gave me a reply, was curt.

What crappy attitude!
I miss the 2 senior guys who used to run C2C, now they were impressive.

These new gen guys, cannot make it.

"

Have to agree on that. Where did all the senior guys go? Seemed to have disappeared overnight. 

Regular Forumer
181 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 4th Apr 2013 5:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by karedi:
Have to agree with roadterror, the staff at the east coast branch are very good. Azhar is one of them. very informative and accomodating. right before the rodalink, i visited Tay cycles at tampines, where a young punk couldnt even be bothered to look up from him hp when i called out to him. Left immediately. Very unfriendly service at the Tay.  "

Yup Tay Cycle customer service not very good but got more choices. Rodalink East Coast nothing much.. 

I'm just here to tone my belly
Regular Forumer
741 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 4th Apr 2013 6:00 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by hellojeffo: 
It's amazing how prices can vary so much, given the competitive cycling market. Perhaps its because of my noob status? I like to do business with a certain level of trust, and this may be a little disheartening to me."

Ouch. $105 is quite a big price gap considering Rodalink only offering for $300... Did you check whether the set from Rodalink was new old stock or had some minor cosmetic defects? That would explain the big difference. 

Personally if both Tay Cycle and Rodalink were selling at similar prices, I would get it from Rodalink. If you have their membership, customer service is quite good. 

I'm just here to tone my belly
Regular Forumer
741 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th Jun 2013 10:30 PM    Quote and Reply

In the " Bike Accessories & Wear-ables" thread I wrote about my quest for a helmet.

The quest ended quickly and successfully with a purchase at Pedal Pro LLP (Sin Ming Lane "Midview City" complex). There are three bike shops here, including Bikeplus, Pedal Pro and one shop that sells mostly foldable bikes. So if you are looking to buy something I recommend heading there as there are three shops. Bikeplus is the most "pro" shop there.

I was actually heading for "Bikeplus" but though they had some BEAUTIFUL-looking bikes, they carried only one brand of helmets. They looked great, but not what I was looking for (more roundish, skateboard-ish, with more back of the head coverage.)

Pedal Pro, on-the-other-hand, had a decent selection of helmets - mostly Giro, Bell, Limar, some Sixsixone etc... All-in-all, more than 50 helmets on display though some are just different colours of the same model. Still, one of the widest helmet selection I had seen in a single shop.

(Mind you, I'd lived 16 years abroad and haven't been to that many bike shops in SG.)

The atmosphere at Pedal Pro was very casual and friendly. They basically left me "own time own target" to try however many helmets I wanted to. But when I have a question, they were very friendly in answering. I hate those shops where they follow and watch you closely.

I ended up buying a Giro "Feature", a jersey, chain lubricant and new grips, all-in-all happily spent well over SGD150.

I rode 8km yesterday to a shop belonging to certain famous chain along Upper Thomson Rd and I approached the young male shop assistant if they have the Giro Air Attack. His answer was that they don't and added that that's a "time trial" helmet. In my mind I was thinking if it fits and I like it, I really couldn't care less if it is a helmet meant for knitting. I was prepared to spend the money, though I probably didn't "look" the part, with all my beat up, unprofessional old gear. When I next said I was looking for a BIKE HELMET that is more "rounder, more skateboard-style", the answer was "we don't sell skateboard helmet". duh... excuse my ignorant a.s.s I feel really stupid now.

Compared to Pedal Pro, the atmosphere was a little too "uppity" and I left without buying anything. The trip was not all wasted as I had some delicious Roti Prata at nearby "Prata Shop" before heading back home.

Freshie Forumer
6 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Jun 2013 10:48 PM    Quote and Reply

Actually, whether it is a bike shop or any shop, you should support the local shop that you like. Even if they charge you a little bit more (not overcharging, mind you) since they have to pay rent.

I live in Shanghai and I witnessed how th internet shopping trend had forced so many shops of all sizes, supermarkets etc to close down or move away.

Saving money on your purchase is great but if all the shops close, it can be damn inconvenient. The only supermarket left in town in Shanghai are the super expensive ones.

So I advocate supporting your favourite local shop. If you can afford the extra charge compared to a larger, but unpleasant store, or internet shopping, buy from your favourite store.

For example there's a neighbourhood provision store below my HDB block that sells everything maybe 20cents more. But I support them. If they close, as it had several times before, the nearest store is over 1km away, bad news if you suddenly need to buy several heavy 1.5L bottles of 100plus on a hot day.

In SG I am saddened to see how most book and CD stores have vanished. Don't let that happen to your favourite bike shop.

Freshie Forumer
6 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Jun 2013 12:13 PM    Quote and Reply

Wow a thread from old revived.

Here's my story of experience with a bike shop in the east region where I stay.

When i was 17 i went in and was given the cold shoulder despite being curious about road biking then. Was given the "you're too poor to afford our bikes" treatment.

When i was 21 and earning my own keep I went back as they carried a brand that I was quite interested in. Still the same thing.

When I was 27 I went to enquire about their higher end bike in berms and beer singlet. Still the same thing. So i bought a bike from another shop.

At 31, i went to enquire on a full carbon bike. Again..... still the same thing.

Now i've spent money on another bike from another shop in Buona Vista with excellent service.

This story also has been passed on to my biking group of which not a single one will patronise that shop also.

Moral of the story. If the shop's still there after 14 years of my wooing and eventual boycotting, they don't need me or my group's business to survive cuz there will be someone else helping them through the low service standards anyhow. Peace Out.

Sometimes you're the pigeon, sometimes you're the statue. Live.
Regular Forumer
57 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 23rd Jul 2013 11:36 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Sunburnt: Chapter 2 Cycles sucks now, those young fellas now running the shop really need to learn the ropes and improve their customer service.

Went to check out some helmets at their small separate shop, which was locked. I gestured to a fella at the main shop, he called out to someone, and then walked away.

The guy who was called upon to open the small shop, gave me the F*** O** attitude the entire time I was inside. He just stood at the half opened door, waiting impatiently for me to finish my 'business'.

I asked for the price for a model, and he just stood there, I had to bring it to him to show him.
And the tone and the way he gave me a reply, was curt.

What crappy attitude!
I miss the 2 senior guys who used to run C2C, now they were impressive.

These new gen guys, cannot make it.

"

Hi there, i agree with u. Once i went there n i was so happy to see the boss who was very patient n even help me change my pedals even though i told him i can change it myself at home. He is super good.

Then a few days later my friend went down and help me order a moon xpower light n even gave my number n name.  Yet the next day i pass by n decided to just ask if stock is in and ask one of the guy at the cashier if the stock has arrive and he gave me a bo chap atitude. Not only that, when i told him my friend ordered for me n i gave him my name, he didnt even flip the book and say dont have my name. But when i told him i want to reserve he duly wrote down my name in the book an i saw my name was actually on the previous page. N when i ask him the price, he just said ya ya should be this price. 

I was like speechless, such a big difference in service between the old senior guys an he new ones.

Haiz. So sad.  

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Jul 2013 2:10 PM    Quote and Reply

Customer service generally sucks in SG compared to elsewhere the locals don't understand it and are underpaid and the FT gets slave labour rates so Bo Chap is the norm. Went into DBS treasures in Taka the other day to drop a cheque off and was highly amused to hear the counter lady answer the phone and say "You hold on ah"-- if DBS don't get it what chance do bike shops have.

Regular Forumer
2,624 posts
Forum Rep: 235

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings