Topic: Road Bike or Recumbent Bike

Posted on: 3rd Jun 2011 7:22 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi Everyone,
The good news:
I cycled my current won-2-awards classic steel road bike for more than fours years. The bad news;
Hit a pothole last weekend, and the steerer snapped. Getting replacement 1" steel fork can be a problem if any available for PEUGEOT PROFESSIONNEL.
The issue:
Usage: mainly for keep fit, sigh-seeing, occassional competitions.
Undecided to go for recumbent bike, or stick to road bike
Any suggestions?
Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Jun 2011 7:37 AM    Quote and Reply

what's your steerer tube measurement, from crown to the start of the threads. what headset were you using? just replace the fork with a very nice columbus tubing 1' steerer fork (in bling shiny polished silver colour) and you will be enjoying the 'Steel is Real' ride again.

I <3 Coffee!

Regular Forumer
2,412 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Philippines
Riding:
Posted on: 3rd Jun 2011 12:42 PM    Quote and Reply

Many thanks.
1" diameter X 125mm length, with 50mm of its length threaded (including the broken part=646g)
Where to find Columbus 531 fork? I believe not many LBS have such classic parts (700C wheelset).
Any kind souls can help? 

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Jun 2011 1:11 PM    Quote and Reply

have you spoken to Lynten? he may have some, as long as its columbus, it should be fine, if NOS is  not available, then the used but in good condition ones could be considered. else, have u tried taking it to a person who can weld/repair that fork?

I <3 Coffee!

Regular Forumer
2,412 posts

Philippines
Riding:
Posted on: 3rd Jun 2011 4:18 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Fudge: have you spoken to Lynten? he may have some, as long as its columbus, it should be fine, if NOS is  not available, then the used but in good condition ones could be considered. else, have u tried taking it to a person who can weld/repair that fork?"

Sorry, Can know who is this Lynten from, and how to contact him?
Many thanks.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Jun 2011 4:20 PM    Quote and Reply

Lynten , TR bikes. he's listed in the bikeshops for singapore.

I <3 Coffee!

Regular Forumer
2,412 posts

Philippines
Riding:
Posted on: 4th Jun 2011 7:30 AM    Quote and Reply

Many thanks.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Jun 2011 6:06 PM    Quote and Reply

TR Bikes, Mr Bike Enterprise, Chep Jogn Enterprise, Rodalink, finally at Tan Bike Shop for $85/-
I bought the elusive replacement 1" threaded 784g Taiwan made chromed fork for my road bike, slightly over three hours. Happy cycling again.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th May 2013 4:23 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi Everyone,

Just noticed that recumbent trike are lower priced on Alibaba.com than some road bikes. Anyone bought recumbent trike/bike through Alibab.com? Many thanks.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th May 2013 8:59 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891: Hi Everyone,

Just noticed that recumbent trike are lower priced on Alibaba.com than some road bikes. Anyone bought recumbent trike/bike through Alibab.com? Many thanks."

A friend of mine got his folding trike through a seller on Taobao.

There were quality issues, including design issues.

My friend had to change the rear hub to an internal hub to be able to use the trike properly.

Beware the lower-priced attractions because you may end up spending more. 

Regular Forumer
304 posts
Forum Rep: 5

Riding:
Posted on: 8th May 2013 10:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by mauler:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891: Hi Everyone,

Just noticed that recumbent trike are lower priced on Alibaba.com than some road bikes. Anyone bought recumbent trike/bike through Alibab.com? Many thanks."

A friend of mine got his folding trike through a seller on Taobao.

There were quality issues, including design issues.

My friend had to change the rear hub to an internal hub to be able to use the trike properly.

Beware the lower-priced attractions because you may end up spending more. "

Many thanks. Met and chat with one recumbent trike cyclists last Sunday at Changi. He told me he upgraded his trike, changing the original triple crankset to double, and replaced the cassette, too. Noticed quite some prices among those suppliers/manufactureres on alibaba.com

Another idea being considered is to get a recumbent trike frameset and customise the rest of it. 

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings