Topic: A RIDE TO MELACCA - THIS THURSDAY TO SUNDAY

Posted on: 14th Jan 2013 2:47 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi fellow users of all sorts of bikes, I'll be heading up to Melacca this coming Thursday and be back in Singapore by Sunday in celebration of my 21st birthday. Hence I'm looking for someone to ride this journey with.

Details:
Distance wise would be a 220km there and another 220km back. Total 440km.
Doing it over a span of 4days so it will be very manageable, more of a relaxed paced.
The route we will be taking would be Johor Bahru - Potian - Batu Pahat - Melacca.
Very straight forward route so hardly and chance to get lost, most on the time would be spent on the new road 5. This is part of the route bicycle tourers use when they ride up to KL or Thailand. Here it is http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Singapore-to-Malacca

First day would be from JB to Batu Pahat, a total distance of 130km. Where we would stay at that city for the night in either crystal hotel or fairyland hotel. All the hotels in this trip are budget value ones. Less than 20sgd per night.
Secondly day we continue from Batupahat to Melacca a distance of 90km and we will Abe having accomodation at Fenix hotel very near the famous Jonker street. One of the must visit places in Melacca. Arrival we be on a Friday which happens to be when it's at it's busiest.
Third day we begin our journey back home via the same route along the coast. And will make use of the hotel we stayed at on the first night. 90km for that day.
Finally the final day where we head back home from Batupahat, a distance of 130km.

That is basically the summary of the trip. Any kind of bike would be great as speed wouldn't be the main concern since we will be rolling along at touring speed.

This might be really last minute for you but if you are interested please do contact me at 9827 5854. Looking forward to riding with you.

Cheers,
Ken
Freshie Forumer
6 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Jan 2013 3:35 PM    Quote and Reply

Seeing stuffs like this... gives me more motivation to train up my fitness to join touring

Regular Forumer
31 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Jan 2013 4:02 PM    Quote and Reply

I would love to go; too busy being a slave and paying for helping the Gahmen out by having Singaporean kids!!!!! costs a damn fortune.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 14th Jan 2013 4:59 PM    Quote and Reply

So u gotten your approval chop
Ok ride safe...

http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.sg/
Regular Forumer
4,863 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 14th Jan 2013 9:58 PM    Quote and Reply

Backside pain....ballz numb.....weather raining, bloody cold.....if no rain, bloody hot.

Regular Forumer
1,290 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 15th Jan 2013 5:47 AM    Quote and Reply

Nice, might have to give that a try someday.

Regular Forumer
599 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 15th Jan 2013 6:41 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Meowfifa: Backside pain....ballz numb.....weather raining, bloody cold.....if no rain, bloody hot."

You may want to consider recumbent bike/trike.

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Jan 2013 8:49 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Meowfifa: Backside pain....ballz numb.....weather raining, bloody cold.....if no rain, bloody hot."

What a barrel of joy you are!

Have a great ride thezachaeus, and write up a ride report with photos when you get back please!

Regular Forumer
1,363 posts
Forum Rep: 12

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Jan 2013 3:19 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for all the replies. I've had some advice that cycling alone for the first time isn't really recommended due to the dangers.
What are your thoughts? And can fellow bros share about the dangers of cycling on Malaysia? I'll be using the new hwy5 route. I might have to abandon this ride if I'm unable to find a fellow rider. 

Freshie Forumer
6 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Jan 2013 3:51 PM    Quote and Reply

I have not cycled the new route 5 but have done the old one up to Sitiawan before. It was narrow, very busy, lots of trucks up as far as Telok Intan; the stretch between Muar and Kapar / Kuala Selangor was the busiest,
I much prefer cycling up the East Coast of malaysia it is much quieter, nicer scenary and plenty of national parks to have a tramp round.
I would recommend you take the ferry to Pengarang and cycle up to Kota Tinggi / Mersing area for a first trip if by yourself. A lot more relaxing, if you take a bike bag you can finish in Kluang and take the train back or you can return to Pengarang and take the ferry. You can cycle back across the JB causeway but not the Tuas one - but it is not pleasant

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 15th Jan 2013 7:43 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: I have not cycled the new route 5 but have done the old one up to Sitiawan before. It was narrow, very busy, lots of trucks up as far as Telok Intan; the stretch between Muar and Kapar / Kuala Selangor was the busiest,
I much prefer cycling up the East Coast of malaysia it is much quieter, nicer scenary and plenty of national parks to have a tramp round.
I would recommend you take the ferry to Pengarang and cycle up to Kota Tinggi / Mersing area for a first trip if by yourself. A lot more relaxing, if you take a bike bag you can finish in Kluang and take the train back or you can return to Pengarang and take the ferry. You can cycle back across the JB causeway but not the Tuas one - but it is not pleasant"

If you were to compare the Western route with the Eastern which would be a safer one to undertake? Since the eastern is quiter does that mean it is more of a danger as in times of emergency it might not be as easy to get help? Primary concern right now would be the safety.

Freshie Forumer
6 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings