Topic: Endau Rompin bike packing?

Posted on: 5th Mar 2012 11:53 AM    Quote and Reply

Anyone ridden in Endau Rompin? Kinda looks like a trekking only place, but bet there are some cool trails in there. I am thinking of driving to Selai, then cycling in to the park on the 4 wheel drive tracks. Anyone done it before? Can you free camp? I have a camping hammock and was thinking I could just set up where ever for the night then cycle out the next day, but looks like you have to do the organized trips, which I am not really interested in? Curious to hear what others have got up too in Endau, as the waterfalls look lovely!
Regular Forumer
1,361 posts
Forum Rep: 11

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Mar 2012 1:07 PM    Quote and Reply

endau rompin.

i think you need someone excel in the area to accompany the trip.

in the night it can be dangerous. 

Cannondale Trail 5
Regular Forumer
37 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Apr 2012 3:14 PM    Quote and Reply

^ thanks for the concern..I have camped in the jungle before...just not in Endau. Nothing to worry about but the lions and tigers and bears...oh my.

I have a mate joining me for this trip, we will leave the cars in Selai, and try organize a 4*4 from Kahang to pick us up and drop us at the end of the plantations at the Bekok entrance to the park and we will bike through the trails (lots of hike a bike I imagine) back to Selai. My mate has hiked and camped in these trails before, so reckons they are mostly rideable...anyone else done this or similar?

Plan to go end April/early May so will let you all know how it works out.

Regular Forumer
1,361 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Apr 2012 3:54 PM    Quote and Reply

Been there long ago, went with some ppl from Malayan Nature Society. They have a permanant campsite in there up the river, accessible only by motor boat. They went in with a Toyota Land Cruiser. We cycled in and some of the trails deep mud. One of the guys had to pull off his mudguard and throw it away, just too much mud getting clogged there.

If you have never been there before, bring some ribbon to tie on the tree, to mark the trail. It is quite easy to get lost with many twist and turns and nearly every trail looks the same. Unlike sg, if you get lost, head towards any direction, you will get to a main road. Over there, get lost may go round and round for days. They don't have signboards, and maybe a good idea to carry a compass.

There will be some parts where you have to carry over makeshift huge log bridges across the river, Like any jungle, there are wild animals in there, just have to be careful.

Regular Forumer
197 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Apr 2012 5:54 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by sLapshock: endau rompin.

in the night it can be dangerous. "

Was told many years back, even seladang came out in the night to check around

Regular Forumer
6,169 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Apr 2012 9:32 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Pi66y: Been there long ago, went with some ppl from Malayan Nature Society. They have a permanant campsite in there up the river, accessible only by motor boat. They went in with a Toyota Land Cruiser. We cycled in and some of the trails deep mud. One of the guys had to pull off his mudguard and throw it away, just too much mud getting clogged there.

If you have never been there before, bring some ribbon to tie on the tree, to mark the trail. It is quite easy to get lost with many twist and turns and nearly every trail looks the same. Unlike sg, if you get lost, head towards any direction, you will get to a main road. Over there, get lost may go round and round for days. They don't have signboards, and maybe a good idea to carry a compass.

There will be some parts where you have to carry over makeshift huge log bridges across the river, Like any jungle, there are wild animals in there, just have to be careful."

Cool, glad someone has been in there with a bike before! We will have at least two GPS's with us and maps and compass' as well of course. We hope to go after the monsoon, so hopefully won't be too muddy, but we are prepared to carry our bikes if needed.

Regular Forumer
1,361 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Apr 2012 9:34 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by sLapshock: endau rompin.

in the night it can be dangerous. "

Was told many years back, even seladang came out in the night to check around"

To see a Seladang would be awesome!

Regular Forumer
1,361 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Apr 2012 9:53 AM    Quote and Reply

Watch out for wild boars, not been to endau rompin, but we did some MTBing round Rantepao in South Sulawesi, those things are vicious and seem to dislike bikers more than your average SG Lexus driver. A tazer might be a good move....haha

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 3rd Apr 2012 10:36 AM    Quote and Reply

^ yeah tell me about it...been charged a few times by them...usually they are just startled by us cause we move fairly quickly and relatively quietly, and they get spooked and dash from one side of the trail to the other...pretty scary cause they make a hell of a racket when the suddenly bolt out of the bushes!

Desaru is good for wild pigs...saw a big family there one time, maybe 6-7piglets with mum and dad, me and a mate spotted them up the trail and kinda snuck up on them. We got about 10m behind them and just hung out in the bushes watching them for a few minutes before they caught wind of us...very cool, and piglets are really cute. Tasty too!

Regular Forumer
1,361 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Sep 2012 1:31 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi there! 
How was your trip? Did it happen?

Stumbled upon this thread when I googled bikepacking Singapore...

Im looking for buddies to bikepack/camp!  

Regular Forumer
32 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 26th Sep 2012 8:11 AM    Quote and Reply

i m keen in such trail.. do update me.. tks tks

Freshie Forumer
9 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings