Topic: A safer way to plan bike paths

Posted on: 31st Aug 2017 9:13 AM    Quote and Reply

Last weekend while walking in Pasir Ris I came upon this bike path arrangement on Pasir Ris Drive 6;

Nearby on Pasir Ris Drive 3 there is another bike path that abuts the pedestrian entrance to a couple of shops in Watercolours EC. I've wondered if anyone has been hit by a passing bicycle when exiting through the gate there, as it looks like an accident waiting to happen. It would be much safer if pedestrians could step out directly onto the pedestrian path.

Having lived 19 years in Europe I saw that bike lanes there were always running alongside the roads, sort of like a buffer between pedestrians and motorised traffic. 

As the photo above shows, this is not always the case in Singapore.

In a letter to the Straits Times I've attempted to draw attention to the safety drawbacks and proposed a simple solution. There is a better way, as long as there is a will to take action.

The Green Corridor Rail Trail

USER GUIDE (updated 27 June 2016) AT THIS LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zm-k4-KgqwoA.k9gUwceJLAk8
Regular Forumer
404 posts
Forum Rep: 14

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 31st Aug 2017 9:44 AM    Quote and Reply

Looks good, got separate path for both. no need to quarrel anymore.

Regular Forumer
245 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Aug 2017 9:46 AM    Quote and Reply

But most pedestrain like to walk on the cycling path as it is bigger, just like what always happened in Changi beach area. They allowed their children to run around cycling path and cyclist better keep their mouth shut because they wil scold you if you ask them to walk on the pedestrian path.

Regular Forumer
245 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Sep 2017 12:23 PM    Quote and Reply

This design is a waste of money IMO. 
Because the segregation is not there/clear, people will always choose what they think is in their best interest.
In which case is the flatter, smoother, no iron grill, broader bike path.  :D

Yishun area where I live has the same type of bike path, but it ends up to be used by folks who like to walk together holding hands or as a family, etc.  :D

If the bike path was beside the road, that psychological fear of it being part of the road will automatically deter predestrains. 
Futhermore, less cyclist vs predestrians interractions and conflicts. 

Regular Forumer
91 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Sep 2017 12:23 PM    Quote and Reply

Removed dbl post

Regular Forumer
91 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Sep 2017 2:45 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by theexalted: This design is a waste of money IMO. 
Because the segregation is not there/clear, people will always choose what they think is in their best interest.

Yishun area where I live has the same type of bike path, but it ends up to be used by folks who like to walk together holding hands or as a family, etc.  :D

If the bike path was beside the road, that psychological fear of it being part of the road will automatically deter predestrains. 

"

Then u will have another vehicles vs cyclist conflict OR a cyclist complaining that the path is too narrow, cannot overtake

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Sep 2017 1:07 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by albatross:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by theexalted: This design is a waste of money IMO. 

"

Then u will have another vehicles vs cyclist conflict OR a cyclist complaining that the path is too narrow, cannot overtake"

At least we'd only anger one segment of the stake holders, which is the status quo all the while  :D

Regular Forumer
91 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Sep 2017 8:56 PM    Quote and Reply

The above design is generic and common to most estates Island wide! Yes i've seen peeps with prams even use the cycling path and what can we do? Who ever deisgned these paths : i wonder if they are even cyclists themselves or at least consulted cyclists in the 1st place?? I've been to Changi Beach on it's cycling path and one kid suddenly dashed and almost ran into my way! Thankfully i wasn't on my cheapo market bike with cheapo V-brakes else kid would have been hit due to longer braking distance! It's due to things like these that i prefer to cycle on the road or PCN if it's not crowded!

Regular Forumer
188 posts
Forum Rep: 32

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Oct 2017 5:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Pedestrains should be more cautious in the path they would walk. Being hitted by a bicycle causes death.

Freshie Forumer
9 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Nov 2017 12:43 PM    Quote and Reply

One of the biggest, most challenging, and most fun parts about bicycle touring is planning a safe and enjoyable route. By being aware in terms of your safety in cycling it is best to be flexible and be prepared for the unexpected, and Enjoy the Ride! where ever it takes you.

Freshie Forumer
9 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 31st May 2019 10:08 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ttimlen: Last weekend while walking in Pasir Ris I came upon this bike path arrangement on Pasir Ris Drive 6;

Nearby on Pasir Ris Drive 3 there is another bike path that abuts the pedestrian entrance to a couple of shops in Watercolours EC. I've wondered if anyone has been hit by a passing bicycle when exiting through the gate there, as it looks like an accident waiting to happen. It would be much safer if pedestrians could step out directly onto the pedestrian path.

Having lived 19 years in Europe I saw that bike lanes there were always running alongside the roads, sort of like a buffer between pedestrians and motorised traffic. 

As the photo above shows, this is not always the case in Singapore.

In a letter to the Straits Times I've attempted to draw attention to the safety drawbacks and proposed a simple solution. There is a better way, as long as there is a will to take action.

"
Most of the people involved in the 'design' do not cycle, or walk. So they can have no idea that they are the cause for many accidents. We need to write in now and then to keep them posted. Hopefully, they will do something positive about it.

Regular Forumer
6,193 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings