Topic: Any recommendations for road bike helmets?

Posted on: 7th Mar 2012 11:54 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi, i'm desperately looking for a road bike helmet, planning to go hunt for one tomorrow. So far am looking at Giro or Limar. Anyone knows which shop sell road helmet? though of going to Treknology at Tanglin tomorrow to look for Giro, not very sure whether they carry Giro, juz though of trying my luck, anyone here knows?
Anyone got any other brand recommendation do let me know and let me know which shop i can get them at. thanks alot..
Happy cycling.. 
Freshie Forumer
5 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Mar 2012 12:33 AM    Quote and Reply

You may like to take a look at this site before buying any helmets.
http://www.helmets.org/index.htm.

Have a safe & enjoyable ride!

Regular Forumer
720 posts
Forum Rep: 35

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Mar 2012 1:22 AM    Quote and Reply

the link is not working.. lol
anyone here got good shops to recommend me for hunting later?

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Mar 2012 12:29 AM    Quote and Reply

Try this - http://www.helmets.org

Guide to Bicycle Helmets - http://www.helmets.org/guide.htm

Have a safe & enjoyable ride!

Regular Forumer
720 posts
Forum Rep: 35

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 27th Oct 2012 6:22 PM    Quote and Reply

any recommended helmets and shops that I can get them?

totally clueless on helmets...  =( 

Regular Forumer
56 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Oct 2012 6:45 PM    Quote and Reply

I just anyhow get one $40 from neighbourhood shop, just a sport helmet not even designated for road. I just detach the hood for road use. But if you care about looks you can get better one.

High end helmets with good ventilation can be expensive > $200, but for non-pros no way I am gonna pay so much for a helmet. We are not riding Tour De France 20 day straight few hour races, don't need such good cooling.

If you ride with all the high end gear and pretend to be pro and still get overtaken by a entry level road bike, will be very ugly

Most important is to get a fitting helmet size and learn how to wear helmet properly from youtube so that you don't appear like newbie.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Oct 2012 9:27 PM    Quote and Reply

hahahah yar. i look like noob w such a relatively gd roadie, and kanna overtook by old uncle riding those rusty bicycle. cos i on pavement, he on road. he relax relax zoom past me. sad. haha. 

nt getting an exp one def, else i wld hv gotten at rodalink. just that i dun even know gt what lbs that i can get relatively cheap n gd helmet...  

Regular Forumer
56 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Oct 2012 10:49 PM    Quote and Reply

There are those really cheap ones that cannot adjust other than straps. Better to at least get one that you can fine-tune by turning a knob to tighten and loosen.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Oct 2012 5:03 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by nolight:
I just anyhow get one $40 from neighbourhood shop, just a sport helmet not even designated for road. I just detach the hood for road use. But if you care about looks you can get better one.

High end helmets with good ventilation can be expensive > $200, but for non-pros no way I am gonna pay so much for a helmet. We are not riding Tour De France 20 day straight few hour races, don't need such good cooling.

If you ride with all the high end gear and pretend to be pro and still get overtaken by a entry level road bike, will be very ugly

Most important is to get a fitting helmet size and learn how to wear helmet properly from youtube so that you don't appear like newbie."

You mean like one ex-colleague of mine who use TT bike said: can not even reach 40km/H on the flat road?

Regular Forumer
6,193 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Oct 2012 7:20 AM    Quote and Reply

although im also a cyclist, i still think that a bike helmet is not going to be as safe as a motorbike helmet. if u can wear bike helmet and cycle on roads then our motocyclists might as well used our lighter helmets!

i think it will protect our head if we fall from bike but wont be tough enough if a motor vehicle going to run over ur head. 

Regular Forumer
72 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Oct 2012 7:32 AM    Quote and Reply

No motorbike is faster so need more protection. The more dangerous the profession the better protection is needed. That's why stunt biker need to wear full face helmet, more protection than normal bike helmet.

Bicycles don't zoom down the road at 100km/h so bike helmets are not meant to protect against being run over by cars but lower impact collisions and falls due to people opening car doors, crash over bumps, during cornering etc.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings