Topic: A safer way to plan bike paths

Posted on: 31st May 2019 10:10 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by pisces134: But most pedestrain like to walk on the cycling path as it is bigger, just like what always happened in Changi beach area. They allowed their children to run around cycling path and cyclist better keep their mouth shut because they wil scold you if you ask them to walk on the pedestrian path.

"
The cycling track usually constructed with better workmanship than the footpath.

Regular Forumer
6,177 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 31st May 2019 10:12 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by theexalted: This design is a waste of money IMO. 
Because the segregation is not there/clear, people will always choose what they think is in their best interest.
In which case is the flatter, smoother, no iron grill, broader bike path.  :D

Yishun area where I live has the same type of bike path, but it ends up to be used by folks who like to walk together holding hands or as a family, etc.  :D

If the bike path was beside the road, that psychological fear of it being part of the road will automatically deter predestrains. 
Futhermore, less cyclist vs predestrians interractions and conflicts. 

"
The worse part is, some people decided to conduct their discussion, standing and blocking on the PCN. Others park their bicycles across the entire PCN width.

Regular Forumer
6,177 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 31st May 2019 10:18 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by pinelights: The above design is generic and common to most estates Island wide! Yes i've seen peeps with prams even use the cycling path and what can we do? Who ever deisgned these paths : i wonder if they are even cyclists themselves or at least consulted cyclists in the 1st place?? I've been to Changi Beach on it's cycling path and one kid suddenly dashed and almost ran into my way! Thankfully i wasn't on my cheapo market bike with cheapo V-brakes else kid would have been hit due to longer braking distance! It's due to things like these that i prefer to cycle on the road or PCN if it's not crowded!"
You were lucky. I saw a kid learning to cycle. I dismounted to give him more space along the PCN. However, he head-on his bicycle into my bicycle so hard that my front tyre got punctured.

Regular Forumer
6,177 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 31st May 2019 10:23 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by audrey27: One of the biggest, most challenging, and most fun parts about bicycle touring is planning a safe and enjoyable route. By being aware in terms of your safety in cycling it is best to be flexible and be prepared for the unexpected, and Enjoy the Ride! where ever it takes you."
I used to volunteer as Safety Cyclist for the NTU Bike Rally (longer route). This year, I tried to do the shorter route for a change and exposure. Regret the idea as soon as we get started for the dry run. Most of the volunteer Safety Cyclists are there because they are in need of help for road safety. I would not want to volunteer that shorter route again, for safety reason.

Regular Forumer
6,177 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 31st May 2019 10:26 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by audrey27: Pedestrains should be more cautious in the path they would walk. Being hitted by a bicycle causes death."
Most pedestrian really depend on others for their own safety, due the pedestrian's negligence or otherwise. Bicycle usually much faster the pedestrian. So just dismount and walk, if the place is crowded.

Regular Forumer
6,177 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings