Topic: All-day Access to Foldable Bicycles on Public Transport Starts Today!

Posted on: 20th Jul 2016 3:25 PM    Quote and Reply

This is an open discussion thread for the news All-day Access to Foldable Bicycles on Public Transport Starts Today!

Trial scheme will last for six months.

Regular Forumer
25 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Jul 2016 4:35 PM    Quote and Reply

Yes!!!! Finally this plan is being on trial. Looking forward to cycle more while using Public Transport

Go Ride ur life Out
Regular Forumer
44 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 21st Jul 2016 9:46 AM    Quote and Reply

Way to go Singapore. Hate seeing Singapore end up like Bangkok and Jakarta, waste of driving there

Freshie Forumer
1 posts

Posted on: 24th Jul 2016 1:14 PM    Quote and Reply

Survival strategy: One method to fill up the partially empty feeder buses off-peak. Prefer less buses, for more cycling road space.

Regular Forumer
6,184 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Jul 2016 10:24 PM    Quote and Reply

Buses are pretty good in terms of people carried per square meter - they are about 12m Long by 2.5m wide and carry about 90 people that works out at 1 person per 0.4 sqm. An average 2 litre sedan is about 4.5m Long by about 2.2m wide and as most only ever have 1 person in that works out at 1 person per 9sqm. the modern hybrid buses only have 4.5Liter engines so the overall energy efficiency is way better than 90 cars by a factor of at least 100 They also don't need the ridiculous amount of space wasted on parking for about 22hrs per day
more buses and less cars are a good thing I reckon

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 26th Jul 2016 10:35 PM    Quote and Reply

Best is less car so lane 2/3 can be use by cyclist and lane 1 for public transport

Go Ride ur life Out
Regular Forumer
44 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 27th Jul 2016 5:55 AM    Quote and Reply

You will have immerse difficulty bringing your bike to the MRT during peak hours.

Regular Forumer
34 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Jul 2016 8:21 AM    Quote and Reply

So far anyone tried to bring their foldie onto the train during peak hour in the morning?

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 27th Jul 2016 9:49 AM    Quote and Reply

There is a guy in my condo who has been taking his Brompton from Bedok to Raffles Place every weekday at peak hours for years. No one has ever said a word. He has a soft carrying bag for it just looks like a slightly bigger than normal working bag

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Posted on: 27th Jul 2016 1:15 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: There is a guy in my condo who has been taking his Brompton from Bedok to Raffles Place every weekday at peak hours for years. No one has ever said a word. He has a soft carrying bag for it just looks like a slightly bigger than normal working bag"

Ah, but that's because he fit his bike into a bag, and Brompton can fold quite small.

I'm referring to other foldies (Tern/Dahon/Tyrell etc) users if anyone tried it after the implementation of the new ruling, without the use of a bag. I've not taken train with my foldie before, so I don't know what is the reception like, especially during peak hour.

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 27th Jul 2016 4:25 PM    Quote and Reply

The MRT is a nightmare at peak times without a bike in my opinion let alone with one. I Don't use it anymore, way too claustrophobic for me.

The only thing worse is Tampines Mall on weekend afternoons / evenings, don't go there either at those times. Ride my bike or go away or stay at home.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Login to see your Forum Rankings