Topic: bike cleaning

Posted on: 25th Apr 2013 9:56 AM    Quote and Reply

How do you clean your bike... and what are the things to get?
Regular Forumer
15 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 25th Apr 2013 10:13 AM    Quote and Reply

Kona-bros usual cleaning stuff - WD-40/GT85, full of rags, old newspapers, small brushes, dish washing detergent. Note: wipe it down than wash it down more.  old bird way of cleaning and maintaining the bicycle.

Regular Forumer
1,341 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 25th Apr 2013 10:14 AM    Quote and Reply

My kids bought me a Muc Off cleaning kit with brushes and some detergent as a present, I think they got it from Cannasia or T3. But all you need is a soft bristle brush, a cassette brush and some detergent, prefereably salt and perfume free (can get from most petrol kiosks).
I wipe down the outside of the chain with isopropyl alcohol after every ride
every one or two week on my roadbike if it has been used a lot I will brush off the dried crud and then wash it with the detergent, and if needed clean out any crud from the cassette / chainrings and clean them off with isopropyl alcohol if they are looking a bit black. Then relube the chain.
My MTB gets done after every ride because it is usually caked in mud and the missus nags me if I don't do it

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 25th Apr 2013 10:16 AM    Quote and Reply

All you need is a degreaser (GT85) - Wet Lube and Dry Lube both from Finish Line .

There are many video demos on youtube which is very informative . Is is not so complicated .

Regular Forumer
16 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 25th Apr 2013 11:29 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: My kids bought me a Muc Off cleaning kit with brushes and some detergent as a present, I think they got it from Cannasia or T3."

Your kids are so sweet!

Regular Forumer
200 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 25th Apr 2013 11:31 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by MadArmour:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: My kids bought me a Muc Off cleaning kit with brushes and some detergent as a present, I think they got it from Cannasia or T3."

Your kids are so sweet! "

Lol - I think their intent was so I could wash their bikes for them too; I had been pestering them to clean them - lazy little bastards.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Posted on: 25th Apr 2013 11:42 AM    Quote and Reply

lol. good idea.

Regular Forumer
1,341 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 25th Apr 2013 1:38 PM    Quote and Reply

Hmmm so it seems like I would need the degreaser and a grease oil... Plus some specific brushes for all the different parts... And also the chain cleaner... 

Do you guys happen to know where can I get all at a cheaper rate? I'm kind of lazy to travel place to place to get them

Regular Forumer
15 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 25th Apr 2013 1:53 PM    Quote and Reply

Degreaser is to harsh for the frame - just use a detergent - you can use washing up liquid but they do contain salt and some of them are slightly acidic I get a cheap ph neautral car one from the local Shell garage for about $7 a litre I think or i'll get another bottle of Muc off from CRC or wiggle if I'm ordering something else. The bike ones seem ludicrously expensive in the local shops - $20 per litre and CRC sell for $8
I use a dry lube and wipe the chain down after each ride with Isopropyl alcohol which I get $20 for 5Litres from a mate who is a doctor so the chain doesn't get hugely black. I don't like those chain cleaning machines they spray shit every where - if the chain is really filtyh I'll take it off and clean it.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=455

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Posted on: 26th Apr 2013 1:17 PM    Quote and Reply

In general you need 2 things + whichever size brushes and rags that work:

Degreaser - to clean dirt from metal parts especially chain
Chain lubricant - to make the chain run smoothly

Typically degreaser also removes lubricant so the order is degrease, clean with rag, followed by lubricate, remove excess lubricant. For degreaser just get any cheap stuff that can clean metal for lubricant you may want to get more bike-specific stuff like Finish Line dry lube (or wet lube for muddy conditions).

I don't ride my bike very frequently and don't ride in dirty conditions, so I don't clean that much. Most of the time just wipe frame with damp cloth is enough and often don't even need to do that. If I need to clean chain, I use WD40 for degreaser (not that cheap but I don't clean often so it's ok) and some generic lubricant from hardware store.

If you are more meticulous (I am not), other cleaning includes:
- lubricant/grease for all moving parts including brakes, cables, derailleurs
- some bike wash for general cleaning of the bike (frame etc) that does not attack grease (therefore not degreaser)
- special tools like chain cleaning tool or grunge brush for better cleaning of chain
- removing chain or cassette or bottom bracket to clean

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 26th Dec 2017 11:47 AM    Quote and Reply

If there is no mud stuck in my bike, I will simply wipe out the dirt with cloth. I think the most important thing to keep my bike clean is to cleanse it at regular intervals. Sometime silicone sponges which have soft bristles can be helpful. 

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings