Topic: Stolen Bikes - Let the community help you look out.

Posted on: 16th Aug 2011 4:19 PM    Quote and Reply

Sinagpore police don't seem to be the most proactive bunch sometimes. The Cops in the UK used to conduct plain clothes sting operations if there was a spate of bike thefts in an area and you could take your bike in and they would put indelible UV registration number on the frame + they used to patrol thieves markets like Sungai road to look for stolen property. Not sure what its like now though prob same as Singapore
UK Cops not so good at controlling riots these days though - they used to get plenty of practice with the football thugs

Regular Forumer
314 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th Aug 2011 4:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by NinerBiker: Sinagpore police don't seem to be the most proactive bunch sometimes. The Cops in the UK used to conduct plain clothes sting operations if there was a spate of bike thefts in an area and you could take your bike in and they would put indelible UV registration number on the frame + they used to patrol thieves markets like Sungai road to look for stolen property. Not sure what its like now though prob same as Singapore
UK Cops not so good at controlling riots these days though - they used to get plenty of practice with the football thugs"

The day will come if one day bike belonging to PM gets stolen.  Not likely, as nobody can get near where he stays and security is tight.  Police will hunt down the thief for sure if some whitehorse bike gets stolen.  Not so if any tom, dick and harry out there reports loss of bike.

Regular Forumer
209 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Aug 2011 8:38 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi Spearspark,

i have similar experience with you too.
I made 2 police reports one at Boon lay and after that made anthr online report.

Print out a copy of A4 size colored and handed to the IO investigating officer (which costs me S$0.30).

And i went thru the CCTV footages with her. at police HQ in Jurong

She mentioned if i ever see my stolen bike parked somewhere,
I can either call the locksmith to unlock it or cut myself.

I asked her how i can help them to help me find my bike,
she told me you cyclists owner (I myself) know better than them (police)
to find the stolen bike.
If I can spot stolen bike , then alert them (call 999 if she is not around).

I guess in the end the police report I made is jus to see the cctv camera
and
also "obtain  the licence to cut the lock of the stolen bike "  IF I ever find it.

No news and sound from them yet.

Sigh...* I missed my bike!

See the whole story blog on my stolen bike: 
http://www.advertisings.biz/2011/06/red-urata-bicycle-stolen-at-jurong.html

Yours,
Alan 
http://www.alanchow76.blogspot.com  

Regular Forumer
18 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Aug 2011 10:34 AM    Quote and Reply

It is only a Urata bike that was stolen from you.  Write off the few hundred of dollars only.

Consider those people who lost bike costing more than 10 times of yours.

Forget about seeing your Urata again, your pain is many time less than the many other victims out there who lost more expensive bikes.

We have to accept than bikes can still be gone despite parking in high human traffic areas, having CCTV around or using the most expensive locks.   The only way not to lose your bike is to bring it along everywhere you go, never leave it out of sight in public areas.

Regular Forumer
209 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Aug 2011 8:16 AM    Quote and Reply

The problem here is not the value of the bike, it about the the way the police handle bike thief problem. It seem like loosing your bike it your own problem. It not their duty to handle it. My aunt who lost 2 bikes in a year went to the police for only once. When i asked why she did not report the second one, she said that Singapore police only handle big problems, don't waste time reporting.
Regarding my case, the IO called me and said because PE is around the corner, so asked me for more time to investigate. so still waiting for update.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Aug 2011 11:09 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by spearspark:

The problem here is not the value of the bike, it about the the way the police handle bike thief problem. It seem like loosing your bike it your own problem. It not their duty to handle it. My aunt who lost 2 bikes in a year went to the police for only once. When i asked why she did not report the second one, she said that Singapore police only handle big problems, don't waste time reporting.
Regarding my case, the IO called me and said because PE is around the corner, so asked me for more time to investigate. so still waiting for update.

"

Regular Forumer
114 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Aug 2011 11:09 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by spearspark:

"

Sorry for your loss. Anyway I hope you don't pin too much hope on the investigation. After 2 months of waiting, I received a report on bike thieves being caught, but was not even from my area. Plus it was already on the newspapers. 2 months later, they sent another letter to tell us they have exhausted all leads.

Regular Forumer
114 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Aug 2011 9:18 PM    Quote and Reply

if you have no lead, don't expect the police to do much also.

what you want them to start off with? it'll likely waste alot of resources, manpower and what not.

so to be fair, expectation have to be aligned properly.

Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving

Albert Einstein
Regular Forumer
136 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Aug 2011 10:31 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Andy0912: if you have no lead, don't expect the police to do much also.

"

yup, very true. A friend of mine just lost several ten thousands due to a housing rental scam.
The culprit was good to cover his tracks thus no lead whatsoever except for the name.
The police could not do anything.

http://www.cyclingsolutions.biz
Regular Forumer
313 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Posted on: 19th Aug 2011 11:25 AM    Quote and Reply

There should be entrapment exercise done by volunteers who would park blink blink bikes and wait for the thief to strike.  The thief is then held back for Police to come.  If this is done frequently, all bike thieves would be rounded up in a matter of time.

Regular Forumer
209 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings