Topic: Angry roadies On PCN

Posted on: 2nd Jun 2019 9:08 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Alexx8590:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Bluesky3000: To be honest, Singapore has one of the worst social background for anyone else on the road... Have never experienced the crazy honkings and rude actions and remarks overseas.."

Roadies generally have a hard time globally, Youtube has countless videos for reference. But if you avoid city areas and peak hours, the roads are generally quiet and pleasant. But again, we have too many recent cases of arrogant roadies not abiding by traffic rules as well as bad drivers. And the small population and tiny island only magnifies the hatred between drivers and roadies. Generally if you stick to the left, ride in line of twos and don't swerve into the middle, there would'nt be an issue, at least not for me. "
Perception always problematic. However, more and more people perceive especially cyclists, that the Highway Code as per their individual liking. No way such perception can align/tally with other road/PCN/footpath users. So the offending cyclist(s) gets annoyed that the others are not aligned with the individual cyclist's perception. While the others are annoyed that the cyclist is not aligned with the perception of each of them. Some/many cyclist do not even have a bicycle bell on thier bicycle. Some pedestrian do wear earplugs, ignoring being alert by cyclist. Some pedestrian starts walking in zig-zag manner upon hearing bicycle bell ringing?"
Alot will be hearing music and ignorant on the path as well.

Regular Forumer
24 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Posted on: 23rd Jul 2019 9:10 PM    Quote and Reply

I'm a normal trail rider but when comes to PCN we gotta be safe and giveway or slow down when we see kids or slower PCN user like joggers.

Same happens to me, i was cycling at east coast with my MTB together with my 9yo kid leisurely. a group of roadies speed and shouted at my kid to keep left, one of them even shake their head.
they scare the hell out of him. 
i was really thinking this should not be the way they cycle in PCN where a lot of slower user there.
 where is the restriction enforcement, there is really something we can only see with the speed limit sign but non of us can do anything about people to break it.

Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 24th Jul 2019 5:10 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Bbfit: I'm a normal trail rider but when comes to PCN we gotta be safe and giveway or slow down when we see kids or slower PCN user like joggers.

Same happens to me, i was cycling at east coast with my MTB together with my 9yo kid leisurely. a group of roadies speed and shouted at my kid to keep left, one of them even shake their head.
i was really thinking this should not be the way they cycle in PCN where a lot of slower user there.
 where is the restriction enforcement, there is really something we can only see with the speed limit sign but non of us can do anything about people to break it.

"
Good idea to enjoy cycling along the PCN. However, no one would like to see any kid get hurt. It would be safer to train children to learn to look out and avoid danger on their own. Example: cycle in a straight line and keeping left, instead of centre of the PCN. Cycling along the centre of the PCN can be confusing to others, as they have to either overtake or undertake. Roadies cycling fast can get dehydrated much faster and be temporarily mentally retarded. Any miscalculation and the re can be accident. Let us take the precaution of helping kids by training them to be that careful, be it along the roads/PCN.

Regular Forumer
6,187 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Jul 2019 8:35 AM    Quote and Reply

Now ask yourself this, as a father, would you rather your son be shouted at by imbecile roadies or have the roadies NOT spot you or your son, hence they won't shout at all, then collide & have a mass orgy of metal & flesh on the ground? The choice is ultra clear.

Slow bikes must keep left, no exceptions - that is the most basic rule when riding. So teach your son well first before letting him ride on PCN. You are the adult here, not your son.

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Bbfit: I'm a normal trail rider but when comes to PCN we gotta be safe and giveway or slow down when we see kids or slower PCN user like joggers.

"

Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Jul 2019 11:39 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Maxo:

Now ask yourself this, as a father, would you rather your son be shouted at by imbecile roadies or have the roadies NOT spot you or your son, hence they won't shout at all, then collide & have a mass orgy of metal & flesh on the ground? The choice is ultra clear.

Slow bikes must keep left, no exceptions - that is the most basic rule when riding. So teach your son well first before letting him ride on PCN. You are the adult here, not your son.

Quote:

"
Based on what Bbfit confessed. He himself may noy be well veresed with cycling along the PCN, and lack knowledge to guide his kid on safe cycling. There are a number of cycling coach around who can help.

"

Regular Forumer
6,187 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Jul 2019 11:33 PM    Quote and Reply

I am a regular user of road and PCN as well as a driver. The trouble with shared path is that the mix of users is highly varied. There are the learner cyclist which perceive that PCN is the safest area to learn which is in a way true. Learner cyclist tends to swerve around and hog the road and also fail to keep a safe lookout for faster cyclist behind and keeping safe distance from joggers and pedestrians who may be unaware and also hogging the middle of the lane. Sometimes it is the lack of ability to keep the line, sometimes it is from lack of knowledge that slower cyclists should keep left. When I taught my 5 years old boys to cycle PCN, I keep giving him instructions to keep left and stay within about 2 feet from the side except during overtaking which he should warm with single bell or by voicing out. That distance is about right in case he lose balance and veer out of the bike lane altogether. If taught well, 5-6 years old can be fairly accomplished at cycling etiquette and keep a decent 15-21kph for many km safely. My boys can do 40km cycling by now. 
Sometimes for my own safety, some like myself choose to cycle at PCN despite exceeding PCN speed limit (25kph FYI) during less busy hours as behaviours of some drivers can be endangering my solo ride safety. Riding in peloton on road is usually safer but work and family time makes that a difficult proposition. So give some slack for some of us for speeding please. 
Done my fair share of road cycling in the past and given the narrower and busier road nowadays, it can be quite nerve wrecking as a small minority of drivers can be inconsiderate. 
Drives myslef and understand the frustrations of trying to overtake when being stuck behind a slow vehicle especially cyclist who needs considerably greater space than motorcyclist. 
Give and take a bit and life is less frustrating. 

Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Login to see your Forum Rankings