Topic: Angry roadies On PCN

Posted on: 30th May 2019 8:05 PM    Quote and Reply

I've been seeing alot of angry roadies lately shouting/cursing at rollerbladers and slower bikers on PCN. If it was a pedestrian one could understand, but they were screaming at recreational riders and rollerbladers. I think this is what give roadies a bad name. The moment people see the spandex and helmet they hate us because of people like them, even worse, none of this cyclists wearing spandex with sponsor logos belong to any actual team, just normal cyclists who bought an outfit from eBay and think they are from the Tour de france.

If you have a road bike and ride PCN, you have to understand it's a public park, not the Grand Prix, it is shared for all and there is a "speed-limit". If you really have to, just overtake, how hard is that ? If you can't accomodate other users, don't ride on the parks, ride on the road where roadies belong anyway for the speed. It's a good mix of caucasians and old uncles doing this. Grown men shouting at kids and families thinking they are olympic athletes, what a joke. But when they see other roadies they shut their mouth or when people shout back, they quickly speed off. Cycling is suppose to be a happy sport and again, if parks are frustrating, go on the roads, nobody is forcing you to ride the parks. Learn some manners and courtesy.
Freshie Forumer
7 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 30th May 2019 8:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Alexx8590: I've been seeing alot of angry roadies lately shouting/cursing at rollerbladers and slower bikers on PCN. If it was a pedestrian one could understand, but they were screaming at recreational riders and rollerbladers. I think this is what give roadies a bad name. The moment people see the spandex and helmet they hate us because of people like them, even worse, none of this cyclists wearing spandex with sponsor logos belong to any actual team, just normal cyclists who bought an outfit from eBay and think they are from the Tour de france.

If you have a road bike and ride PCN, you have to understand it's a public park, not the Grand Prix, it is shared for all and there is a "speed-limit". If you really have to, just overtake, how hard is that ? If you can't accomodate other users, don't ride on the parks, ride on the road where roadies belong anyway for the speed. It's a good mix of caucasians and old uncles doing this. Grown men shouting at kids and families thinking they are olympic athletes, what a joke. But when they see other roadies they shut their mouth or when people shout back, they quickly speed off. Cycling is suppose to be a happy sport and again, if parks are frustrating, go on the roads, nobody is forcing you to ride the parks. Learn some manners and courtesy."
Perception Always Problematic. Many/most who dress in spandex seems to perceived their attire enhanced their actual cycling skill to perhaps accident-proof level. Those you just described, could be newbie, make nervous when they saw recreational cyclists and rollerbladers along PCN. We are really too far from any Tour de France practice ground. As your suggestion, if they are being forced to cycle along PCN due to their limited cycling skill. We have bike lane, bus lane, dedicated to higher speed road cycling.

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 31st May 2019 4:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Actually not just on PCNs! I regularly use the on road cycling lane @ Tanah Merah Coast Road 1st day it opened to public 1st on a HT MTB and currently on a flatbar road bike/commuter! Roadies who are in pelotons and decked out in spandex as you pointed out give us solo/slower cyclists the "glare" I mean TMCR is for all cyclist regardless if one is a solo/non competitive or full carbon/spandex group roadies right?

Regular Forumer
184 posts
Forum Rep: 32

Singapore
Posted on: 31st May 2019 5:13 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by pinelights: Actually not just on PCNs! I regularly use the on road cycling lane @ Tanah Merah Coast Road 1st day it opened to public 1st on a HT MTB and currently on a flatbar road bike/commuter! Roadies who are in pelotons and decked out in spandex as you pointed out give us solo/slower cyclists the "glare" I mean TMCR is for all cyclist regardless if one is a solo/non competitive or full carbon/spandex group roadies right?"
I believe those more safety conscious would rather cycle solo. Those doing peleton cycling likely envious that we are more safety conscious, and avoid peleton cycling (where some told me they repeatedly broke their collar bones when they fell).

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 31st May 2019 12:48 PM    Quote and Reply

I live on the east side therefore I am on PCN alot of times for both cycling and jogging. Recently at ECP another Ang mor shouted at a rollerblader while I was jogging, funny thing was, the entire lane for both side was totally empty as it was a weekday afternoon, there was nobody for at least 3km, he could have just overtaken but I guess he had alot of anger in life. Not the first time I've seen such cases. He still rode infront of the rollerblader, shouting at him and pointed his middle finger. Another day some 30 year old looking guy shouted at a family with kids, which I assumed was for blocking him and his friends.

Not bias but after riding PCN for so many years, a accurate statistic of certain people cycling there will surface and it's not pleasant. It's the end of May and I have already seen 6 shouting incidents this month on weekdays, so it's definitely not because they are nervous or have poor skills, because PCN is already empty of people. And judging from their bikes and riding patterns, they are not beginners, just roadies angry for no apparent reason.

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 31st May 2019 1:51 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Alexx8590: I live on the east side therefore I am on PCN alot of times for both cycling and jogging. Recently at ECP another Ang mor shouted at a rollerblader while I was jogging, funny thing was, the entire lane for both side was totally empty as it was a weekday afternoon, there was nobody for at least 3km, he could have just overtaken but I guess he had alot of anger in life. Not the first time I've seen such cases. He still rode infront of the rollerblader, shouting at him and pointed his middle finger. Another day some 30 year old looking guy shouted at a family with kids, which I assumed was for blocking him and his friends.

Not bias but after riding PCN for so many years, a accurate statistic of certain people cycling there will surface and it's not pleasant. It's the end of May and I have already seen 6 shouting incidents this month on weekdays, so it's definitely not because they are nervous or have poor skills, because PCN is already empty of people. And judging from their bikes and riding patterns, they are not beginners, just roadies angry for no apparent reason."
Weather too warm these days, so those few could be dehydrated untill temporarily mentally retarded. Twice I encountered e-bikers who speed up when turning blind bend along PCN. Each time almost head-on into me at full speed. I try avoid PCN with blind bend, as these e-bike perceived it is safe to speed up whe they can not see around blind bend. No idea if those were on the way to Institue of Mental Health for their appointment/treatment.

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 31st May 2019 4:05 PM    Quote and Reply

To be honest, Singapore has one of the worst social background for anyone else on the road... Have never experienced the crazy honkings and rude actions and remarks overseas..

Regular Forumer
24 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Posted on: 31st May 2019 4:59 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Bluesky3000: To be honest, Singapore has one of the worst social background for anyone else on the road... Have never experienced the crazy honkings and rude actions and remarks overseas.."
The population density magnifying the issue. Some out of the way places here so peaceful even during peak hours. Of course out warm, humid weather, can be challenging patience.

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 31st May 2019 5:24 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Bluesky3000: To be honest, Singapore has one of the worst social background for anyone else on the road... Have never experienced the crazy honkings and rude actions and remarks overseas.."

Roadies generally have a hard time globally, Youtube has countless videos for reference. But if you avoid city areas and peak hours, the roads are generally quiet and pleasant. But again, we have too many recent cases of arrogant roadies not abiding by traffic rules as well as bad drivers. And the small population and tiny island only magnifies the hatred between drivers and roadies. Generally if you stick to the left, ride in line of twos and don't swerve into the middle, there would'nt be an issue, at least not for me. 

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Jun 2019 10:31 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Alexx8590: I've been seeing alot of angry roadies lately shouting/cursing at rollerbladers and slower bikers on PCN. If it was a pedestrian one could understand, but they were screaming at recreational riders and rollerbladers. I think this is what give roadies a bad name. The moment people see the spandex and helmet they hate us because of people like them, even worse, none of this cyclists wearing spandex with sponsor logos belong to any actual team, just normal cyclists who bought an outfit from eBay and think they are from the Tour de france.

If you have a road bike and ride PCN, you have to understand it's a public park, not the Grand Prix, it is shared for all and there is a "speed-limit". If you really have to, just overtake, how hard is that ? If you can't accomodate other users, don't ride on the parks, ride on the road where roadies belong anyway for the speed. It's a good mix of caucasians and old uncles doing this. Grown men shouting at kids and families thinking they are olympic athletes, what a joke. But when they see other roadies they shut their mouth or when people shout back, they quickly speed off. Cycling is suppose to be a happy sport and again, if parks are frustrating, go on the roads, nobody is forcing you to ride the parks. Learn some manners and courtesy."

WoW! That's bad for the image & reputation.

Regular Forumer
1,342 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Jun 2019 3:47 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Alexx8590:
Quote:

Roadies generally have a hard time globally, Youtube has countless videos for reference. But if you avoid city areas and peak hours, the roads are generally quiet and pleasant. But again, we have too many recent cases of arrogant roadies not abiding by traffic rules as well as bad drivers. And the small population and tiny island only magnifies the hatred between drivers and roadies. Generally if you stick to the left, ride in line of twos and don't swerve into the middle, there would'nt be an issue, at least not for me. "
Perception always problematic. However, more and more people perceive especially cyclists, that the Highway Code as per their individual liking. No way such perception can align/tally with other road/PCN/footpath users. So the offending cyclist(s) gets annoyed that the others are not aligned with the individual cyclist's perception. While the others are annoyed that the cyclist is not aligned with the perception of each of them. Some/many cyclist do not even have a bicycle bell on thier bicycle. Some pedestrian do wear earplugs, ignoring being alert by cyclist. Some pedestrian starts walking in zig-zag manner upon hearing bicycle bell ringing?

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings