Topic: [LOCAL NEW] A punch on the cyclist's face landed man in jail

Posted on: 6th Jul 2017 10:52 AM    Quote and Reply

This is an open discussion thread for the news [LOCAL NEW] A punch on the cyclist's face landed man in jail

A motorist was, on Tuesday (4 July), sentenced to an imprisonment of four weeks for a case of road rage that resulted in an injured cyclist and a damaged road bike. A separate charge of mischief was taken into consideration during sentencing.  

'Togoparts Team'
97 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Jul 2017 12:40 PM    Quote and Reply

I am a driver n a cyclist. The rule is to ride as close to the left as possible and not more than 2 abreast. The practice is not more than 1.5m apart. But what i see is that many riders are occupying the whole lane. I wanted to say this since a long time " THIS IS NOT YOUR GRANDFATHER'S ROAD " for your safety and the inconvience to other road users.

Regular Forumer
67 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Riding:
Posted on: 7th Jul 2017 7:51 AM    Quote and Reply

I agree with seykai. Though we would not know the real story of this incident let us learn from it. Most of us practice safe cycling and follow the rules but there are just some which give cyclist a bad reputation of hogging the road. 

Ride safely and considerate to other users as well.

Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Jul 2017 4:49 PM    Quote and Reply

Don't know the extent of the circumstances surrounding the incident, so can't really comment on whose fault it was etc. But physical violence is never the solution to any dispute and cannot be condoned.

As a driver and a cyclist myself, I know that cyclists are allowed to ride 2 abreast and in so doing take up the lane on roads with 2 or more lanes. This is the right of cyclists.

However as a cyclist I accept that my speed can never match that of a motor vehicle. Therefore I try my best not to impede the smooth flow of traffic, whilst also looking out for my own safety.

In summary, just because I have a right to do something, that does not mean I must make full use of it. Doesn't hurt to be considerate :)

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 9th Jul 2017 7:26 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kevin301:

Don't know the extent of the circumstances surrounding the incident, so can't really comment on whose fault it was etc. But physical violence is never the solution to any dispute and cannot be condoned.

As a driver and a cyclist myself, I know that cyclists are allowed to ride 2 abreast and in so doing take up the lane on roads with 2 or more lanes. This is the right of cyclists.

However as a cyclist I accept that my speed can never match that of a motor vehicle. Therefore I try my best not to impede the smooth flow of traffic, whilst also looking out for my own safety.

In summary, just because I have a right to do something, that does not mean I must make full use of it. Doesn't hurt to be considerate :)

"

Can you point me to the rule that cyclists have the right to take up the lane on roads with 2 or more lanes?

Regular Forumer
67 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 11th Jul 2017 1:55 PM    Quote and Reply

Seems that many riders had the perverted idea that they have the right to take the lane on roads with 2 or more lanes.

The Road Traffic Act 7 (1) stated : No bicycle shall be ridden on the right of another vehicle proceeding in the same direction except when overtaking such other vehicle. (unless you consider a bicycle is NOT a vehicle)

The Road Traffic Act 8 : Every bicycle shall be ridden close to the left hand edge of the roadway and in such a manner as not to obstruct vehicles moving at a faster speed..... 

After all , it not about who has the right but your life is at stake.

Ride Safe n Be home to your family

Regular Forumer
67 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 11th Jul 2017 5:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Actually you missed out the next paragraph ( 7 - 2 ), which states:

"No bicycle shall be ridden on the right of any two other bicycles proceeding abreast in the same direction except when overtaking such other bicycles or on parts of roads or paths set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles."

If following 7-1, it does appear ambiguous, as a bicycle (in my opinion) is also considered a vehicle.
Oh well. Maybe the law is intentionally vague.

LTA recently published a guide called "Your Guide to Intra-Town Cycling". It's a PDF file, and the 2nd last page words it slightly differently: "Under the Road Traffic (Bicycles) Rules and other road-related rules, cyclists are allowed to ride two abreast in the same direction on a public road. A third cyclist (abreast) is only allowed when when overtaking. If three or more cyclists are riding in a group, they must ride in pairs or a single file"

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 13th Jul 2017 8:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Source1:
https://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=2&id=e2ae9585-6161-4560-aec0-1f5be3a40535

Quote1:
As announced at the 2016 Committee of Supply Debate, the Government has accepted in full the Recommendations on the Rules and Code of Conduct for Cycling and the Use of Personal Mobility Devices (PMDs) by the Active Mobility Advisory Panel (AMAP).

Source2 - Code Of Conduct For Cycling And The Use Of Personal Mobility Devices:
http://www.lta.gov.sg/data/apps/news/press/2016/20160317_AMAPPanelReport(final).pdf

Quote2:
Cycling maximum two abreast is allowed on all roads with at least two lanes in that direction, except those with bus lanes during the bus lane operational hours.

Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 13th Jul 2017 11:32 AM    Quote and Reply

"2 abreast allowed" does not mean that cylists can own the lane . every game or activity has its rules n etiquette n hope that we are not branded as BadAss of the road. 

Regular Forumer
67 posts

Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings