Topic: Commutting to work by urban bike

Posted on: 3rd Mar 2017 12:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi there just wondering if everyday cycling to work with urban bike for 17km (return trip) will it kill me? If I were using entry kind of bike? Never do that before would like to know if any of you bro/sis do that? Thanks!
Regular Forumer
12 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Mar 2017 8:38 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Max88: Hi there just wondering if everyday cycling to work with urban bike for 17km (return trip) will it kill me? If I were using entry kind of bike? Never do that before would like to know if any of you bro/sis do that? Thanks!"

I ride a $140 fixed gear city bike to work. Its around 10km per side so around 20km each day. My route is relatively flat except for kembangan hill and the braddell road slopey area.

I don't really know how fit you are so i don't really know if it will "kill" you. However it does get alot easier overtime. Its not only just the fitness aspect of it, after riding a route often you will usually settle into a pace to match your body and road conditions. For example, after riding so long you'll know when the traffic lights turn so you dont actually waste energy sprinting to stop. I used to sprint on the flat before the kembangnan slope so i can get over the hill easier but overtime i realised just riding in a constant effort was actually easier and eventually faster. 

Personally, i dont like to ride to work sweaty. So i ride at a very relaxed pace, fitted a pannier so my back dont get too warm. Usually i dont perspire at all when i reached my work place so i dont really need a shower. Just a change of clothes and shoes.

However my boss who also rides to work has a different view as he rather ride his roadbike as fast as possible to save time. That of course means he needs to shower everytime.

So it really depends on you on how hard you want you commute to be. Once in a while i will ride my roadbike or trackbike to do some intervals before work so you actually become more productive training-wise. Even a normal relaxed commute will function as a recovery ride.

I couldn't recommand commuting to work enough. Ride to work happy and when you are working you can always look forward to riding home. The best part about having a city bike(preferably a cheaper one) is you can park it anywhere and not worry if it gets stolen. It'll still suck, but not as much if you were riding the 5 digit priced one.

Oh and getting a cheap bike pays for itself. However its important that even thou it's cheap, you should get a good quality one and one that has its consumables easily available. I see people riding with 28" city bikes around, but when they get a puncture not every shop has that tube or tyre size.

Lor Sor Forumer
3,814 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Mar 2017 10:36 PM    Quote and Reply

Thank you line7 for sharing your experience! You must be physically fit and healthy for your commuting routine. How good if commuting to work can make me even healthier :)

I used to go jogging or play badminton at least once a week, not sure would it helps on this aspect? 

I do agree with you to get a budget bike to prevent it from stolenworry free to part anywhere..

Let's change my commute method , lifestyle and stay healthier!

Regular Forumer
12 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Mar 2017 3:43 PM    Quote and Reply

I ride a cheap cross bike to work. It used to be hard when I first started out but it got progressively easy over time.

Now I ride longer routes, make small detours so that the commute doesn't get so boring. If you can wake up earlier, it's nice to go out earlier and have some breakfast/coffee after the ride too.

Regular Forumer
20 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Riding:
1) Goose
Posted on: 7th Mar 2017 7:33 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi jhyun, 

Good idea! Commute to work can be so exciting and fun haha..
Believe there will be hard starting time for me, anyway with sheer determination nothing can stop me hee...! Ganbateh..

Regular Forumer
12 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings