Topic: Shipping Forks from US to Singapore

Posted on: 25th Feb 2017 12:38 PM    Quote and Reply

Good Day Fellow Togoparts Forumers,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience purchasing and shipping MTB Suspension Forks or Shocks from USA to Singapore. I'm trying to do this and the freight forwarders are holding my package saying that contains pressurized air and that they are not able to move on the item.

I was looking at other freight forwarders but the price seems to be too expensive in the range of $400+ for expedited delivery. I found one site offerring $78 but they are still checking if they can handle said Dangerous Goods Shipments for me.

Does anyone have any experience on this and is anyone able to share which companies they used before?

Thank you for your time!

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Feb 2017 10:28 AM    Quote and Reply

suspension fork air can be removed by just pressing the valve or by using the suspension fork high pressure pump. You can ask your seller to remove the air before shipping it out to you.
but for my opinion, I think it is still best to purchase locally, 1 for warrnty purposed, 2. cost of shipping from US to Sg is not that cheap, and I am not sure about the tax it will incur so in the end your savings will not be that big.

We have so many local bike shops in our Marketplace section that sell high quality fork, you might want to take a look at them.

'#TOGO1050 Admin'
94 posts
Forum Rep: 4

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 27th Feb 2017 10:52 AM    Quote and Reply

I have shipped RS SID air forks from U.K. To Singapore because they were 60% cheaper than buying locally. Mine came via DHL. Whilst you can release all air from the air chamber easily enough some forks come with a pressurized N2 damper assembly which requires the fork dismantling and a special tool to depressurize. The rules are pretty clear on air freight, "no compressed gases" I have even had to depressurize my tires fully when flying sometimes which can be a pain with a tubeless set up at the other end the lower cabin air pressure usually unseats the bead and the goo leaks out
you can tell the freight forwarder to open the package and let the air out of the spring chamber and hope that they don't mess it up if they are willing to do this

tax wise you may get hit up for 7% GST this end on the fork cost plus shipping costs but more often than not they don't bother collecting in my experience 

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 27th Feb 2017 11:08 AM    Quote and Reply

Thank you for your replies, it was way cheaper than the local market and I was looking for something with 9mm QR hence I had to get it from overseas, no one in the local market seem to have something that works with 9mm QR.

I'm cool with paying the GST and all.

I was gonna get FedEx to ship it for me, but I don't know if they will stop short saying that contents are pressurized and that we are not going to ship this. Other online stores have indicated that their forks can be shipped overseas so it seems like it is possible, just very troublesome.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings