Topic: Cycling on pedestrian path in Spore

Posted on: 7th Oct 2016 10:05 AM    Quote and Reply

You don't mind cyclists ringing @ you because you're a cyclist yourself. Me too. But there are pple(like someone I know) who disliked being rung at. For whatever reason, the horn/bell is pretty taboo here in Singapore, can't seem to figure out why. And there are pedestrains that just cross into your biking lane without looking. can be pretty frustrating...

Regular Forumer
16 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Oct 2016 10:33 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by seowhaha: You don't mind cyclists ringing @ you because you're a cyclist yourself. Me too. But there are pple(like someone I know) who disliked being rung at. For whatever reason, the horn/bell is pretty taboo here in Singapore, can't seem to figure out why. And there are pedestrains that just cross into your biking lane without looking. can be pretty frustrating..."

I am a 6 rides per week cyclist and I do mind people ride on MY pedestrian paths. But that's not the point.

The point is there is NO biking lane on the pedestrian path, the path belongs to walking pedestrians. Cyclist in Singapore like you and I do not own any road except for a few biking lanes in the PCNs. 

Any other place you ride, the owner (either drivers or pedestrians) get the same frustration as you do. The only difference is, they have the right to be frustrated, but you don't.

Regular Forumer
91 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Posted on: 7th Oct 2016 10:42 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by bdlee:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by seowhaha: You don't mind cyclists ringing @ you because you're a cyclist yourself. Me too. But there are pple(like someone I know) who disliked being rung at. For whatever reason, the horn/bell is pretty taboo here in Singapore, can't seem to figure out why. And there are pedestrains that just cross into your biking lane without looking. can be pretty frustrating..."

I am a 6 rides per week cyclist and I do mind people ride on MY pedestrian paths. But that's not the point.

The point is there is NO biking lane on the pedestrian path, the path belongs to walking pedestrians. Cyclist in Singapore like you and I do not own any road except for a few biking lanes in the PCNs. 

Any other place you ride, the owner (either drivers or pedestrians) get the same frustration as you do. The only difference is, they have the right to be frustrated, but you don't.

"

Biking lanes don't work in Singapore. Pedestrains will misuse them and still walk on them like nobody's biz but theirs. cycled on the east coast cycling track with pedestrains not taking heed of biking traffic. just cross in groups like nobody's biz. Cycled on the Buangkok PCN and 2 pedestrains just standing & chatting on the biking lane while leaving the footpath free. Pedestrains will think that biking lanes are for them to walk too....

Frustrating doesn't relate to quarrelling...just made the ride less pleasant...

Regular Forumer
16 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Oct 2016 11:18 AM    Quote and Reply

Yes..I fully agreed. There are bike lane n pedestrian lane at Changi beach area...but they choose to walk on the bike lane in group...usually blocking up the lane such that the cyclist cannot past..I experienced it many times almost every weekend while doing my rounds.

Regular Forumer
245 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Oct 2016 11:31 AM    Quote and Reply

I would like to ring at them to let me pass, but my road bike dun have bell, ended up I must chuke chuke at them to get their attention. Sometime kenna scolding from them, although I m on the right path. sigh sigh That why I say give n take, everything will pass. If we start to fight for who is right and wrong, usually there is no winner. Nobody like to admit they are wrong even if they are, ended up quarreling or even fighting.Mighty is the one who let go even they are right. Even if I m the jogger and some cyclist need to pass, it dun cost me much to just step one side to let him pass, wont lose one arm or leg and everybody happy. I believe the cyclist (like me) just need to pass by the park or lane to go home or somewhere, nobody purposely cycle around the lane or park to irritate pedestrian. Just my tot.

Regular Forumer
245 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Oct 2016 11:36 AM    Quote and Reply

Having said that, I must say there are many who will just give way to cyclist/pedestrian, I encountered many time too, almost 90% of the pedestrian are nice sane pp, who like living in harmony. There are also a minority of cyclist who like to ring very loudly or zig zag very fast even on pedestrian lane. So, there is no right cyclist or pedestrian, boil down to individual. Let ALL give n take.

Regular Forumer
245 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings