Topic: Cycling on pavement is Illegal in Singapore?

Posted on: 12th Apr 2016 3:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Is there any law in Singapore that prohibits Cyclists from riding on pavement/footpaths ?

Saw this article recently

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/parliament-government-accepts-active-mobility-panels-recommendations-in-full

Anyone kena caught and fined for cycling on pavement?

Regular Forumer
41 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Riding:
Posted on: 12th Apr 2016 4:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Road Traffic Act specifically prohibits Cycling on pavements however there is a bylaw that allows it in Tampines.

there are also problems where PCNs suddenly stop and become pavements where you have to get off and push by rights. However as Long as you are not being a dick it's largely ignored.

the cops do have the occasional sting operation where they turn up in town Centres and dish out $50 compound fines and the LTA may hassle you for riding on overhead bridges or underpasses.

They seem to be more focused on ebikes on pavements or illegally modified these days though they still don't really bother 

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 12th Apr 2016 5:27 PM    Quote and Reply

Didn't know that cycling on pavement was previously deemed illegal. I have been making plans to cycle to work, 35% PCN 65% pavement. If I gotta wait till end of year to cycle on pavement with peace of mind, I'll have to put that idea on hold.

Riding a foldie, so don't have the speed to ride on the road

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 12th Apr 2016 5:47 PM    Quote and Reply

As Long as you are reasonably sensible about it no one will hassle you. Keep away from real busy town centre areas give way to pedestrians and keep your speed down.

My kids have cycled on the pavements since P3 to get to school and no one has ever said one word. One is now sec3 the other P6. 

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 12th Apr 2016 8:30 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by SgtJoe86: Didn't know that cycling on pavement was previously deemed illegal. I have been making plans to cycle to work, 35% PCN 65% pavement. If I gotta wait till end of year to cycle on pavement with peace of mind, I'll have to put that idea on hold.

Riding a foldie, so don't have the speed to ride on the road :p"

Hi Bro, I agree with Zappa - Regardless cycling on the road, PCN or pavement, it is not about speed.  It is about cycling with sensibility, graciousness and defensively.

I think all of us have our fair share of experience with rude road users (drivers, cyclists, pedestrians).  Just try to respond positively and not be like them then I think things should work pretty fine.  No one with a sane mind is out looking to quarrel or pick a fight with others.   

I have no respect for irresponsible drivers. Neither do I have any respect for irresponsible cyclists and pedestrians. Its not one rule for "them" and another rule for "us".
Regular Forumer
223 posts
Forum Rep: 22

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 12th Apr 2016 10:22 PM    Quote and Reply

Heard from news lately that goverment has accepted the propsal from the committee which deems pavements can be shared equally with pedestrains, cyclist and PMDs (e-scooters...etc), so it seems that the law against cycling on pavement will be abolished in the coming months. But also expect very very strict measures on it

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/parliament-government-accepts-active-mobility-panels-recommendations-in-full?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&link_time=1460439744#xtor=CS1-10

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 13th Apr 2016 9:21 AM    Quote and Reply

Ain't confident enough to hit the road, especially during peak hour when drivers tend to drive aggressively to prevent others from cutting into their lane. All it takes is just one small knock from passing vehicle for the cyclist to get aquainted with asphalt on a physical and intimate level.
Before I was a cyclist, I don't know what they have to go through. Now that I cycle weekly and participate on this forum, I give plenty of space for road cyclists. 

End of day, PCN and pavement for me

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 13th Apr 2016 9:30 AM    Quote and Reply

I'm not confident enough to ride on the road too especially alone. If with a group maybe still okay.

Regular Forumer
41 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Riding:
Posted on: 13th Apr 2016 7:06 PM    Quote and Reply

I don't think they got enforce, or even enough manpower.

Just look at those industries area, all the workers cycling everywhere...can even cycle diagonally at red light junction.

I suggest outsource to certis, sure on the ball, but may create riots.

Regular Forumer
12 posts
Forum Rep: 4

Singapore
Posted on: 13th Apr 2016 8:40 PM    Quote and Reply

After the law passed in regards for allowing bicycles on pavements....be prepared to get honked or squeezed by all sorts of motorists even more except motorcycles.

The other day when I was riding along  of Vivo city, I was riding on the 2nd lane as the first lane leads to highway. I am always very defensive in riding. I rode just beside the white lines n yet suddenly I felt a big air con blowing at my legs...then a double deck bus rode pass me...it is literally, no joke 10 cm away from my road bike handle bar edge...ride safe guys.....treasure ur life

Regular Forumer
17 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Apr 2016 1:28 PM    Quote and Reply

It seems that everywhere when laws are revised to allow cycling on the footpath certain sections seem to think that the sky is going to fall in.

"Pedestrians will be run down by crazy cyclists" - shout some hysterical commentators.

"Cyclists will be forced off the road" - shout other hysterical commentators.

I've been in a couple of places where the law has changed. Guess what? The sky didn't fall in, pedestrians weren't run down and cyclists weren't forced off the road.

All the law change does is legalise what many people do anyway - I ride on the footpath with my kids and there is absolutely no way I would ride on the roads here with them.

As to cyclists being forced off the road - I've been deliberately run off the road by an idiot who told me that it was illegal for me to ride on the road and that I had to ride on the footpath. These idiots don't even know the current law and don't even have a clue how to act like adults. Changing the law isn't going to change that and based on what I've experienced elsewhere, it isn't going to make the roads anymore hostile for cyclists.

Regular Forumer
67 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings