Topic: How Old are your Bicycles?

Posted on: 6th Apr 2016 10:41 AM    Quote and Reply

I was updaing my bicycle profiles in the "rides" section and I saw lotsa new pretty bikes as well as some more evergreen retro bikes.

Thus I am just wondering

1) What is the age of your bike that you are frequently and actively riding now?

2) What is the oldest age of your bike that you own now (may not ride it that frequent)?

I have no respect for irresponsible drivers. Neither do I have any respect for irresponsible cyclists and pedestrians. Its not one rule for "them" and another rule for "us".
Regular Forumer
223 posts
Forum Rep: 22

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Apr 2016 10:50 AM    Quote and Reply

To start the ball rolling,

1) What is the age of your bike that you are frequently and actively riding now?
Age of the bike that I am frequently and actively riding would be 5 years plus - On One Inbred 456

2) What is the oldest age of your bike that you own now (may not ride it that frequent)?
Oldest bike that I own is a 21 years old - Tahara 7 spd MTB

I have no respect for irresponsible drivers. Neither do I have any respect for irresponsible cyclists and pedestrians. Its not one rule for "them" and another rule for "us".
Regular Forumer
223 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Apr 2016 11:22 AM    Quote and Reply

Grandpa's Axe is 150 years old and was handed down to him by his father and his fathers father before him. It has had 15 new handles and 5 new heads over 150 years but its the same Grandpa's Axe.

I haven't bought a complete new bike in years. I just swap components over and change things out, including framesets as they become obsolete or break or I just fancy a change. Current set of bikes when I moved back to Singapore around 8 years ago, but there are very few original physical components left.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 6th Apr 2016 11:40 AM    Quote and Reply

Do you have a pic of Granpa's Axe?  Would be awesome to see a vintage bike.  I assume it is still functionable. 

Regular Forumer
223 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Apr 2016 12:29 PM    Quote and Reply

LOL Grandpas axe is a conundrum used to highlight the difference between a physical object and its function. Not a bike

An axe has 2 components a head and a handle, the axe after both have been changed is no longer the same physical thing so Grandpas Axe is a noun that describes its function, to chop wood,, age purely describes the length of time a physical item has been required to perform this function

I was just pointing out that If you are not buying complete bikes but changing out components including a frame set, which is just another component, it becomes impossible to quantify the age of the physical bike in anything other than a totally arbitrary manner, only its function, therefore the age of my MTB is as Long as I have had a bike for riding trails. 

My my current hard tail frame set is about 4 years old but the m770 crank set is at least 8 years old  has been in 3 different frames before this one. The SID fork, Rohloff and dyno hub are only 2 years old so how old is the bike?

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Posted on: 6th Apr 2016 12:59 PM    Quote and Reply

LOL.  Thanks for the explanation on Granpa's Axe.  Good learning for me.

You are right pertaining to the age of the frame vs all the age of the components.

Therefore we can have these two categories:

1) age of frame
2) age of components

Regular Forumer
223 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Apr 2016 9:06 AM    Quote and Reply

LBS worst nighmare:

1) age of frame = 20 years
2) age of components = 20 years.
Remarks: frequently and actively riding now

LBS laughing to the bank:

1) age of frame = 1 yr
2) age of components = 1 yr
Remarks: Upgrading soon.

Regular Forumer
12 posts
Forum Rep: 4

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Apr 2016 9:58 AM    Quote and Reply

LOL - I called in at an LBS on my Ultegrs 6703 road bike the other day and one of the staff commented that my drive train was out of date and that they were having an offer on Di2.

Not just bike shops Though I heard a sales guy at a very reputable electronics chain spinning a sucker that his new 60" TV absolutely needed a $75 gold plated HDMI cable to get the best quality 1080p picture. When I pointed out that it's a digital signal not some analog HIFI thing - it either works or it doesn't he wasn't very happy, but the sucker still bought the cable

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Posted on: 7th Apr 2016 11:33 AM    Quote and Reply

Ha!  I bought a very old beat up Bike Friday "Air Friday", had the frame powder coated, and changed almost everything (wheels, rear derailleur, handlebar, brake levers, shifters, seatpost, seat).  Only the frame, brakes, crankset, and front derailleur are original. 

How old is the bike?  Hard to say, but I love it!

Regular Forumer
70 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Apr 2016 12:25 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: LOL - I called in at an LBS on my Ultegrs 6703 road bike the other day and one of the staff commented that my drive train was out of date and that they were having an offer on Di2.

Not just bike shops Though I heard a sales guy at a very reputable electronics chain spinning a sucker that his new 60" TV absolutely needed a $75 gold plated HDMI cable to get the best quality 1080p picture. When I pointed out that it's a digital signal not some analog HIFI thing - it either works or it doesn't he wasn't very happy, but the sucker still bought the cable"

But than, if you are cycling in groups, sure bow down to peer pressure & poisoned.

face value/ appreance very important....example: underwear wear 10 years also never mind, but handphone must change every one to 2 years.  

:-) 

Regular Forumer
12 posts
Forum Rep: 4

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Apr 2016 11:01 AM    Quote and Reply

my current (roadie) just turned 1 month

my previous (MTB) would've been 21 years old this year but it was stolen last year December (in my home country)

I can't remember my other bikes before these two

Regular Forumer
32 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings