Topic: Tired of getting flats while cycling (search for Continental tyres begins)...

Posted on: 14th Mar 2016 11:37 AM    Quote and Reply

Had another flat this morning.. :-(

This is after another flat on Fri morning, so I decided to start experimenting with new inner tubes and tyres. After Frid's flat I changed my tyres (external and internal) to 700cc 25mm from 700cc 23mm (no joy there..). So now I decided to change brand and see if there is a difference.

Can anyone recommend which Continental 25mm (tubes and tyres) is good for someone on the heavy side? I am 91Kg. I cycle about 180km ~ 250Km a week. I intend to wear out the newly installed brand-new tyres that I have, and ride the Continental tubes from tomorrow onwards.

If you can also recommend a shop that sells the tyres (preferably in the north Bishan ~ AMK ~ Yishun) I would be every so appreciated.
Freshie Forumer
5 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Mar 2016 2:23 PM    Quote and Reply

What tires are you using now? I've been whacking mileage with Continental GP4000 SII 700x23c for 3 years, no flats, minimal wear. 

I've tried Vittoria Rubino but still can't be as fast and durable as Continental. I'm 87kg.

edit : Also, if you're getting flats more often than usual, check your rim tapes if it's not wearing out or wrongly positoned. 700c holds high pressure tires which means it's pushing against the nipples very tightly. If your rim tape is already soft and showing sign of misalignment do have it replaced or aligned.

Below is an example of misalignment. 

Second picture shows what kind of rim tape needs replacement.

Regular Forumer
188 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 14th Mar 2016 4:23 PM    Quote and Reply

Many thanks for your helpful reply. I had the rims and external tyre checked this afternoon, and the bike mechanic said that the flat was caused from poor installation (there is no damage to the external tyre). He checked for stones etc, and the rims and said everything is as it should.

I will look for a place where I can buy and have installed "Continental GP4000 SII" after I wear out the current tyres (sounds like a good selection: http://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tyres/race-tyres/grand-prix-4000-s2).

One can only hope tomorrow will be brighter and more pumped up!  :-)

Once again many thanks for your helpful response.

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Mar 2016 10:15 PM    Quote and Reply

U did not say your flats was due to pinch or punture. For puncture wise, only thing is get a better tire (like continetal). If pinch then u need to check rims and also pump to 100psi (or above) depending on tyre specs

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th Mar 2016 2:53 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi albatross

I am a newbie who has only been cycling since June 2015, and have not yet started fitting my own tyres/tubes. However, I had the tyre checked on Mon after posting. The repairman said that the tube was probably damaged during installation. So this is my March scorecard so far:

The first March puncture, I think was because of a "small" stone. There was damage on the tyre as well, and I did "feel" the stone just before the tyre went flat. For the second March puncture, the tyre just went "puff" as I started accelerating for an uphill small bridge (no stone, no pot holes, nothing). The 3rd March flat was attributed by the mechanic to poor installation.

On Tue night I asked another mechanic do a full inspection of the rim, as well as change the rim tape. Better days are ahead (less walking more riding)? :-)

I ride at 100psi and have learned it the hard way in the very early days of the road bike to keep the tyre pressure there (not all newbies know that they have to pumb up their tyres frequently!!! but we certainly are taught quickly).

Hopefully I am done with either calling the daughter in the wee hours of the morning or praying for a free cab to pass by so that I can get home..

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Mar 2016 3:02 PM    Quote and Reply

I ride GP4000sII they are Super fast rolling and light weight but I have had punctures every now and again with them. They have no puncture protection - they are a race tire, it would slow them down. I carry a spare tube, levers and CO2 inflator under the saddle. 
if you are primarily looking for speed then they are a good choice. If you are looking for durability above all else they wouldn't be my choice. Maybe look at the Gatorskins

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 16th Mar 2016 4:24 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi Zappadeedoohdah

Will be giving the Conti's a try (as soon as I wear out the current set of tyres - waste not), and will be learning this one too: "I carry a spare tube, levers and CO2 inflator under the saddle". Very good advice, thank you.

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Mar 2016 9:38 PM    Quote and Reply

What do you guys think of road tubeless tires or anyone uses them now? Been thinking of trying since my wheels are tubeless ready but seems there's a divide of opinions. Good thing is its almost flat free. The bad is installation and price.

Regular Forumer
96 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Mar 2016 10:43 PM    Quote and Reply

Just switch to using tubeless tires running at 80psi front n rear. Tempting fate n not carrying any spares tubes, co2 cartridges. So far about 7 rides changi coastal, mandai no issues. Using Zonda 2way fit wheel n schwalbe one pro for the front n IRC pro light for the rear. I do have tire sealant in the tires but don't really know if that will work yet. 

My two cents worth if planning to switch to using tires, make sure the wheels support the use of tubeless tires cos the design of tubeless wheels are different. And use Schwalbe pro one cos they are fairly light n easy to fit on even easier than the conti 4000s clincher tires.

Regular Forumer
11 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings