Topic: Recommend a lubricant...

Posted on: 8th Dec 2015 12:35 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi albatross, is there any adverse/negative reaction if I continue to use the motorbike chain spray? Since it's already bought, don't want to waste it :p

But if it is going to affect the bike negatively, then I better throw that away before any permanent damage sets in.

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Dec 2015 2:00 PM    Quote and Reply

It should not cause any problem on your bike, my suggestion is that you put a small amount of lube on the chain link every link then move the pedal backwards to spread out the lube evenly, then use a clean rag to remove excess lube, too much lube will just attracts dirt and grime particularly in a dusty places. so removing the excess lube is a must..

'#TOGO1050 Admin'
94 posts
Forum Rep: 4

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Dec 2015 2:06 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for the reply, at least I don't have to worry about using it, though I didn't know that too much lube is a bad thing. Since it's a spray can, I normally spray along the chains while back pedalling, then spray a healthy amount on the cassette while forward pedalling and shifting gears.

Only down side is it splatter the excess lube along the HDB corridor, look as if someone carried out exocism outside my house

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Dec 2015 2:32 PM    Quote and Reply

my suggestion is to apply the lube every after bike cleaning, re-applying a lube during the ride just make your chain more attractable to dirt, the bike lube after bike cleaning is enough for you to make 50-70km pedalling distance, kindly avoid spraying lube in corridors in order to maintain cleanliness to that place. this also applied in trails, that is why some of bike chain lube are biodegradable in nature to save Mother Earth (no offense meant)

'#TOGO1050 Admin'
94 posts
Forum Rep: 4

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Dec 2015 10:03 PM    Quote and Reply

well,  I did say "May" it also depends on which brand of motor cycle lube used, of course if the brands cheaper, it may have adverse condition . Its like spraying WD40 on a chain, some say ok and is good, some say better dun and is bad.. u get the idea.  Thats why i advise, just get a lube for a bicycle to save the trouble as its not that costly and a bottle can last for a VERY long time

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 14th Mar 2016 10:01 AM    Quote and Reply

So which lubricant do you guys use?

Freshie Forumer
6 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Mar 2016 10:24 AM    Quote and Reply

Rock n Roll Gold is my favourite, Long lasting and doesn't send the chain black and gunky 

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 14th Mar 2016 2:31 PM    Quote and Reply

ECM Chain Dry Lube, no black mess so far. Super low viscosity Lithium Grease.

Regular Forumer
188 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 14th Mar 2016 6:11 PM    Quote and Reply

i went back to Finish Line dry lubricant. So far so good.

Regular Forumer
82 posts
Forum Rep: 6

Riding:
Posted on: 14th Mar 2016 10:36 PM    Quote and Reply

No good or bad brand if its bicycle lube, only thing is how is usage. i did a post somewhere around here a few months back regarding whether to use dry or wet lube. But to summarised :

Dry:

pros: less yucky, reduce dust, sand grime sticking on to chain.
cons: very fast worn off, rain water tends to wash if off, hence have to apply regularly

Wet:

pros: not easily washed off or worn off, no need to apply regularly , can last (depends on usage) a fortnight to a month.
cons: yucky and is a dust, sand and grime attraction

So some ppl use the wet for rainy seasons and the dry for dry hot season

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings