Topic: Recommend a lubricant...

Posted on: 22nd Oct 2015 9:52 AM    Quote and Reply

I was using FinishLine for many years before switching to Triflow Superior Dry Lubricant. But I notice that it makes my chain turn black after one or two rides.

Any recommendation for a dry lubricant which does not do this?
Regular Forumer
80 posts
Forum Rep: 6

Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Oct 2015 11:20 AM    Quote and Reply

F100. if your chain turns black means u apply too much already

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Oct 2015 12:44 PM    Quote and Reply

i had put 1 drip on alternate chain link. Is this the norm?

Regular Forumer
80 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Oct 2015 5:48 PM    Quote and Reply

On top of that u need to run it while holding a rag and touching the chain below so that the excess oil comes out and your chain hardly has oil (but still have)in it 

Regular Forumer
871 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Oct 2015 10:30 PM    Quote and Reply

Squirt lube

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Oct 2015 11:13 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by albatross: On top of that u need to run it while holding a rag and touching the chain below so that the excess oil comes out and your chain hardly has oil (but still have)in it "

I didn't do this. Thanks for the tip.

Regular Forumer
80 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Oct 2015 11:20 PM    Quote and Reply

drip a drop of the lubricant only to the contact pin between each link, it is a bit more work but it will reduce over application of the lub, then clean the chain, the chain ring and the derailer puller with any cloth to remove access lub. Lubricating the link is not needed as they dont have a lot of frition between the chain ring and the derailer.

Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 25th Oct 2015 10:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by jacsonkyp1992: drip a drop of the lubricant only to the contact pin between each link, it is a bit more work but it will reduce over application of the lub, then clean the chain, the chain ring and the derailer puller with any cloth to remove access lub. Lubricating the link is not needed as they dont have a lot of frition between the chain ring and the derailer."

In one of my previous bikes, I didn't lubricate the links well enough, and it actually caused the chain-ring to be worn until some of the teeth were slightly sharp instead of round.

Regular Forumer
80 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 27th Oct 2015 10:52 PM    Quote and Reply

It also depends on your type of lube. If dry ones , u need to lube more often as it easily will evaporate in 1 to 2 weeks or get wash off if kena rain . Upside is that it does not dirty your chain so much. 

Wet one is vice versa of dry one

Regular Forumer
871 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Dec 2015 5:38 PM    Quote and Reply

Pardon the noob question: Is there any difference in chain lube between bicycle and motorbike?
Gotten the spray lube from petrol kiosk, use it to spray the chain after each cycling session, but make a mess of the common corridor when I run the chains through the gears.

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Dec 2015 10:34 PM    Quote and Reply

Yes, motorbike one is thicker & wetter because chain on motor is thicker. may not be suitable for bicycle chain. My take is, just buy a lube design for  bicycle. Dry or wet one is up to u. less than $20 can get

Regular Forumer
871 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings