Topic: Help Me Decide a Bike!!

Posted on: 15th Sep 2015 12:15 PM    Quote and Reply

So i am considered a entry lvl biker and i need some help.
My budget is 200-300. I prefer 2nd hand bikes as i am told it much more a bang for my buck. Been researching and here are the bikes i have came across

Raleigh Enduro Pro 2013 
Giant Iguna Disc 2008
Diamond Back Response 2010
Cronus Holts 2.0

All of them are 2nd hand and are in great conditions
NEED HELP!
Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Sep 2015 4:53 PM    Quote and Reply

In my opinion, the most important criteria is that the bike fits you well. Doesn't really matter if another bike is more "bang for your buck". If it happens to be ill-fitting, you would get unnecessary aches and pains and might even dislike cycling in the long term.

There are plenty of websites to help you gauge the appropriate bike frame size. Subequently you can achieve minor adjustments by changing components as necessary.

What sort of riding do you think you'll be doing most often? PCN (i.e. smooth roads, fairly slow) or tough trails?

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 15th Sep 2015 9:27 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi! Same here, facing a dilemma between a few different bicycles. 

Well, I'll be very straightforward.

Currently i'm using my uncle's Raleigh M20, very durable and great with those bumps you get after you get off from the grass at those pedestrian walkways (guilty). As i'm into fitness, trying to lose weight and all, I've been attracted to hybrids like Trek, Giant and Polygon but i can't really decide. My budget is below $750 (i know i can't get a really good bike with this price but i think it'll do for my purposes) 

The uses: Daily use, gotta grab lunch/stuffs, gonna use to Explore Singapore starting with ECP since i stay nearby; been to Satay by the Bay already but tryna go further; Fitness. 

I've been told that Giant would be more value for money and Trek produces great bikes so i'm still contemplating between these 2 brands. 

I narrowed down to Trek FX7.0,7.1,7.2 ;Giant Escape 1,2,3 

I know the new Treks are $500-$700 while Giant Escapes are $400-$900.

Of course, i wouldn't mind second hand bikes as well! 

Any recommendations or advices for a beginner like me?  

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Sep 2015 4:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi,

maybe be you can try polygon ? 

Regular Forumer
18 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th Sep 2015 4:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by mdavaraj: Hi,

maybe be you can try polygon ? "

Which model are you talking about? and are they worth the price ?

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Sep 2015 5:48 PM    Quote and Reply

Hello again. To be honest, I am a noob myself... So I can't really tell you which is better... 

Recently got  a polygon xtrada 4... There is xtrada 3 and 5... I am very heavy... It managed to take my weight so far... So I would say it's a good bike For me at least. 

Maybe you can check the online store out for prices and specs 

http://store.rodalink.com.sg

Regular Forumer
18 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th Sep 2015 7:22 PM    Quote and Reply

alright thanks! I'll actually drop by rodalink and treknology since they are like a 10minutes bus ride away from where i stay 

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Sep 2015 12:06 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ozk: Hi! Same here, facing a dilemma between a few different bicycles. 

Currently i'm using my uncle's Raleigh M20, very durable and great with those bumps you get after you get off from the grass at those pedestrian walkways (guilty). As i'm into fitness, trying to lose weight and all, I've been attracted to hybrids like Trek, Giant and Polygon but i can't really decide. My budget is below $750 (i know i can't get a really good bike with this price but i think it'll do for my purposes) 

The uses: Daily use, gotta grab lunch/stuffs, gonna use to Explore Singapore starting with ECP since i stay nearby; been to Satay by the Bay already but tryna go further; Fitness. 

I've been told that Giant would be more value for money and Trek produces great bikes so i'm still contemplating between these 2 brands. 

"

For fitness riding, the bikes you've shortlisted are pretty darn good.
Most important is that they fit your budget of course :)

My preference is for:
1) Aluminium frame with rigid carbon fork
2) Hydraulic disc brakes
3) 700 x 32C (or slightly wider) tyres

The reasons why I have such preference:
1) Total bike weight would be about 10kg or just under. Pretty easy to carry up stairs, etc.
2) Hydraulic disc brakes are gaining popularity even on road bikes. Great power and modulation.
3) Smooth-rolling. Large selection of tyres available should you should to change tyre widths later on.

Recently saw a Giant Escape 1 Disc marked down to $799 at Giant near Tampines Round Market. Pretty good value. Would last you many thousands of kms of riding.

Regular Forumer
286 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th Sep 2015 12:25 PM    Quote and Reply

Provided its the size that suits ts. Most marked down bikes are mostly s or xs size frames

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th Sep 2015 1:29 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by albatross: Provided its the size that suits ts. Most marked down bikes are mostly s or xs size frames"

Yes you're right! :)
I think they still have S, M, and L, if I remember correctly.

Regular Forumer
286 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th Sep 2015 7:33 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kevin301:

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ozk: Hi! Same here, facing a dilemma between a few different bicycles. 

"

For fitness riding, the bikes you've shortlisted are pretty darn good.
Most important is that they fit your budget of course :)

My preference is for:
1) Aluminium frame with rigid carbon fork
2) Hydraulic disc brakes
3) 700 x 32C (or slightly wider) tyres

The reasons why I have such preference:
1) Total bike weight would be about 10kg or just under. Pretty easy to carry up stairs, etc.
2) Hydraulic disc brakes are gaining popularity even on road bikes. Great power and modulation.
3) Smooth-rolling. Large selection of tyres available should you should to change tyre widths later on.

Recently saw a Giant Escape 1 Disc marked down to $799 at Giant near Tampines Round Market. Pretty good value. Would last you many thousands of kms of riding.

"

Alright thanks! much appreciated! might actually go for the Giant Escape 1 Disc if it's still available early next  week 

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings