Topic: Whats is the current NS practice?

Posted on: 10th Jun 2015 8:04 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by nolight: They should include both pushups and pullups in IPPT. Training only push movements can lead to muscle imbalance. NS nowadays is pathetic."
I find reverse push-up useful for cycling endurance. Some nonsense taught during NS include running with heel-strikes. Those caught running on forefeet like Marathon runners were penalised. 
I find excessive high intensity interval cycling can hurt the knees, when running as cross training. Now I need to take it easy with cycling to pick up on the running practice. 

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jun 2015 8:08 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: One of my engineers just back off a 3 year deferred Reservist due to working overseas failed his IPPT. He's got 12 weeks of RT and he's never going to pass, that's a lot of time to give up for free. seriously should people be punished like this after NS it's his choice to be a fat bastard, he's done his duty, does the country really need 35 year old reservists that can jog along east coast?

i did warn him that he would be in the shit if he carried on consuming and doing nothing he was going to get in the shit so perhaps it's his own stupid fault"
Do try help him reduce his body weight with dieting. I find it more effective to reduce body weight than just more physical training exercises. More physical efforts actually means risk of injuries if over-weight. I learned the hard way thinking I were still strong. 
I had seen some 'coach' training half-Sumo sized student, to do 100M sprinting along the track, without mention of weight reduction to minimise legs injuries.

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jun 2015 8:53 PM    Quote and Reply

There is always a choice to train to pass your ippt or spend your time doing something else. However it is also the duty of the army to do something to help their reservist pass ippt. This is by providing RT. The army cannot do nothing because it will send a wrong message that it is ok not to be combat fit.

Changing the format to 3 station is closely referenced to what other armed forces are doing. The combat environment and combat fitness required in the 21st century is different now. 

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings