Topic: Mountain Bike Riding or Road Riding?

Posted on: 7th Apr 2015 7:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi all.. I used to ride a few years back but had to sell because of financial difficulties, back then my parents don't support my hobby.

I had a friend i've known through here last time and helped me a lot when I first started mountain bike riding.. but since lost contact after i sold my bike.. He helped me a lot, if he's still here, just wanna say thank u for all your generous help. 

I am thinking now that I'm older I can buy and maintain my own bike.. I am thinking whether I should carry on doing mountain bike riding or should I switch to road riding?
Freshie Forumer
9 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Apr 2015 7:21 PM    Quote and Reply

Since you are an experienced rider who can maintain your own bike, you should get yourself a recumbent bicycle. 

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Apr 2015 4:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Although I do maintain my own road bike, I still find limited roads to cycle if I get a recumbent (I like to cycle to work).

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Apr 2015 8:19 AM    Quote and Reply

If your workplace has enough space to park a recumbent bike, it shouldn't be a problem cycling to work. You would definitely not want to leave your bike unattended parking at Mrt stations. Actually I don't see any roads recumbent cannot go. A trike with 3 wheels would be wider. I ride a 2 wheel recumbent bike, which is as wide as a normal upright bike. I ride like a car and stop behind them at traffic lights. We don't filter forward in between cars to take the front spot at traffic lights. This gives drivers a strong perception to respect me as their equal on the road. 

On the other hand while on my mountain bike on the road, drivers assume I can squeeze in the narrow space and not bother to give me space. This makes it more dangerous for me in reality. Unless you are cycling in a big group, cycling alone on an upright bike is really dangerous on the road.  

Regular Forumer
343 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Apr 2015 9:19 PM    Quote and Reply

My road bike for errands, sight-seeing, besides commuting. A recumbent would be a little too attractive to unwelcomed guests while I do shopping with it parked in public places. Although I do admire recumbent bike/trikes when I sighted one.

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Apr 2015 11:18 PM    Quote and Reply

Agree, recumbent bike attracts a lot of attention. 

Regular Forumer
343 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 26th Jul 2015 1:13 AM    Quote and Reply

whatever bike you decide to take on.
ride safe, and have fun riding! (:

Work Hard, Play Hard, Cycle Hard!
Enjoys while you can
Regular Forumer
66 posts