Topic: Best way t clean your water bottles

Posted on: 27th Jul 2014 7:27 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi all,

got a baby bottle brush that one step. Now what type of cleaner does one need to sanitize your water
bottles, I mean the proven and tested way.  Warm soap or detergent? Are there specialized cleaning
powders or those dissolving cleaning pills etc....?

Some msy just say that just let your mixers or taps running water water jet the interior and that's it.
but I disagree as organic growth or harmful bacterial May remain.  

Anyway, any useful and practical methods are welcome unless idiotic and sarcastic. 

This is is a very helpful information less you are a Hun blood type with barbaric ancestors who
care less for hygiene and would opt to drink from skinned skulls of conquered enemies.
Lor Sor Forumer
995 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Jul 2014 8:19 PM    Quote and Reply

My go-to method involves some baking soda, dish soap and reasonably hot water. I let it sit for a bit before shaking it and thoroughly rinsing the bottle out. Just be mindful about the built-up pressure during and after shaking!

Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Jul 2014 10:58 PM    Quote and Reply

I use white vinergar mixed in with warm water. That's it. But for water bags i use sterilising liquid (originally for babies) and let it sit for a while then rinse with white vinegar again.
White vinegar is dirt cheap and just about kills anything and prevents growth and doesn't leave a funky smell. 

Regular Forumer
31 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Jul 2014 11:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by hamsterchick:

This is is a very helpful information less you are a Hun blood type with barbaric ancestors who
care less for hygiene and would opt to drink from skinned skulls of conquered enemies."

Good wine always taste better drank  from the skulls of conquered enemies 

Shanlung
山 龍
Mountain Dragon
http://shanlung.com
Regular Forumer
277 posts
Forum Rep: 9

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Jul 2014 12:56 PM    Quote and Reply

So sorry, I use disposable re-cycled isotonic drink bottle. My water bottles are decorations?

Regular Forumer
6,193 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Jul 2014 3:57 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891: So sorry, I use disposable re-cycled isotonic drink bottle. My water bottles are decorations? "

You more higher class than me.
I buy 1.5l bottles, drink and then discard the plastic bottle so no need to recycle or to clean with vinegar or clorox.  Eventually will drift into the Pacific vortex and become part of the great plastic continent there if that is not eaten by turtles or albatross.

Good to know you  a useful part of the web of life.

Shanlung
山 龍
Mountain Dragon
Regular Forumer
277 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Jul 2014 5:15 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by shanlung:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891: So sorry, I use disposable re-cycled isotonic drink bottle. My water bottles are decorations? "

You more higher class than me.
I buy 1.5l bottles, drink and then discard the plastic bottle so no need to recycle or to clean with vinegar or clorox.  Eventually will drift into the Pacific vortex and become part of the great plastic continent there if that is not eaten by turtles or albatross.

Good to know you  a useful part of the web of life.
Let me clarify as follows:-
After consuming the isotonic drinks, the bottles are used to fetch drinking water for the next sight-seeing cycling trip. After which, the bottles are disposed into the recycling bins around the island. Washing with vinegar/clorox is not practised (chorox liberates chlorine) .

"

Regular Forumer
6,193 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Jul 2014 6:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891:

Washing with vinegar/clorox is not practised (chorox liberates chlorine) .

"

You siow or something.
The entire Earth already past the tipping point long time ago and no way to turn back the clock.
Might as well pollute all we can and poison all other life that we can or eat them up pangolins and kidneys of mouse deers , tongues of larks etc etc while we still can or drink wine from skulls of killed enemies while we still can. 

Shanlung
山 龍
Mountain Dragon
Regular Forumer
277 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 29th Jul 2014 4:47 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by shanlung:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891:

Washing with vinegar/clorox is not practised (chorox liberates chlorine) .

"

You siow or something.
The entire Earth already past the tipping point long time ago and no way to turn back the clock.
Might as well pollute all we can and poison all other life that we can or eat them up pangolins and kidneys of mouse deers , tongues of larks etc etc while we still can or drink wine from skulls of killed enemies while we still can. "
LOL. I prefer to stay a little away from health issues if I can do so.

Regular Forumer
6,193 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 29th Jul 2014 7:50 AM    Quote and Reply

Testing the soda/detergent combo cleaner and would observe the results.

Anyway, green movement regarding usage of plastic materials for less is good. In fact started using
aluminum drinking bottles slowly......started with one which was okay and would continue the trend.

Anymore advice for cleaning?  

Lor Sor Forumer
995 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Posted on: 29th Jul 2014 11:11 AM    Quote and Reply

Aluminium is pretty reactive especially with anything not pH neutral, it is so reactive that in air it almost immediately forms a thin, hard protective oxide layer which protects the metal underneath this is why it appears to be corrosion resistant. However this oxide layer reacts with both Acids and Bases. If you are DIY cleaning / sterilizing fluids or putting fluids in your drinking bottle that are not pH neutral you may be ingesting dissolved aluminium salts. (Aluminium reactions can be catalysed with Sodium Bicarbonate (Soda) - I remember making a battery out of silver sulfide, Aluminium foils and Soda st school - which turns the Silver sulfide to silver and the Aluminium disolves into solution )

You should also note that Soda and detergent are not disinfectents; detergents and soaps dissolve react with grease and oils making them water soluable and easier to wash away, soda is basically a stain remover. They do not kill bacteria and viruses. Most powerful disinfectents are acidic, basic or an alcohol based chemical cocktail.
I don't know what is in the baby sterilizing solution you can buy and have no idea whether it will react with Aluminium or not. Baby stuff tends to be made out of food grade plastics these days.

If you are using Aluminium stuff then the best way to sterilze them is in a steamer for half an hour, after you have washed it using houshold detergent. Quality BPA free plastics are pretty safe and make for decent water bottles too.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Login to see your Forum Rankings