Topic: Are LCK, Neo Tee, Seletar/Punggol, Tampines Industrial safe from stray dogs at night?

Posted on: 23rd Apr 2013 12:42 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ttimlen: .
First of all thanks for all the advice and well-wishes for my wife - fortunately her wound is healing well - we live only about 4km from where the attack happened and once home she flushed the wound with saline anti-bacterial fluid from our first aid kit - then at Changi Hospital A&E the wound  was examined and cleaned again and she is now on antibiotics and doing fine - we were out cycling on our foldies yesterday.

On some of the comments made - here are some answers.

I am 99% sure that the three dogs were strays - however it is hard to be 100% sure on that

I have cycled on Lor Halus, Pasir Ris Farmway 2 and Pasir Ris Farmway 3 many times without any problems - maybe have seen a lone stray occassionally in this area but was never chased or barked at - the only barking I have heard there is on Lor Halus coming from the dog "hotels".

Met some loud farmdogs in Kranji (on one of the Lim Chu Kang lanes) a while ago but they were all bark and no bite - and too old and tired to chase me

After this I did think about defense options like pepper spray. A friend who takes his MTB to Malaysia in the palm plantations told me he has a steel rod with him. I also thought a bar of soap in a tube-sock could be effective and fit easily into the banana pocket.

The incident has now been reported to the Agri-Food and Vetinary Authority (AVA) Animal Response Centre (Animal welfare and animal nuisance) - will update the thread if/when they reply.

Not long ago there were packs of strays (3 to 5 dogs) along Pasir Ris Drive 3 between the Mosque and Loyang Point - they seemed to just lay on the grass - never noticed any aggression with them, but now haven't seen them in a long time.

One last observation: when the first dog appeared it was very calm and showed no aggression. I very slowly made a u-turn to leave the area and the dog suddenly changed its behaviour and went aggressive, and this is when the other two dogs suddenly appeared and surrounded my wife.

So while there has been much advice about what to do when strays are around - the problem is that they are very unpredictable so don't take anything for granted - my opinion is that there is a high likelyhood that many of these dogs are insane and irrational - so be prepared for the worse but at the same time don't panic, because as others have said previously they can sense if you are scared and that will make them more aggressive.

This attack pretty much proves that - my wife was really scared and she got bitten - mostly because the two dogs appeared suddenly and she was caught by surprise - while I saw the first dog and had time to prepare in a methodical way and I did not get bitten.

But even having said this, there is no guarantee that you will be able to avoid a bite no matter what you do, but you can reduce the risk. Good luck!!"

I am glad your wife is recovering, and your observations. Those dogs do not seems to bark, but may growled softly, just before biting. An ex-colleague of mine was bitten one day, after the dog that barked at him daily as he walked passby, stopped barking. Sometimes the dog pretend to walk away peacefully, but actually u-turned later to attack from the rear. Reducing our profile like stooping down encourages them to attack too. Stretching our hands like Jesus Christ does deter/discourage some dogs from attacking.

Some strays can be trained dogs abandoned. Shouting 'Sit' at it may work (it sat down). 

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Jun 2013 9:42 AM    Quote and Reply

LAst night at Ponggol PCN before the dirt road portion i was making a turning and i heard a pack of 6 to 7 dogs barking. At first i was like no problem just ride away...but suddenly they turned aggresive and strated to bark and 3 of them chased after me. I was a little shocked and scared, tried to ride faster but some how instinct reacted by riding into a couple who was sitting nearby and the dogs just stopped and turned away.
i urned around and they went back to their territory across the small drain at a slope.
i rode past them after they realise i was not a threat.

after riding to ponggol ponit and back to the same spot, the funny thing was the dogs all fell alseep at the same place they tried to attack me...must be too tired...
must be vigilent and careful guys! 

Regular Forumer
239 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 14th Jun 2013 9:56 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by scottscale_20: LAst night at Ponggol PCN before the dirt road portion i was making a turning and i heard a pack of 6 to 7 dogs barking. At first i was like no problem just ride away...but suddenly they turned aggresive and strated to bark and 3 of them chased after me. I was a little shocked and scared, tried to ride faster but some how instinct reacted by riding into a couple who was sitting nearby and the dogs just stopped and turned away.
i urned around and they went back to their territory across the small drain at a slope.
i rode past them after they realise i was not a threat.

after riding to ponggol ponit and back to the same spot, the funny thing was the dogs all fell alseep at the same place they tried to attack me...must be too tired...
must be vigilent and careful guys! "
I believe only the handful who read this alert here from you would be aware of the stray dogs pack. Other innocent passer-bys may get harassed until someone reported this to the Dog Control Unit. No harm for you to be one to report such matter. The next victim(s) could be school holiday kids. Many thanks. 

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Jun 2013 10:58 AM    Quote and Reply

Definitely need to report to AVA.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Jun 2013 2:21 PM    Quote and Reply

Just reported took me like 7 to 8 tires then get through
The guy over the phone informed me that most of the dogs come from lorog halus area.
They will do something about it. He never say what but i hope they do something 

Regular Forumer
239 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 14th Jun 2013 4:13 PM    Quote and Reply

I would email a report if the phone is very busy.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Jun 2013 4:44 PM    Quote and Reply

Guess what the guy i spoke to called me back just a while back and said that they are aware (they know so they claim) and would send some officer down to investigate.

Regular Forumer
239 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 14th Jun 2013 7:44 PM    Quote and Reply

like to share my experiences lol,

Each time i cycle at night with a colleague(only when with him), there will be encounter with stray dogs but most are easy to escape away from and non threatening.

Then there was this time at 2am in the morning we were from NSRCC passing CCR and i took off alone leaving him behind, its mutual understanding between us when i will speed up at certain route. Upon reaching Aviation Drive that stretch i quickly notice a big pack of fully grown black dogs sprinting out of the dark from the opposite lane, still about 15-20metres in front of me so my instinct told me to pedal very very hard from the energy left after the CCR sprint, these dogs are freaking fast they burst with me at close to 50kmh but for a short sprint and they had to stop chase, i was screaming with them along with their bark all e way, its fuking scary they are near my calve at one point.

I did not stop whacking e pedal insanely until about another 200-300metres turning my head back to check so often and suddenly realized OMFG he is still behind about to meet the aggrevated wolf pack !!! He is normally taking his own pace and enjoying it, i i tried waiting for a few mins and deciding to call to alert him(a bit retard should have call earlier), suddenly i saw him from afar, his hand gesture is telling me fuc left and fuc right and he look like a miserable man in distress really. Basically we met the same mishap but his dogs are nearer to his calves for a longer time both left and right side.

From this night onwards, we try to avoid as much as possible riding together, he is taking me as a very unlucky person to ride with, likewise likewise i told him..really from then on no more stray dogs experience hahaha...sorry for the long story but its very memorable for me lol..

Regular Forumer
62 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Jun 2013 5:00 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Adrakky: like to share my experiences lol,

Each time i cycle at night with a colleague(only when with him), there will be encounter with stray dogs but most are easy to escape away from and non threatening.

Then there was this time at 2am in the morning we were from NSRCC passing CCR and i took off alone leaving him behind, its mutual understanding between us when i will speed up at certain route. Upon reaching Aviation Drive that stretch i quickly notice a big pack of fully grown black dogs sprinting out of the dark from the opposite lane, still about 15-20metres in front of me so my instinct told me to pedal very very hard from the energy left after the CCR sprint, these dogs are freaking fast they burst with me at close to 50kmh but for a short sprint and they had to stop chase, i was screaming with them along with their bark all e way, its fuking scary they are near my calve at one point.

I did not stop whacking e pedal insanely until about another 200-300metres turning my head back to check so often and suddenly realized OMFG he is still behind about to meet the aggrevated wolf pack !!! He is normally taking his own pace and enjoying it, i i tried waiting for a few mins and deciding to call to alert him(a bit retard should have call earlier), suddenly i saw him from afar, his hand gesture is telling me fuc left and fuc right and he look like a miserable man in distress really. Basically we met the same mishap but his dogs are nearer to his calves for a longer time both left and right side.

From this night onwards, we try to avoid as much as possible riding together, he is taking me as a very unlucky person to ride with, likewise likewise i told him..really from then on no more stray dogs experience hahaha...sorry for the long story but its very memorable for me lol.."
Let us say that was real life encounter you had. Would everyone agree a report to the Authority be in order, to prevent the next victim(s) from similar harassment/harm?

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Jun 2013 5:41 AM    Quote and Reply

It's probably just a nightmare.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings