Topic: Are LCK, Neo Tee, Seletar/Punggol, Tampines Industrial safe from stray dogs at night?

Posted on: 22nd Apr 2013 10:24 PM    Quote and Reply

Use bicycle bell to scare them... I know one guy who always emphasize bicycle bell is useful than helmet... So this is it.

Regular Forumer
20 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2013 11:03 PM    Quote and Reply

My wife was bitten on Saturday 20 April 2013 @ 3pm on Pasir Ris Farmway 1 in Pasir Ris on her MTB.

We reached a dead end road - one dog came out very relaxed - but suddenly started barking and went for me.

I used the method of barking back as this has always worked in the past on Changi Coast road, but this dog seemed more determined.

Meanwhile two other dogs surrounded my wife and one bit her right calf - after that one of them left and the other joined the dog that was after me.

Since barking back at them didn't seem to be working, I remembered related advice about maintaining a slow cadence as fast moving feet seem to attract them - I also remembered someone told me about unclicking one foot so it can be used to kick the dogs while the foot that is still clicked in can pedal the bike.

So barking, kicking and pedalling slowly I managed to get away from the two dogs - then had to take my wife to A&E for getting her wound cleaned and she got a tetanus shot. They don't give rabies shots at Changi A&E.

The photo/map below shows where the attack took place.

These stray dogs are becoming more of a problem - I was surprised to see so many in Singapore - something must be done about it before small children get their faces bitten off or worse.

The Green Corridor Rail Trail

USER GUIDE (updated 27 June 2016) AT THIS LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zm-k4-KgqwoA.k9gUwceJLAk8
Regular Forumer
404 posts
Forum Rep: 14

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2013 11:21 PM    Quote and Reply

Will something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Halt-Dog-Repellent-1-5-oz/dp/B000E4Q7BS), a spray, be effective against those dogs? Reviews seems positive 

I'm just here to tone my belly
Regular Forumer
741 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2013 11:37 PM    Quote and Reply

Hope nothing serious and hope your wife had a speedy recovery. 

As highlighted by maxxx, dogs are territorial in nature. You have unfortunately encroached onto their territory. Barking at them is seen as a challenge to them, that's why they attacked.

Alot of people have not understood dog psychology and reacted wrongly. Different breed of dogs tend to have a different nature, there are pit bulls which are gladiators, Rottweiler which tend to be aggressive, etc. You have to recognise which breed of dog is barking at you and deal with it appropriately.

I am not an expert in dogs, but basic reaction should be no touch, no talk, no eye contact. Maintain a calm and assertive energy. As dogs are able to sense your energy, they know if you are wrecked with fear or otherwise. I would recommend you to watch the dog whisperer in national geographics channel in order to learn more about dog psychology. It will help greatly in the future.  

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 23rd Apr 2013 4:15 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ttimlen: .
My wife was bitten on Saturday 20 April 2013 @ 3pm on Pasir Ris Farmway 1 in Pasir Ris on her MTB.

We reached a dead end road - one dog came out very relaxed - but suddenly started barking and went for me.

I used the method of barking back as this has always worked in the past on Changi Coast road, but this dog seemed more determined.

Meanwhile two other dogs surrounded my wife and one bit her right calf - after that one of them left and the other joined the dog that was after me.

Since barking back at them didn't seem to be working, I remembered related advice about maintaining a slow cadence as fast moving feet seem to attract them - I also remembered someone told me about unclicking one foot so it can be used to kick the dogs while the foot that is still clicked in can pedal the bike.

So barking, kicking and pedalling slowly I managed to get away from the two dogs - then had to take my wife to A&E for getting her wound cleaned and she got a tetanus shot. They don't give rabies shots at Changi A&E.

The photo/map below shows where the attack took place.

These stray dogs are becoming more of a problem - I was surprised to see so many in Singapore - something must be done about it before small children get their faces bitten off or worse.

"

Do irrigate the wounds with saturated salt water/saline lotion to avoid infestion and speedy recovery.
Besides reporting to Dog Control Unit about the dog attack, also look into carrying some pepper sprays in future. Looks like more wild animals around than we used to believe.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Apr 2013 9:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi TTimlen, hope your wife is ok and that she will continue to love riding as usual after this incident.

There was once in the beginning when I ride there and I turned into farmway 1 wrongly when I was riding home and the place is even more ulu than farmway 2 & 3. Fortunately I discovered early and I quickly U-turn after 5 mins of ride inside otherwise I may be attacked by these dogs more so when I was solely alone at night around 11pm. 

By the way, just curious did anyone encounter any stray dogs along farmway 2 & 3 to/from pasir ris drive 1 so that I can be more prepared from my next ride there as till now I have not seen any strag dogs except heard them barking from a distance away. 

Regular Forumer
35 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Apr 2013 10:28 AM    Quote and Reply

I think the WHO classes Singapore as a rabies free island so you won't get a rabies jab for a bite here - just tetanus and antibiotics.
That's the first time i've heard of the Pasir Ris strays biting anyone - I quite often see them along farmway 3 and lor halus all they have ever done is bark at me. They have never tried to attack me - are you sure it was a stray or an unleeshed farmdog down farmway 1?
There were a couple of cases of joggers getting bitten in Punggol last year but the AVA got rid of most of the strays after that.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 23rd Apr 2013 10:54 AM    Quote and Reply

Farmway 2 & 3 are pretty safe. I use that route to return home from changi v every week around 10pm.
You see some stray around but they don't bother you unless you are loud and challenge them.
I know farmway 1 is shorter route to punggol waterway but a few hundred metres longer wouldn't hurt more that a dog bite.

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Apr 2013 11:48 AM    Quote and Reply

First of all thanks for all the advice and well-wishes for my wife - fortunately her wound is healing well - we live only about 4km from where the attack happened and once home she flushed the wound with saline anti-bacterial fluid from our first aid kit - then at Changi Hospital A&E the wound  was examined and cleaned again and she is now on antibiotics and doing fine - we were out cycling on our foldies yesterday.

On some of the comments made - here are some answers.

I am 99% sure that the three dogs were strays - however it is hard to be 100% sure on that

I have cycled on Lor Halus, Pasir Ris Farmway 2 and Pasir Ris Farmway 3 many times without any problems - maybe have seen a lone stray occassionally in this area but was never chased or barked at - the only barking I have heard there is on Lor Halus coming from the dog "hotels".

Met some loud farmdogs in Kranji (on one of the Lim Chu Kang lanes) a while ago but they were all bark and no bite - and too old and tired to chase me

After this I did think about defense options like pepper spray. A friend who takes his MTB to Malaysia in the palm plantations told me he has a steel rod with him. I also thought a bar of soap in a tube-sock could be effective and fit easily into the banana pocket.

The incident has now been reported to the Agri-Food and Vetinary Authority (AVA) Animal Response Centre (Animal welfare and animal nuisance) - will update the thread if/when they reply.

Not long ago there were packs of strays (3 to 5 dogs) along Pasir Ris Drive 3 between the Mosque and Loyang Point - they seemed to just lay on the grass - never noticed any aggression with them, but now haven't seen them in a long time.

One last observation: when the first dog appeared it was very calm and showed no aggression. I very slowly made a u-turn to leave the area and the dog suddenly changed its behaviour and went aggressive, and this is when the other two dogs suddenly appeared and surrounded my wife.

So while there has been much advice about what to do when strays are around - the problem is that they are very unpredictable so don't take anything for granted - my opinion is that there is a high likelyhood that many of these dogs are insane and irrational - so be prepared for the worse but at the same time don't panic, because as others have said previously they can sense if you are scared and that will make them more aggressive.

This attack pretty much proves that - my wife was really scared and she got bitten - mostly because the two dogs appeared suddenly and she was caught by surprise - while I saw the first dog and had time to prepare in a methodical way and I did not get bitten.

But even having said this, there is no guarantee that you will be able to avoid a bite no matter what you do, but you can reduce the risk. Good luck!!

USER GUIDE (updated 27 June 2016) AT THIS LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zm-k4-KgqwoA.k9gUwceJLAk8
Regular Forumer
404 posts
Forum Rep: 14

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 23rd Apr 2013 12:05 PM    Quote and Reply

This link was posted previously in a related thread:

http://www.examiner.com/article/what-to-do-if-you-re-chased-by-a-dog