Topic: Are LCK, Neo Tee, Seletar/Punggol, Tampines Industrial safe from stray dogs at night?

Posted on: 21st Apr 2013 5:39 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Dryftz:

try not to use lorong harlus to connect to pasir ris, if you are riding alone. the stray packs there does behave quite aggressively some times. i have encountered them twice. once, it was quite bad that i had to hold up bike like a shield and retreat slowly.

"

Do make report to Dog Control to protect others from being attacked. Stray dogs if starving, will try find new food source (cyclists/pedestrians).

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 21st Apr 2013 8:59 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891:
Do make report to Dog Control to protect others from being attacked. Stray dogs if starving, will try find new food source (cyclists/pedestrians)."

Sometimes it's better to keep quiet about your stupidity/fear than to announce to the world. I shudder to think of how many stray dogs that been put to sleep by you just because you think they're gonna make a meal out of you. And I pray NO dogs will look at you if you happen to cycle past as you presume them to be aggressive upon eye contact.

Regular Forumer
200 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 21st Apr 2013 9:11 AM    Quote and Reply

I believe safety for cyclists should be priority over academic concern. I do not like my friends to be endangered due to academics.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 21st Apr 2013 10:52 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891:

I believe safety for cyclists should be priority over academic concern. I do not like my friends to be endangered due to academics.

"

Pointing out your ignorance and fear mongering an academic matter? Well done sir.

Regular Forumer
200 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 21st Apr 2013 11:54 PM    Quote and Reply

What rbc means by 'academic concern' is probably the part where you asked him to keep quiet abt his stupidity than announce it to the world. Stupid --- low "academic concern". I don't get why some people try to sound so politically correct. relax la haiyoyo

I'm just here to tone my belly
Regular Forumer
741 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2013 6:19 AM    Quote and Reply

There is a difference bewteen safety for cyclists and safety for stray dogs. Can we believe which of you ignorant/stupid enough to ignore the difference? Or could we believe you got no friends among human?

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2013 1:46 PM    Quote and Reply

To straighten things ... Dogs in our urban context DO NOT look upon humans as food no matter how hungry they are. Reason simply because there are easier sources of food to be found.

The reason dogs chase cyclists or humans simply because you have been perceived to encroach on their 'territory'. And more often than not, purely for fun simply because they can sense you are more afraid of them than they are of you. In the typical context of dogs from the farms that bark at you, simply slow down and cycle in a confident and calm manner and pretend they are nothing more than a nuisance, once you're out of their 'zone' they will just let you be on your way. If you panic and try to get away, all the more they will chase you. Accidents happen because of that.

If you're really afraid of them attacking you while you're on your bike, stop, place the bike between you and them and walk away. 99.99% of the time ... its all bark and noise only.  This applies to all the farm dogs. Its much much safer than trying to outrun them.

As for ferral packs, the dynamics are slightly different as their 'zonal territories' are not as clearly defined.  Usually if you spot a pack at a distance, stop and get off the bike. See how they react. If they don't come towards you, then see how they move, if they are moving in some other direction, just wait. If they are moving in your direction, just turn around and calmly push your bike away. They will not chase as you are not considered 'food' as someone suggests here. They will only chase if you're considered a threat or they sense you're afraid of them and want to have some 'fun' with you by chasing and scaring you.  Dogs in our urban environment will only bite if you're considered a threat and encroach upon their territories.

If you encounter Dingo's in Australia or African Wild dogs in the Massai, those are different prepositions altogether.  Don't get them mixed up.

Lor Sor Forumer
523 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2013 2:41 PM    Quote and Reply

Agree with Maxx - all the wild dog packs in Singapore are stray domestic dogs - they are scavengers not hunters, they don't view you as food. All they do is make a lot of noise and maybe chase a bit, but not in a manner that could remotely be seen as preparing to attack - I've come across them a few times from Pasir ris round the north to LCK and have never felt the need to have to even slow down. To me slowing down and stopping, in their pack or going off on one screaming, shouting and showing fear makes it more likely that you will get bitten
Anyway I've never heard of a cyclist being attacked, they seem to think joggers taste better....lol

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 22nd Apr 2013 4:58 PM    Quote and Reply

I cycled alone many times from woodland to changi via lor halus to pasir ris drive 1 and I was barked and it indeed frightened me during the first time as I was all alone in the whole stretch of dim road without any single soul around.  I noticed that the dogs are quite far away and are fenced up at the other side.  Thus, I think it's still ok to ride along lor halus as so far I only hear dogs barking but no sight of any till now.

Regular Forumer
35 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2013 6:05 PM    Quote and Reply

Out-accelerated the dog trying to bite me along Tampines Industrial Avenue, years back. It did not bark, but growled (ex-colleague told me the dog that bit him did not bark at him as usual on that day, but growled before biting him). Just managed to steered away from the doog teeth in time along Loyang Drive, a couple of years back. It also did not bark, but growled. On the second occassion, the dog started barking for reinforcement after he missed bitting me. Soon dogs of all sizes came rushing towards me from factories along both sides of the road. Lucky to had out-accelerated them somehow.

Most people assume/imagine no one get bitten by dog(s), unless reported to them.   

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings