Topic: what bell do you use?

Posted on: 28th Jun 2013 10:57 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by fatmousey: but u need to take into consideration tat the air horn is freaking loud!! may scare old folks. use in caution u know"

Ha yes! Some people have told me it sounds like a boat horn or truck/trailer. Even I get scared when I use it. This is why good to have secondary friendly bell for pedestrians.  

Regular Forumer
276 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 28th Jun 2013 11:03 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Shahmatt:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by fatmousey: but u need to take into consideration tat the air horn is freaking loud!! may scare old folks. use in caution u know"

Ha yes! Some people have told me it sounds like a boat horn or truck/trailer. Even I get scared when I use it. This is why good to have secondary friendly bell for pedestrians.  "

haha! yeaa! if u change the horn part right , change it to  a longer tube , like the ones garanguni uses, the horn will be louder... just fyi haha!

Regular Forumer
55 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Jun 2013 9:48 PM    Quote and Reply

The hose of my Air Zound have broken into many small pieces. its closed to 10 years old now.  Anybody know where I can find replacement  ?

Btw, the volume or air flow can be regulated through a small turning knob next to the mount. I used to set it very low, not very likely to make people jump.

Bells, I have many, from "I love my bike", cateye to the $4 type from Giant hypermart. i have bell on all my bikes, even my daughter's tricycle has 1.

Senior Forumer
160 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Posted on: 29th Jun 2013 2:14 AM    Quote and Reply

the only have two ''bells'' one is the built in one which is called the mouth whr i go :' excuse me ' and my hubs sound

Regular Forumer
55 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Jun 2015 10:59 PM    Quote and Reply

I'm going to review on 3 different warning equipment. Bells, Hornit and Airzound.

Bells work best on pedestrian as they would recognize that as a bicycle alert as proven by some of those prank video by ringing a bell behind a strangerthe downside is motorized vehicle such as cars, van and lorry can't hear it.

Next you have  the Hornit, the world loudest electronic horn. 140db and definitely can be heard within a vehicle. The downside is the chirping and the beeping sound is not recognized as a warning sound. Especially when the driver is listening to some form of music. Pedestrian some time don't recognise that as a danger as well but instead a loud sound from the back and they turned to look. Good thing is it's battery operated and no hassle of activating it with the trigger installed at the place you want it.

Last but not least the Airzound. It's an air refillable air horn as loud as those race starter. It produce a sound so similar to a truck and is definitely recognized by those motorists vehicle. It also has a trigger where you can install near your handlebar for easy access. The downside is that you need to pump air constantly if used. And only some petrol koisk provide those air pump that can produce 100psi. Most stop at 60psi. Another possible issue is when used at pedestrian usually you would get scolded for scaring them! Haha XD

Basically Be Heard, Be Safe!
if you are travelling on the road. Get the Hornit or the Airzound as your company.

I can say cause I sell.
Carousell : Maxjie

Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Jul 2015 10:42 AM    Quote and Reply

i have both Hornit and Zound

I prefer the sound of Zound super loud like prime mover and scares the hell out of everyone nearby BUT I hate refilling air every couple of days and the mounting hardware it comes with is only good for small diameter handlebars ..... have to mod like crazy to mount it and nowhere to hide the air bottle..... stick it in the bottle cage and I have no where to keep my water bottle.  Conclusion :  LOVE the BLAST but hate the poor engineering
The air-tube of the Zound is a little too long for me..... why cant they screw the horn itself to the air bottle and design a clamp that will fit regular and OS handlebars ?  The zound's ONLY big deal secret is its air valve for pumping up the air bottle ..... there are alot of bottled air horns out there just as loud but the sad thing is they're all disposable and not refillable like the zound

Hornit is great, run on batteries BUT you need to know how to use it.  Its sound will not make you King of the road or PCN Boss , you need to 'compose' several Hornit songs to make people around you aware..... ya 140db damn loud but nobody really gives you any notice if u sound like a chirping bird on steroids.  

Regular Forumer
284 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Jul 2015 5:15 PM    Quote and Reply

A few months ago a friend gave me a Hornet.

Generally I try to minimize the amount of accessories on my road bike.

Standard attachments usually are:

• Garmin Edge 500

• Front and rear lights if out in the dark

• 2x Bottle cages and bottles

• 1x compact handpump

• 1x Saddlebag with tubes, tyre levers, patches, multi-tool, CO2 cannisters & cannister valve

No bell. I used to bring a whistle along to clear the way when riding on the PCN. Then I realised that riding a road bike on the PCN at speed is just dumb, and I was a real prat to be speeding along tooting a whistle to get people to move out of the way. No more of that, now the road bike is kept on the road.

So I received the Hornet as a gift, as we were waiting to board a bum boat from Changi Village to Pengerang.

With so little traffic and no traffic lights along the road from Pengerang to Desaru I did not expect to need a horn during the ride, however mounting it was the best way to transport it so onto the bars it went. 

Mounting is very easy with the rubber straps, so it can fit any size bar and tubing.

During the ride, we encountered a few packs of wild stray dogs, and I found out that the "bird chirp" setting was very effective to get the dogs to scatter.

About three weeks ago my friend and I headed to Batam for the six bridges route. For that ride I had the Hornet along and set for the ordinary 'horn' sound. This was useful for the 16 kilometres of 'city' traffic between the ferry terminal and the start of the open road, as the vehicles are tooting each other in a form of signalling. The Hornet sounds like a small car or motorcycle horn so my bicycle got a bit more respect than it would have from tinkling a bell.

When cycling in Singapore I have it along, set to the 'horn' sound. I rarely need it, but on a recent early morning ride it was useful as I biked through Geylang at 6am and there were many zombie/pedestrians jaywalking and looking the wrong way when stepping into the road.

It is also good to know that if stray dogs are encountered when riding in Singapore a toot in the 'bird chirp' mode will repell the strays and avoid dog bites. Don't call me paranoid, my wife suffered puncture wounds on her calf while we were bicycling in Pasir Ris and three stray dogs attacked us.

So as a recipient of the Hornet I can only say good things about it - a great accessory to have on the bars.

The Green Corridor Rail Trail

USER GUIDE (updated 27 June 2016) AT THIS LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zm-k4-KgqwoA.k9gUwceJLAk8
Regular Forumer
404 posts
Forum Rep: 14

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings