Topic: Cycling is not allowed on footway/pavement/sidewalk?

Posted on: 30th Aug 2012 3:26 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi,

I have read some interesting posts people here say that cycling is not allwed on footway.

After a quick search at Singapore Statues Online and found that it is "Vehicle" which is not allowed to parked or ridden on footway.

According to ROAD TRAFFIC ACT (CHAPTER 276, SECTION 140)

No vehicle to be driven, parked or ridden on footway of road
28.—(1) No vehicle, except perambulators, shall be driven, parked or ridden on the footway of a road.

If "bicycle" is a vehicle, cycling is not allowed on footway. However according to ROAD TRAFFIC ACT (CHAPTER 276), "bicycle" and "vehicle" is defined seperately.

Interpretation
2.—(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires —
“bicycle” means a two-wheeled pedal cycle constructed or adapted for use as a means of conveyance;
“tricycle” means a three-wheeled pedal cycle constructed or adapted for the carriage of goods;
“vehicle” means any vehicle whether mechanically propelled or otherwise;

Additionally, Cycling on footway will be fined only if you are involed in an accident with pedestrian. (not sure for the case againt another cyclist)

Please correct me, if anything is wrong.

Regular Forumer
23 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Aug 2012 5:22 AM    Quote and Reply

Not sure if someone pulling our legs

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Aug 2012 8:56 AM    Quote and Reply

I couldn't find the 'cycling on pavement is illegal' anywhere in the statutes... but I've heard of people being fined before for doing so, so I guess I take it as law. But I think a very, very small minority actually do get fined for doing so. I've been riding on pavement all this while and no police has ever stopped me.

But of course... if do so, then don't give the police any reason to book you lah... give pedestrians right of way, stop ringing the bell so rudely, and be willing to ride slowly and cautiously on pavement. If you want to go fast, get a road bike and ride on the road... then you can go as fast as you want.

Regular Forumer
706 posts
Forum Rep: 13

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Aug 2012 10:30 AM    Quote and Reply

hope this helps

Offences and Penalties Prescribed
under Section 132 of Act

85. Cycling along the footway of a road — in contravention of rule 28 of the Road Traffic Rules (R 20)

$20.

No vehicle to be driven, parked or ridden on footway of road
28.—(1)  No vehicle, except perambulators, shall be driven, parked or ridden on the footway of a road.

yes, its kinda confusing.
i dont try understanding much of the legal text
i take alook at the fine table first ($20) then work myself backwards.

http://www.cyclingsolutions.biz
Regular Forumer
313 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Posted on: 30th Aug 2012 10:43 AM    Quote and Reply

The recent news article (Home section) about cycling didn't state it either, come to think of it...

Regular Forumer
706 posts
Forum Rep: 13

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Aug 2012 10:47 AM    Quote and Reply

That is interesting; if we are not defined as a vehicle then we are allowed to cycle on the foot paths. If a cop tries to give me a ticket for cycling on the footpaths I will explain that to him and see how that works out for me;)

Don't tase me bro!

Regular Forumer
1,363 posts
Forum Rep: 12

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Aug 2012 11:04 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Don't tase me bro!"

got tased by friend before and i dont want to do it again. LOL

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/search/display/view.w3p;page=0;query=Id%3A%22a79aae7a-ad70-4c94-8b05-a96c6ee0ed8d%22%20Status%3Ainforce;rec=0

heres the link for all.
They classified differently: light vehicle, heavy vehicle, pedestrain and bicycle.

Regular Forumer
313 posts

Posted on: 30th Aug 2012 1:49 PM    Quote and Reply

Reading these 3 consecutively-- now Im really confused as to what amount on the road can a cyclist ride on...
If 2 abreast and you are on the right, obviously you arent able to be close to the left side... but then that is ok until a 3rd fella try to ride on your right... But as the second rider. how far right can you be relative to the rider on your left who must be "close" to the left hand edge of the road.

"that part of the road" and "close to the left hand edge"-- no numbers = open to interpretation of what is "close" or "that". Not that anyone will be pulling out a measuring tape but the ambiguities just make it difficult to comprehend and lends itself to all kind of argument when stopped and fined.

"which part?"
"that part loR?"
"that part is which part?"
"the part that is close to the left edge lah"
"ah.. left edge, ok i know. But then hor how close need to be to edge har?"
"Close to that part that is close to the left edge lor"
"Oh "that" PART arh! Ok I still dunno which part leh.. F#^K LAH-- TAKE BUS SUAK LIAO LAH.. "

Anyway screw the road... Im pavement riding all the way.

56. Riding a bicycle on the right of any 2 other bicycles proceeding abreast in the same direction — in contravention of rule 7(2) of the Road Traffic (Bicycles) Rules

$20

57. Riding a bicycle outside that part of a road or a path which has been set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles — in contravention of rule 7(3) of the Road Traffic (Bicycles) Rules

$20

58. Failing to ride a bicycle close to the left hand edge of the roadway — in contravention of rule 8 of the Road Traffic (Bicycles) Rules

http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.sg/
Regular Forumer
4,863 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Aug 2012 2:59 PM    Quote and Reply

yup confusing but ill try to help

56. no riding 3 bicycles beside each other

57. if there is a bike lane beside a road. zero bicycles can not use the road

58. zero riding on sidewalk

how far left? as far left as u can. common sense would dictate that.

i see that ur allergic to following road rules
be it behind a handlebar or a steering wheel
ur kind of peeps make sg road unsafe

Regular Forumer
313 posts

Posted on: 31st Aug 2012 12:36 AM    Quote and Reply

The rules are confusing - they are open to interpretation. There is a reason for this - I will let you work why.

There are contradictory parts to the various acts. Can you ride two abreast? It seems not, but then it seems so. It is not black & white. If you are not in breach of one you may be in breach of the other. Do you really want to go to court to find out?

Certainly a bicycle is a vehicle and you cannot cycle on the footpath. But then there are the "cycle towns" of Tampines, Pasir Ris and Bedok where you can cycle on footpaths.

Will you be fined for cycling on the footpath? It seems not unless there is a crackdown, in which case cycling on HBD void decks or whatever the target de jour is, is unwise.

What is the fine for cycling on the footpath? It seems to be $20. But then there are those "No cycling on the overpass - $1000 fine" signs. How does that work? Well it appears that this is under the same law as applies to cycling on the footpath anywhere. Yes, if you are charged with cycling on the footpath and convicted in a court the maximum fine is $1000! Has anyone ever been fined $1000 for cycling on the footpath? I have no idea.

One thing I did see is that there is special legislation for bicycle crossings - http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/search/display/view.w3p;page=0;query=DocId%3A%226cbce2f7-1819-459a-b47f-bd100fa4260e%22%20Status%3Ainforce%20Depth%3A0;rec=0 - is there a bicycle crossing anywhere in Singapore?

Is there anywhere in Singapore where rule 7 (3) would apply? I don't know of any dedicated bicycle paths on any roads or directly adjacent to any roads - are there any?

But at least I am making the correct hand signals - I wave my right arm up and down at all those motorists who I see coming up behind in my mirror that instead of giving me room want to brush by even when there are 2 or 3 lanes to spare!

Regular Forumer
166 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Aug 2012 7:05 AM    Quote and Reply

Some/more motorists these days are not wwell-versed with hand signalling, so we need to look out before hand signalling. One day a cyclist overtking me almost got jabbed in his left eye when I stretched my hand to hand signal, without looking out first.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings