Topic: Recumbent Bike?

Posted on: 18th May 2014 12:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891: Perhaps some over-sized sails to be considered? "

Looking at 21st century carbon, kevlar and mylar sails on the whike that velo posted - I think the oversized sails in the 80's was why they kept flipping - they were double the height and probably about 4X the surface area

Regular Forumer
2,632 posts
Forum Rep: 235

Posted on: 4th Jun 2014 10:08 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Way2see:
Quote:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by ratwoks: Risk of being run down from the rear higher with such a low ride.  Cyclists already cannot be seen by some motorists , this one is worse off even with flag or blinkers.  If you do not have back problems, you should not need full seat support and should ride a normal looking bike.  9 out of 10 will think a recumbent is for the handicap, though this is not the case when able-bodied use it as well."

You may be aware that some drivers can not even see the law. Example: driving without licence/motor insurance. I am studying if recumbent trike about same height as 1.2M height sports cars. If about there, may consider stowaway recumbent trike one day (my place now got lift landing at my floor)."

if you can find 1 sq metre of floor space at home, you should seriously consider the stowaway. "

Should I be looking for recumbent bike or trike? I am 1.65M, 76kg, currently cycling road bike size 52."

Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Jun 2014 8:27 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Ronyim:
Quote:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Way2see:
Quote:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by ratwoks: Risk of being run down from the rear higher with such a low ride.  Cyclists already cannot be seen by some motorists , this one is worse off even with flag or blinkers.  If you do not have back problems, you should not need full seat support and should ride a normal looking bike.  9 out of 10 will think a recumbent is for the handicap, though this is not the case when able-bodied use it as well."

You may be aware that some drivers can not even see the law. Example: driving without licence/motor insurance. I am studying if recumbent trike about same height as 1.2M height sports cars. If about there, may consider stowaway recumbent trike one day (my place now got lift landing at my floor)."

if you can find 1 sq metre of floor space at home, you should seriously consider the stowaway. "

Should I be looking for recumbent bike or trike? I am 1.65M, 76kg, currently cycling road bike size 52."
"

Both recumbent bike and trike will fit you. However do take note of the height requirement for some recumbents. Some tend to be longer and need 1.7m to ride it. Mostly the specs will highlight the suitable height requirements. 

Regular Forumer
342 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Jun 2014 2:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Sorry, it autoposted when I logged in :/

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Jun 2014 12:55 PM    Quote and Reply

Which to get; Performer Trike-F or the TW-Bents (EFUNBIKES) Artifice?  Has anyone tried either?  These are my most likely choices as I'll be able to view/try them. :)

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Jun 2014 7:57 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Ronyim: Which to get; Performer Trike-F or the TW-Bents (EFUNBIKES) Artifice?  Has anyone tried either?  These are my most likely choices as I'll be able to view/try them. :)
 "

You need to try them. Some people say it is the recumbent bike that choose the rider.  

Regular Forumer
342 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 13th Jun 2014 5:52 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Ronyim: Which to get; Performer Trike-F or the TW-Bents (EFUNBIKES) Artifice?  Has anyone tried either?  These are my most likely choices as I'll be able to view/try them. :)
 "

If you've never ridden a recumbent bike before, it's best that you try one out.  Each type will have it's own riding and/or handling characteristics.  Bikes and trikes are poles apart for characters.

Prior to getting a ride, find out your x-seam.  That is more relevant than your overall height.  Most rides have adjustable booms to cater to different leg lengths.  On others, the seat moves to accommodate that.

My first recumbent bike was a low racer.  That one came with a learning curve that left me bruised and scarred.  Since then I've had another low racer and two high racers (both front- and rear-wheel drives).

If you're on Facebook, I suggest you get look for, and join, "Laid-Back HPV SG."  There are several Performer owners there.  Of those, two are JC70 owners, the others have bikes of various persuasions.  One of the trike owners isn't happy with the QC of his frame, and Performer doesn't appear willing to sort things out.  You can set out your questions there.

i have no experience with TW Bent rides other than having spoken to Kevin Kao prior to his illness and sale of the company, and bought some parts.

Regular Forumer
304 posts
Forum Rep: 5

Riding:
Posted on: 13th Jun 2014 2:47 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks!  Appreciate the insight.

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings