Topic: Howard Lance (+19192898090)

Posted on: 9th Feb 2016 12:58 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi all,

Please be careful about dealing with a seller claiming to be working as a Marine Engineer in the Bahamas. He contacted me via the number +19192898090, claiming that he would like to buy my bike posted on togoparts. He requested me to send him an email. Things got fishy when he insisted on using paypal and claimed to have transferred money to me. An e-receipt from a "seemingly legitimate" PayPal was sent out. However, this amount was not deposited to my account. The amount "transferred" was $1400 SGD, of which $600 were freight charges. He wanted me to pay for it so I could get the full sum in the end. I called up PayPal and submitted the details of the buyer to the respective agency. First received the text yesterday (08 Feb 16), so I fear there might be others affected. Not sure how I can reach the togopart admin, so this seems like the only method to inform togopart users of the case.

For your information and caution, please.
Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Feb 2016 2:04 PM    Quote and Reply

looks like from nigeria

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Feb 2016 9:22 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi, I've also been contacted by Howard Lance at the same number to buy my Pinarello.

He will first ask you to contact him at his email address howardlance94@gmail.com"> howardlance94@gmail.com, asking you to state your "final price".

He then replies to my email saying the following:

"Hi, how I wsh I could come and inspect the Merchandise but currently i'm working away from the country. I'm a marine engineer who's on a ship right now in Bahamas.so i'll be buying the Merchandise without seeing it, Due to the distance as me being in Bahamas presently, i'll arrange the pick-up of the Merchandise with a Private Courier Service as soon as you get your payment, I need you to provide the following details so that I can proceed with the Payment...

Your Name :
Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Your Mobile Number :
Price is OK

Soon as I make the payment and you get the funds, the Courier Service will come and pick up the Merchandise at your home at your convenient time also the courier will help me sign the required papers.

Have a nice day"

I then proceeded to ask him whether I can drop it off at his courier's head office, and what the method of payment is.

He then replied the following:

"I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking and i can't go to the bank due to the nature of my job, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payments asap for the item and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through."

I won't be replying further as clearly its a scam.

Please take care and stay vigilant against these scams.

Feel free to contact me if you need any information about this.

Thanks.

Regular Forumer
19 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Feb 2016 4:39 PM    Quote and Reply

This Howard Lance also contacted me by sms. The number with the +1 was suspicious to me and so I didn't reply. Also my bike was sold over a week ago. 

Sellers, be careful as this scammer is not the only one out there! 

Freshie Forumer
6 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 13th Feb 2016 12:36 AM    Quote and Reply

Same tactic used on my posted sale. Received the email acknowledgement of "Paypal" which include freight charge. What caught my attention was using Western Union as payment for freight charges. I went on to check my paypal acc but I didn't see any payment, which I then realised it's a scam to get you to pay "freight charges" upfront. 

All sellers pls beware of this Lance Howard.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings