Topic: Solo Ride from Sg to Malacca - Request for Info

Posted on: 29th Jul 2017 6:22 PM    Quote and Reply

There have been quite a few posts on the same topic.  Read them all and still have some questions.  Would appreciate if pros here can advise.

1.  Crossing the Border
Gathered that I cycle up the car lane. Then carry bike over to motorcycle lane and proceed.  Right?  And what are the cash cards that I need to purchase?  There have been quite some changes in regulations and I lost track of what are the latest. 

2.  Pontian Seafood
Someone mentioned that the Pontian Seafood is not to be missed.  Which seafood restaurant specifically?  Zu Qiu?

3. Bike
Planning to buy an average bike around $500 budget. 
- Vert V8, 20in foldie? Advantage is that I can bring it on bus when there is a need
- Giant Escape 2? Slightly above my budget. 
- Giant ATX 2?  This would be a hardtail.

Thanks.
Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Jul 2017 10:29 AM    Quote and Reply

1.  Crossing the Border
>> Go via the motorcycle lane.
No cash card needed (no fees needed for bike).

3. Bike
>> Its really up to you (fitness level, resolve and planning).

Do get some level of training riding long distances (with climbs) as well as being able to fix punctures.

Regular Forumer
91 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 31st Jul 2017 10:38 AM    Quote and Reply

No problem with punctures or simple repair.  Lacking training.  Will do some long rides before heading up.  Thanks.

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Jul 2017 8:23 PM    Quote and Reply

IMHO bike choices really depend on the type of bikepacking one is planning to do? If sticking strictly to roads or mapped tarmacs i think roadies would be best? If planning to explore forest trails, streams, etc i would pick either a gravel bike, HT or Rigid Fork MTB with slightly thicker tires perhaps? I've studied what peeps in the US bike forums choose for the all terrain sort of bike packing and a strong lightish Titanium frame in the form of a HT or Rigid mtb seems popular but obviously way above your budget haha

Regular Forumer
173 posts
Forum Rep: 29

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Jul 2017 10:13 PM    Quote and Reply

A titanium hardtail or rigid would be great but it hurts the pocket. What's more, as I will be going solo, an expensive bike could invite unnecessary troubles. That's why I am looking at mid range or entry level bikes. I somewhat narrow down to Giant Escape 2 or ATX 1.  But Tay Cycle has no more escape 2 on stock. So either I take ATX 1 or wait till Escape 2 is available.  Anyway, no hurry. Still planning now.

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings