Topic: Bike for cycling from Singapore to Malacca and beyond.

Posted on: 6th Jun 2015 8:47 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by yamcake: Thanks for the info guys!

Unfortunately, I don't have a bike at the moment. That's why I was considering getting something that's suited for this purpose, and yet not too expensive. That's why I'm keeping a lookout at 2nd hand bikes. Seems like 2nd hand touring bicycles are few and far between. 

I was reading online and found out that people tend to go for 26" tyres because of easily availability along the road. Is this a big deal in Malaysia? Also, would road bikes be able to handle the weight if I were to add on racks for panniers?

"
To my knowledge, most steel frame road bikes are able to handle up to 125Kg, if you use stronger wheelsets and tire (my recommendation). I bought steel road bike for its toughness to handle rough usage. Otherwise, consider recumbent bike/trike if heavier load to carry along. Most people seems able to get along with tourer or steel bike. DIY knowledge/skills very useful (not every where got LBS).

Regular Forumer
6,089 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Jun 2015 10:22 AM    Quote and Reply

Wheel size is no big deal unless you are planning on heading off to India or Africa for 6 months or something. There are plenty of good bike shops in most of the big towns. 
I would definitely look at Surly bikes if you want a tourer,can build relatively cheap and plenty of upgrade options. Just need to decide whether you want an off-road capable one or not.  

Regular Forumer
2,627 posts
Forum Rep: 232

Posted on: 23rd Mar 2017 9:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi i am thinking of getting into Bikepacking and would like to use Malaysia as a test bed before venturing to other countries? I have taken my 26" hardtail MTB solo into Johor but thats as far as i ventured so far. My plan is strictly no hotels/resorts i.e retire for the day in tentage, tarps, etc? Has anyone done this kind of bikepacking in Malaysia and can you offer any advice/tips? Maybe can stock up on canned food in JB megamarts and pack in portable stove, etc? Maybe aim for Malacca and later KL perhaps? Oh also after my Johor solo trip i have decided to polish up on bike maintenance, repair and to educate myself on bike parts am considering bike building from scratch? I am considering buliding a budget minded but highly upgradable 29er hardtail which would eventually see action beyond Malaysia if all goes well in future haha

Regular Forumer
158 posts
Forum Rep: 21

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Mar 2017 10:11 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by pinelights: Hi i am thinking of getting into Bikepacking and would like to use Malaysia as a test bed before venturing to other countries? I have taken my 26" hardtail MTB solo into Johor but thats as far as i ventured so far. My plan is strictly no hotels/resorts i.e retire for the day in tentage, tarps, etc? Has anyone done this kind of bikepacking in Malaysia and can you offer any advice/tips? Maybe can stock up on canned food in JB megamarts and pack in portable stove, etc? Maybe aim for Malacca and later KL perhaps? Oh also after my Johor solo trip i have decided to polish up on bike maintenance, repair and to educate myself on bike parts am considering bike building from scratch? I am considering buliding a budget minded but highly upgradable 29er hardtail which would eventually see action beyond Malaysia if all goes well in future haha"

interesting, recently this year trying out the bikepacking style. just done a short 2D1N over last weekend to test out. only using the handlebar pack of 9 litre capacity. Only do hotel stay & eat at kopitiam/warong for meals. need to bring xtra cash as bikepacking format unable like traditional panniers to pack more stuffs. need to pack efficiently.

Regular Forumer
1,338 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 24th Mar 2017 10:12 AM    Quote and Reply

bike wise. i stick to 26'' rigid mtb, due to LBS issue outside spore - spare tube avail. finding common sizing & valve offer.

Regular Forumer
1,338 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 28th Mar 2017 10:34 AM    Quote and Reply

I've toured Batam, Bintan, Perth, SG-Malacca and done 200km brevets into Malaysia on a 18" Tyrell Ive.

If folding and taking transport or more convinient packing/air travel is part of the travels, a folding bike can work well.

The main thing is fit and comfort.
Bike type is secondary so long as the necessary spares are brought along.

Typically touring will be more like 70-110km a day only, with the rest of the time for relaxation, looking around.
Usually, mileage per day above that and the cycle tour becomes more 'cycle centric' than 'tour centric'.

Going 70-90km a day on road conditions that can vary thru the day, does not require fast speed.
So a comfortable upright position on the bars will help.
It also allows one to have better sighting.
However, the downside is that this position in not that good for headwinds.
So a drop bar would be welcome.  (though not necessary)

Regular Forumer
91 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 28th Mar 2017 9:30 PM    Quote and Reply

Whoa thks guys for sharing your experiences and pointers ^^ Well i would like to avoid as many creature comforts as possible so prefer not to resort to combining bikepacking with bus/trains/ect and maybe limit one meal if i really have to w.r.t roadside kopitiams, etc hehe I suppose this means i have to pack in more stuff and yes i have trained 100km+ per day in typical hot, humid weather and seems doable (though not exactly setting speed records haha) My thinking is actually using the bike rig as a structural beam as part of tentage/tarp so i can keep an eye on it as well as not worry if it starts raining - logical or too much hassle?

Regular Forumer
158 posts
Forum Rep: 21

Singapore
Posted on: 29th Mar 2017 9:44 AM    Quote and Reply

IMO, no point the additional suffering by limiting the food and accomodation options.
Esp so if you are cycling in Malaysia.
Camping makes more sense in cooler climes imo.
Here, you are dirty, smelly, bugged, hot at the end of the ride.
All just to save a few dollars.
A cheap place to stay is maybe $30?

Food stalls are plentiful, provide cheap, tasty and good sustainance.
Not sure why you would rather cook oatmeal hunched over a fire in sweaty conditions, over some nasi lemak.   :D

Do think it out.
Don't plan to suffer for suffer sake.

Regular Forumer
91 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings